Quick review: Spyderco Delica Super Blue is super cool

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Quick review: Spyderco Delica Super Blue is super cool

Post by Mr Blonde »

I am no steeljunkie. In fact, I prefer stainless blade steels because I like their performance just fine and I can keep them looking nice. I love high performance steels, but my inner-collector wants to be able to keep those instruments looking great. This is why I wasn’t terribly excited when the first Super Blue sprint runs came out of the Spyderco factory. Those full Super Blue blades seem to tarnish like the knives of yesteryear. However, a laminated Super Blue sprint was just right for someone like me. It offered a chance and excuse for me to try out this steel, and the blade would still look great afterwards.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

When I unpacked the Delica, I was struck by the odd blue/gray color of the handle and the light film of oil on the blade. The Delica is one of my favorite Spyderco designs, so the knife itself was very familiar to me. The edge was something else though. Out of the box, the edge on this Delica sprint run was probably the sharpest I have ever encountered. After a quick switch of the clip to the (for me) proper left-handed location, this folder was ready to go.

Mr Blonde

Test process

Post by Mr Blonde »

I proceeded to carry and use the Super Blue Delica as my only user for over a month. I thought it would be fun to track the blade’s progress in the accompanying pictures. While the blade excelled in opening all sorts of packages, envelopes etc…, this folder shined in the kitchen. Cutting up fruit and food for dinner, caused the blade to tarnish. I actually started to enjoy this process. Each time I cut up some food items, I was curious to see how the blade would discolor.

Mr Blonde

Food prep

Post by Mr Blonde »

This thin sharp Super Blue steel was amazing for food prep. Somehow, the Super Blue steel seemed to cut ‘better’, and the edge seemed to have lasted longer than, say, my ZDP189 blades. After a month I decided to sharpen it and that hair popping edge came right back after only a few swipes on my Sharpmaker. I wasn’t particularly hard on the blade, and the soft 420 steel that was used in the blade’s sandwich was hardly scratched up.

Mr Blonde

Impressed

Post by Mr Blonde »

Overall, my little test and experiences with this particular flavor of Delica 4 left me very impressed with Super Blue steel. It’s very sharp and stays that way for a long time, and it sharpens very easily. The discoloration was fun, and it adds a cool look to the rest of the stainless blade. I totally get the appreciation for the full Super Blue sprints now. Still, I’m going to stick with the laminated blades for now and I’m looking forward to the laminated sprint runs. I am, after all, a user and collector.

senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Nice. I like the progressive patina shots. The SB Delica is a great knife. I had one that I let go and I've been really tempted lately to get another.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very nice review. I think I want the Dragonfly.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great review and pics as always :) . Agreed, the progression shot was very cool.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

nice review.

the sb Delica has not left my pocket since it was released.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I absolutely love mine. The 420 scratches easily so I don't see it's usefulness in keeping the knife pretty. I would rather it not be laminated. I have owned some 1095 knives and always found it easy to wet sand them back to new after some mistreatment. They are mainly camp knives. I don't need powdercoat or a lamination to protect my non-stainless steel blades. That said, I will be picking up a stretch or dragonfly. Edge retention for me has been adequate but it is the ease of sharpening that I love. Get this thing under 30 degrees and run a 30 degree micro bevel and this steel gets SHARP!
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Great review. The Delica is my favorite knife.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Nice review. I just picked up a caly 3 SB and watching the patina form was very exciting. I'll be getting the ladybug in SB when they drop.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Nice job, thanks for posting. Great pics as always......
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Nice pics, as always!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome review! Thanks for the photos
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Nice review :) To my surprise also laminated Super Blue works quite nicely in a folder. Especially when you like things sharp :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
willc

Post by willc »

The Super Blue is a great steel and I would love to see many more models with this steel.
LH Millie/ PM2 digi/ Tenacious/ Dragonfly/ Persian2/ Endura Super Blue
Cruwear Millie/ Manix2 XL/ Manix2/ Swick3/Gayle Bradley/ Delica SB/ Sage3
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Thanks everyone for checking out my little review and pictures.
bearfacedkiller wrote:I absolutely love mine. The 420 scratches easily so I don't see it's usefulness in keeping the knife pretty. I would rather it not be laminated...
So far, the 420 on my Delica has held up, but in time it will scratch. The 420 sides on my zdp189 Calypso jr. sprint show plenty proof of that. I'd easily pay extra to have the 420 upgraded to something like ATS34 which IIRC was mentioned briefly when the idea for a laminated SB sprint was initially discussed.
Holland

Post by Holland »

this makes me want to go against trying to minimize my hoard and buy all the SB sprints
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Holland wrote:this makes me want to go against trying to minimize my hoard and buy all the SB sprints
Don't even kid about that...
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden