A Harpy, a Tasman, or a Lil' Matriarch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I would recommend checking out the ladybug salt hawkbill. its an amazing knife to through on the key chain, performs way better than its size suggests
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm thinking I'll get a regular Lil' Matriarch and a PacificSalt in yellow SE. The features of the Salt knives make me want one for fishing/summer use, and the Lil' Matriarch is getting a lot of recommendations and seems perfect for my aggressive SE companion knife to my FFG Endura :D
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I'd go with the Tasman Salt. Wonderful knife, excellent steel.
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Holland - After looking into the Ladybug Salt hawkbill on your recommendation it seems like a purposefull and very durable knife especially for the price, but I've never handled one, does it cut out of its proportion like the Dragonfly 2 does? Not the same cutting power, just rekative to its size, like a ratio almost.
"The skeptic does not mean he who doubts, but he who investigates or researches, as opposed to he who asserts and thinks that he has found."
- Miguel de Unamuno

Military Black G-10 DLC, Byrd Meadowlark 2 G-10, Lil Matriarch, Pacific Salt SE yellow, Endura 4 ffg brown, Native FRN PE, Dragonfly 2 Orange, Ulize, Sharpmaker and UF rods. Also, Cold Steel Voyager XL Clip PE, Kershaw Volt II (on loan), many fixed blades, and a KP strop block.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I feel it does at least the job. The hawk SE is a cutting beast. The only limitation is the handle for intense work x time due to effective grip.

In the .6 oz knife league it's a heavy weight world champ :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

RealKnifeUser wrote:Holland - After looking into the Ladybug Salt hawkbill on your recommendation it seems like a purposefull and very durable knife especially for the price, but I've never handled one, does it cut out of its proportion like the Dragonfly 2 does? Not the same cutting power, just rekative to its size, like a ratio almost.
lets just say you will be pleasantly surprised ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
gph

Post by gph »

Holland wrote:lets just say you will be pleasantly surprised ;)
+ 1

Gripped regularily or even upside down it's a great little tool.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I don't have a Tasman but I carried an SE merlin for several years and it's excellent. for my left front pocket I alternate usually between an SE Spyderhawk, Byrd Meadowlark Hawkbill SE and an SE Matriarch with the Emerson opener. All are great knives with the advantages SE hawkbills offer. The Byrd is less menacing to NKPs and has a choil, the Spyderhawk is an outstanding hiking/gardening companion and the Matriarch is a great SD knife that also excels at opening beer bottles. ;)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would opt for the Harpy myself, as I prefer the handle shape and ergonomics over the Delica style handle. In fact, if the Delica had a Harpy handle, I would likely own several Delicas, but that's a whole other topic. I would love to see a G10 or FRN version of the Harpy though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

Anyone have some comparison pics? I've got pretty big hands, xl glove, and that's why I've been leaning towards the 4.25" delica handle over the 3.88" harpy, but I did REALLY enjoy the SS endura, DF and Police I looked at a while back. Maybe the smaller and thinner profile of the Harpy would be better for frequent carry but relatively infrequent use? Tough choices, especially without a point of reference :rolleyes: Pacific Salt is a definite yes though.
- Miguel de Unamuno

RealKnifeUser

Post by RealKnifeUser »

I got the Lil Matriarch and a Pacific Salt SE yellow. Might do a detailed cutting comparison between these two and an endura over the weekend, anyone interested? An assortment of materials, pics, initial thoughts on knives?
- Miguel de Unamuno

opusxpn

Post by opusxpn »

+1 on the ladybug hawkbill h1, I do carry a salt 1 PE often with LB3 hawkbill as back up lot of knife for size. Or an Endura PE with LB3/manbug SE for dry weather. I really like my enduras but never opt to get a pacific salt there are no liners on such a large blade dont feel sturdy enough for me.
Keep'em sharp :spyder: 9 Enduras, 4 Manix, Manix XL DLC, 3 Delicas, 5 Ladybug, 2 Manbug, 4 Dragonfly, Pingo, Cat, 3 Salt1, Pacific salt, Tasman, 3 stretch, 2 Tenacious, Resiliance, Robyn2 G10, 2byrd hawkbill, 4Para2, 2Military, native5 frn, Bradley folder, SpyDK, Kiwi, MT19, salt saver, Street bowie, Roadie,Squeak, 5 UKPK, k05 SE, k04 SE & PE
elena86

Post by elena86 »

HARPY screams quality.It's beatiful and dangerous in the same time.And a great user.I love it !
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Harpy has the thickess blade, which some would consider a plus, but it's also the heaviest and has the most slippery handle,

Tasman uses H-1, and serrated H-1 holds an edge better than serrated VG-10. Plus, the only way you can get it to corrode is by exposing it to corrosives strong enough that you wouldn't want to breath or touch them.

Lil Matriarch give you the option of belly or hawkbill but, at least IMHO, belly isn't really all that useful on a serrated blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!