Swick Hawkbill

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Plain edge would be preferable for me. I picked up the Swick 3, skipping the 4 but would totally grab the hawkbill. Swick 5?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Plain edge please (unless it's coming in H-1)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

sal wrote:plain or serrated?

sal

Thank you for asking for our input on grind choice. I would purchase either one. Both have their merits depending on the cutting task at hand. For Serrated I would have to vote for H1. Plain edge I vote S30V IMHO. However, setting my personal feeling aside I will leave it up to you and your team Sal. You folks know what sells best.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

gtrtech wrote:Plain please.
Also would like to see this version.
[ATTACH]23239[/ATTACH]
Ok grtech what's the story on this beauty?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would prefer a plain edge s30v hawkbill but a H1 serrated edge would be cool too. I think a sheepsfoot serrated H1 Swick could be useful as well. A rescue Swick. The sheepsfoot enuff blade is only about a half inch longer than the swick blade.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I'm in. I don't have a preference between SE or PE.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

billy blade wrote:Ok grtech what's the story on this beauty?
It was designed by a forum member a few test pieces were made,and it seems that's was a far as it went.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ue%20swick
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

I like the idea of hawkbill Swick, if it's made in Edge upward configuration. The other way around (Edge facing in "normal" direction) it would rather awkward to use with index finger in the hole. Plain or serrated, I'd prefer H1 in both configurations over S30V.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

gtrtech wrote:It was designed by a forum member a few test pieces were made,and it seems that's was a far as it went.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ue%20swick
Thanks that was a good read. I missed that one in 05.
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

If I could only choose one, I think I would go with the plain edge. I would buy both if they were available. I'd be happy with whichever steel Spyderco chooses. Mike
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

SE but I would take either or both if offered.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
quickster47

Re: Swick Hawkbill

Post by quickster47 »

Just knowing a Hawkbill Swick would be a huge seller.

Carl
Gibbs rule #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

So far none of the swicks have been huge sellers. Not sure if the hawkbill will be. I want one but think that the leaf or maybe a drop point would appeal to the masses more than a wharncliffe or hawkbill. At least that is the case with most other models. I want a wharncliffe, a leaf, a drop point and a hawkbill myself but I think a version with some belly would sell the best.

The ergos on this knife make it excellent for pull cuts and it will make an excellent platform for a hawkbill but so far hawkbills make up a small part of spyderco's product line and seem to be even less common with other manufacturers.

Not trying to be pessimistic. I got my fingers crossed and my wallet ready.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Like gringo stated, if SE I want H1, otherwise I want PE for my hawkbills, VG-10, S30V, S110V, etc I will be more than pleased.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
quickster47

Post by quickster47 »

Okay, maybe not a HUGE seller but at least a BIG seller, maybe. :)

For the kind of work I do around my place, a hawkbill would be ideal. So like you I got my fingers crossed and my wallet ready. :)

Carl
bearfacedkiller wrote:So far none of the swicks have been huge sellers. Not sure if the hawkbill will be. I want one but think that the leaf or maybe a drop point would appeal to the masses more than a wharncliffe or hawkbill. At least that is the case with most other models. I want a wharncliffe, a leaf, a drop point and a hawkbill myself but I think a version with some belly would sell the best.

The ergos on this knife make it excellent for pull cuts and it will make an excellent platform for a hawkbill but so far hawkbills make up a small part of spyderco's product line and seem to be even less common with other manufacturers.

Not trying to be pessimistic. I got my fingers crossed and my wallet ready.
Gibbs rule #9. Never go anywhere without a knife.
HarleyXJGuy

Re:

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

sal wrote:plain or serrated?

sal
Yes.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have been trying and I feel sometimes in vain to get the Great Spyder Factory to consider making a fixed blade Hawkbill. I've even thought of a mariner's type of a knife that would come complete with a marlinspike.

But as much success as they are having with their line up of fixed blades I can't for the life of me figure why they haven't tried to come out with a really high quality fixed blade Hawkbill. The Swick concept would truly be a great place to start.

I've also thought that it would be a great addition to the H-1 Salt Series. Yeah I'm all up for it. Either in H-1 or one of the USA made steels.
death-bringah

Post by death-bringah »

H-1 Spyderedge, please...would be overjoyed at edge-out or the edge-in white-water versions.

"Perfection" would be a double-edge, H-1, "Warrior-Swick"...a sort of Spyderco/Perrin/Taylor collaboration. :o Dream big!

take care -d.
dewildeman

Post by dewildeman »

I'm in. I've got the 3 and 4. Kinda liking the idea of the reverse edge hawkbill.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

JD Spydo wrote:I have been trying and I feel sometimes in vain to get the Great Spyder Factory to consider making a fixed blade Hawkbill. I've even thought of a mariner's type of a knife that would come complete with a marlinspike.

But as much success as they are having with their line up of fixed blades I can't for the life of me figure why they haven't tried to come out with a really high quality fixed blade Hawkbill. The Swick concept would truly be a great place to start.

I've also thought that it would be a great addition to the H-1 Salt Series. Yeah I'm all up for it. Either in H-1 or one of the USA made steels.

JD just do like i did and buy the whale resuce then modify it slightly and put a handle
TADA hawkbill fixed blade with a partial tang of course unless you're will to lose a little edge length then you could make it full tang