Spydie knife boxes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Revival

Spydie knife boxes

Post by Revival »

Ok I know this is a weird topic but I am really curious about this. When you recieve your new Spydie, what do you do with the box? Do you keep it mint as possible? Throw it away? Don't care?

Reason I ask is becasue I recently did a trade and the box the knife came in was pretty trashed. I was pretty disappointed as I like to keep my boxes mint as possible even if its a knife I plan on keeping and using . I currently have couple knives up for trade and on a couple offers I got, the owner said they had no box which has never happened until recently. So I was curious to know if its common for people to throw the boxes away? Or how does a box get trashed?
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Revival,
I keep all my boxes, matter of fact, I've got two boxes of boxes.
I try to keep them in good shape.
There's value in the complete package if you plan on selling.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Even though I rarely sell or trade knives I save all my boxes and do my best to keep them in the same condition they arrived in. Unfortunately, even knives purchased brand new from dealers occasionally appear to have been packed for shipment by someone on either their first, or last, day on the job.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I do try to keep my boxes; but I can understand why someone with a larger collection would throw in the towel. My box storage takes up almost as much space as my knives and I really will probably never use 95% of them for anything. Maybe just a hold over from the baseball card/mint comic mindset. Anyways, if my collection got too much larger I would either have to move boxes to a box in the attic or just give up and toss them day one.
Revival

Post by Revival »

dgebler wrote:Maybe just a hold over from the baseball card/mint comic mindset.
I was thinking about this too. I always considered myself a small collector and still have alot of my cards, comics and sports figures mint in the packaging. For the people that keep their boxes, I dont expect the boxes to be mint, but I dont want to recieve one that looks like a 2 year old played with either.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I've got a bag of boxes on top of the wardrobe- most in various states of repair, but they are safe enough where they are.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I also have boxes of boxes. I find that shoe and boot boxes work best. I currently them under my bed
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I keep boxes. You never know, if you will need them.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
nccole

Post by nccole »

Shoe box holds them nicely in the closet. Never sold or traded a Spydie, so I am not sure exactly why I keep them, just do.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I keep boxes for knives that are NIB or that I might sell later. All my users I toss it out. If ur gonna sell a user I don't think it matters as much of there's a box or not as people won't be buying it for collecting purposes most likely
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I recycle most of my boxes, except for some of the older ones in the white boxes. I simply don't have room for them all. Since I have no plans to sell most of my knives, they are unnecessary. Plus, if all my knives are in boxes, I'm less likely to play with them!

If I do sell one, I'd ship it in a small pouch for protection...

TedP
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Keep all my boxes (even cheap brands).
I just love knives and everything they come with.
Even crappy boxes, the little bags they come in, booklets, pouches, stickers, certificates, everything.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I keep all the boxes, paperwork, etc., for just about everything I buy. Sometimes tastes or priorities change, and it's always better to have all the original accessories when selling, trading, or gifting.

I keep most of the boxes in big plastic storage bins.
:bug-red-white
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

My wife is frustrated that I keep my boxes. This summer will be our 4th move in as many years. I always have to find a new place for them out of the way, yet accessible. I've only sold a few, and am wondering if the premium is worth keeping all the boxes for the relative few I'll sell. Then I think, if hard times ever come, I'll definitely want every cent I can get. So I lug them around and let them clutter our closet.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Revival

Post by Revival »

Holland wrote:I keep boxes for knives that are NIB or that I might sell later. All my users I toss it out. If ur gonna sell a user I don't think it matters as much of there's a box or not as people won't be buying it for collecting purposes most likely
I would like ALL of my knives to have boxes even the users. That was kind of what made me start this thread. What is your interpretation if hypothetically someone that is selling/trading with you, a knife that had no box? Would you assume its a user? If that person said its hardly used, would you believe them? I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything Holland, just trying to pick your brain.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I've bought a couple never used Spydercos with no boxes. This particular guy kept his collection displayed, and threw out all his boxes. It just depends on the situation.

BTW, his prices were really good. Partially because he was missing the boxes.
:bug-red-white
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I've torn some boxes accidentally trying to open the tab, and I've had some arrived damaged compliments of the post office (fortunately the *knives* inside the boxes were OK). I started trying to keep them, but with over 200, they do take up some space, plus I've never yet sold or traded a Spyderco (I have gifted some).

When I die my daughters will have the chore of disposing of them. They don't know enough about the different varieties to be able to match a knife with a box though, and they may decide to keep some rather than sell them. I have given them each several Spyderco's, so at least they recognize the name brand.

I have very few truly "new-in-box" knives except duplicates I bought "just in case" something happened to the first, because I do carry and use just about all of them.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
nccole

Post by nccole »

rodloos wrote:I've torn some boxes accidentally trying to open the tab, and I've had some arrived damaged compliments of the post office (fortunately the *knives* inside the boxes were OK). I started trying to keep them, but with over 200, they do take up some space, plus I've never yet sold or traded a Spyderco (I have gifted some).

When I die my daughters will have the chore of disposing of them. They don't know enough about the different varieties to be able to match a knife with a box though, and they may decide to keep some rather than sell them. I have given them each several Spyderco's, so at least they recognize the name brand.

I have very few truly "new-in-box" knives except duplicates I bought "just in case" something happened to the first, because I do carry and use just about all of them.
I also consider them for after I die. A lot of work with 200 knives, but you could put little piece of paper in the box with a "do not sell for less than" number in there. If you were really nerdy (a lot of us are :D ) you could take a picture and put it in the empty box as well. Then again, wouldn't you love to be the guy that finds another knife nut's collection after he dies and give a fair amount but still get some nice pieces for a good price?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have a large rubbermaid tote that provides me waterproof storage for all of my boxes. I keep a copy of the receipts in each box.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
saltybones

Post by saltybones »

i keep all the boxes, i keep the knives in the boxes instead of displaying them, the ones in my rotation are in a drawer then go back into their respective boxes when i swap knives out for EDC. so they're all in boxes, in a bigger box with the labels facing out so i know which ones they are ha :D