Best Spyderco EDC for under $150

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lowcald

Best Spyderco EDC for under $150

Post by Lowcald »

Looking to make my first purchase of a higher-end (at least for me) Spyderco blade for EDC. What do you guys think is the best bang for your buck? Cool factor definitely comes into play here, but I'm looking for something that I'll carry (and want to carry) daily. Here are some of the ones I'm looking at:

Caly 3 and 3.5 CF
Para 2
Sage 2 and 3 (new CF version)

Should I be considering anything else? Anything stand out as a particularly good value over another? Like I said, my max budget is $150.

For the majority of the past 7 years I've carried a Delica 4. Tried others, but always make my way back to the Delica (sometimes only after a week after carrying my new purchase). I'm thinking maybe one of Spyderco's more expensive blades will finally get that Delica out of my pocket.
Delica 4 x2 (lost one), Endura 4 (lost), Tasman Salt, Tenacious, Byrd Cara Cara 2 G-10, Byrd Hawkbill, Lil Matriarch, PM2 (black on black)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on what you like. The Sage 1 would be an obvious addition. Personally among the Sage Series models, I prefer its esthetics over those of the 2 and 3. If you'd be comfortable carrying something a tad smaller than your Delica, then the CF Chaparral would be worth looking at and, if you want something heavy duty, then the Bradley Folder might be worth stretching your $$$ limit by a ten-spot or so.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Out of current production I would go with Native5 or G10/VG10 Caly 3.5 (I do not like laminated blades). The next option will be Para2.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

Para 1
Current Spydies....
Captain
Persian
Chinook 3
Manix 2
Stretch (Black CE and Blue ZDP)
Military (orange, brown, and CF)
Para Military 1 (black) (My EDC)
Para Military 2 (grey, orange, brown, blue, green)
Khukuri
Sage 1, 2, 3, & 4
Dodo
Chokwe
Gayle Bradley
Caly 3.5 Super Blue
UKPK
Urban (Wharncliffe and Leaf)
Progrip
Endura (white, orange, and G10)
Delica x6
Dragonfly x2
Ladybug x4
Perrin Street Bowie
Super Leaf

gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

Para 2
The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
"Ted Nugent"

Club 71
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Bradley folder for sure...Military...Chokwe would be a great choice. Getting harder to find as they are discontinued...but a cool and great knife.
On the hunt for...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Those are all good. I would just pick blade shape and handle material of your choice and call it good.

I would say that of the knives you suggested I would recommend the Caly 3 based on your preference so far for the Delica4.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Smaller edc the chaparral is amazing. Hard use type folder the gayle Bradley is amazing. Nice overall edc the caly 3 or the stretch for the role awesome
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I would go for the Caly 3.5 or PM2 depending on your personnal style
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Oreogaborio

Post by Oreogaborio »

I started out w/ an endura... then a military... now a PM2. I'm super happy w/ the PM2. I think mostly because the others ended up being larger than I would want to consistently carry, but also because I absolutely love the fit, finish and feel as well as the compression lock for ease of opening and closing.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I would consider the Caly 3, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 3 and the Native 5 all good candidates for kicking a Delica out of your pocket.

The Gayle Bradley is a little on the heavy side but I think it's the best $150 you can spend on a folder.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I really like the Native5 for EDC, the Para2 is a great knife because the tip is fantastic for detail work, but a little big for my pockets unless I am wearing a jacket or toss it in my bag.

Of course, a Squeak goes everywhere I do. Those things are super handy, and fit anywhere.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I'd say the Sage 2 or CF Chaparral. Both are great knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You'll get an opinion for probably every knife in the catalog in that price range. $150 opens the door to almost all the usual suspects. I'd suggest looking at the recent favorite EDC poll for answers.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelrat

Post by steelrat »

For me from small/light to bigger/heavy: Chaparral 1, Caly 3 and 3.5 CF, Sage 1.

My pocket always loves the Caly Family (I count the UKPK in there too)

Nico.
I've gone CF only: C94CFP UKPK (many thanks to Donut), C113CFPE Caly 3 ZDP189, C144CFPE Caly 3.5 ZDP189, C41CFP Native 4, C123CFP Sage 1, C134CFP Gayle Bradley, C152CFP Chaparral 1, C131CFP Bob Terzuola, C116CFP Superhawk, C101CF90VP2 Manix 2 S90V :)

exceptions: C113GPGY Caly 3 SB, C144GPGY Caly 3.5 SB, C10FPGY Endura SB, C11FPGY Delica SB, 2 x C36GPGY Military Cru-Wear, C154PPN Squeak Pink, MGREP Manbug ZDP189, C12PBN Matriarch brown, C94PBK UKPK

sold: some

looking for: anything CF
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

I know they're over your budget, but I've got to recommend the Domino or Southard. I have a Delica ZD 189, a Sage 1 and a Para 2 also, but the two flippers I simply cannot keep out of my hands. Of the other three, I would definitely pick the Sage 1. Like The Deacon, I prefer it to the Sage 2.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Caly 3.5 in CF and ZDP of the ones you listed. The VG-10 version is also brilliant and cheaper.

A Techno can be had for $154 shipped last I checked and is a brilliant little brute that fits in a watch pocket...
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Any chance you'd have the opportunity to handle any of the knives? That can make a big difference and maybe save you the hassle of getting a knife you don't end up liking.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

NoFair wrote:Caly 3.5 in CF and ZDP of the ones you listed. The VG-10 version is also brilliant and cheaper.

A Techno can be had for $154 shipped last I checked and is a brilliant little brute that fits in a watch pocket...
Where???? I want one!
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

Gayle Bradley!