A Harpy, a Tasman, or a Lil' Matriarch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RealKnifeUser

A Harpy, a Tasman, or a Lil' Matriarch?

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Hello everyone!

I have been debating which of these 3 to get (first), and since I have NO EXPERIENCE with the Salt series, hawkbills, reverse-s, stainless handles, or the Spyderedge, I thought I'd ask you guys. Planned use is as a companion blade to a normal, most likely PE Spyder like an Endura or Native. Frequent, if not constant carry is the goal. Sometimes pocket carry, but IWB when out and about in public. I know the Tasman is the lightest, but its also thicker than the SS Harpy, which, in combination with the drying vent and smooth handle contours make me think its the way to go. I'm also really looking at the Lil Mat as a standalone EDC or companion. Do any of you have some advice for me? I'd love to hear everyone's picks for my described needs, along with your reasoning behind it, since I can handle none of the three. Plus a good discussion is always nice, thats what we're here for, right?

-Ryan
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I have a Harpy and a lil matriarch. I prefer the lil Matriarch. The reverse S blade is a good compromise between a hawk bill and a regular blade IMHO. I think I saw them on sale at gp knives BTW
peter469

Post by peter469 »

I carry a Ladybug H1 hawkbill when I work out and love that I can forget it in a sweat drenched pocket without any issues. I plan to get a Tasman as my next purchase :)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Any of those would be a good choice. It comes down to personal preference. I've owned all three, and I really like the Lil Matriarch.

:bug-red-white
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

It's a tougie, but a nice problem to have- choice is a good thing, and all 3 are great knives.

I own a Harpy and a Lil Matriarch.
The Reverse S on the Lil is not that pronounced but still very useful- at the tip it is very thin still.
The Harpy is very tough in use, and the stainess handle adds nice balance. But it is heavier.

Both with the Spyder edge excel at heavy donkey work that a plain edge might baulk at.

Personally- for an EDC Do-It-All- I'd go with something like a Delica, but if your heart's set on a hawk/S then go for it.
But as a companion to a PE larger knife, I'd go with the Harpy.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Of the three the Lil Matriarch has the most evolved handle. I haven't held a Harpy and do love the Tasman but in comparison it's optioned like a rental truck. Totally functional and very cool, just less frills.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I own a Harpy, Tasman and a Civilian. The Lil Matriarch is on my list. BTW the Harpy was in "The Silence of the Lambs"
PM2(Camo/Satin) Military (Safety Orange, Camo), Endura (Wave, ZDP-189, Super Blue), Gayle Bradley, Techno, Pacific Salt PE, Tasman Salt SE, Harpy, Manbug ZDP-189, Dragonfly Aus 8, Ladybug (Red with CE...1990ish), Cricket SE, Civilian.
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Would any of you say the Lil' Matriarch kinda eliminates the need for a companion leaf blade? If its a good compromise between the hawkbill and regular leaf like billy blade said, I might just go with that. I love VG-10 too. Best steel all-around in my somewhat limited experience.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Thanks for the replies everyone !

Demoncase- I'm planning on a stainless SE Endura when I buy the hawk or reverse s, for the exact point you made. I think they both have thier uses, and maybe I'll even carry both SE's at the same time. Plus, to get a good feel for Spyderedge in general, I think both are needed, almost as a point of referance to eachother :D
- Miguel de Unamuno

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I tried to carry the Lil Matriarch as my main and only EDC, but I prefer a plain edge for a lot of the tasks I regularly do, like opening mail and cutting cardboard boxes. SE blades are great for some things, but I find I also need a PE for most of my daily uses.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea. A good companion would be a Ladybug. Reverse S and Hawkbills are specialized blades not to mention a tad freaky to the uninitiated :p

Bento Box Shop has a plain edge Lil Matriarch as an exclusive. It's more money but I'm tempted to grab one. It's a solid little knife.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

RealKnifeUser wrote:Would any of you say the Lil' Matriarch kinda eliminates the need for a companion leaf blade? If its a good compromise between the hawkbill and regular leaf like billy blade said, I might just go with that. I love VG-10 too. Best steel all-around in my somewhat limited experience.
I found it a compromise only when comparing SE to SE. When I carry my Lil Matriarch I will still carry a PE of some sort, usually a Delica. I prefer PE blades. I'm a loyal Delica user and the Lil Matriarch was a perfect choice for me since it's handle shape/size is based on the Delica
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Blerv! Thank you! That Lil' Matriarch, dark blue plain edge, looks VERY nice. Price reflects it but its honestly not that bad
- Miguel de Unamuno

Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

All three would be solid choices I think. I prefer the Tasman though.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

I have Tasman PE, Civilian, and Matriarch with Emerson wave. I like my Tasman the best.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I've been contemplating this as well. If I do, I'll probably get the blue handled PE Lil' Matriatch from BentoBoxShop.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea the nice thing about FRN is you start at a much lower price point :) . I'm smitten with my serrated Lil M. It's basically the most aggressive Delica you can buy w/o losing all the creature comforts.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have held the Harpy and owned the other two. Of the three, the Lil M is a mean companion to any PE model you can carry. That's what I do. Weak side to compliment my Military, Manix 2, etc.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

SE Tasman! :spyder:
Lowcald

Post by Lowcald »

I don't have a Harpy, but I do own and have edc'd both the Lil Matriarch and the Tasman. My preference is the Lil Matriarch because I do find the blade slightly more functional and I do like that it has skeletonized liners. When you squeeze the Tasman the handle bends inward. I don't doubt the Tasman would hold up w/out the liners, I just like having them. The handle becomes so light that there isn't a good balance like there is with the Lil Matriarch.

I've carried a Delica 4 for years and just love that handle. So it may be with some bias that I give the nod to the Lil Matriarch. I highly suggest carrying both.

Last thing, if the rust resistance of the Tasman is of any benefit to you then I would consider it. It's nice to have a knife that you can carry in wet conditions and not worry about rust.
Delica 4 x2 (lost one), Endura 4 (lost), Tasman Salt, Tenacious, Byrd Cara Cara 2 G-10, Byrd Hawkbill, Lil Matriarch, PM2 (black on black)