Sharpmaker problem. Help me save a knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Well a couple more hours and I'm no where near finished. Still can't get to the edge on the right side. I tried continuing on the left side where I can consistently reach the edge to try and even them out. But I found that I wasn't making any progress.

I just placed an order for the edge pro apex 4, hopefully it will help. Time to get serious lol.

Thanks again and again everyone. What a great forum. I'll keep at it on the sharpmaker until the edge pro arrives and keep you posted on my progress.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
araneae

Post by araneae »

You could also have sent it in to Golden and have them finish it off for $5. I admire your tenacity though.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

araneae wrote:You could also have sent it in to Golden and have them finish it off for $5. I admire your tenacity though.
You know if I lived in the U.S I might consider it, but since I'm in Canada I'm just not willing to send my knives across the border (twice including return). Plus, I'm trying to lean a skill here so paying someone to do it won't really teach me anything. I'm not gonna lie though, last night I searched for local sharpening places as I was getting pretty frustrated. I smartened up though lol.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

Using any sharpening system you still get to choose if you want the bevels to be of equal height. If the apex is off center one bevel is going to be taller than the other regardless of the bevel angle. If you move the apex all the way to one side you get a chisel edge. The knife can be made sharp regardless of the geometry, but I prefer knife bevels to be even because I think even bevels make it easier to slice in a straight line.
The knife is sharp if both bevels meet in a clean edge. The location and angle at which the bevels meet will change the cutting characteristics, and that is a "user customized property".
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Don't give up! You will be happy when you have it figured out. Can we see a pic?

Here is my Delica SB. I just pulled it out of my pocket and it whittled hair. My bevels are uneven from my own sharpening ability/inability, the lines caused by the laminating process are not even from the grind not being perfectly centered when made and the patina line on the spine is not straight for the same reason. None of this effects performance and I love this knife to death. I love it enough that I am still trying to decide if I jump on a SB endura while I still can or wait for a SB Stretch of SB DFly. I am more worried about how it cuts than anything else. I think my edges are better than factory edges but that said I can't recreate a factory edge if I tried. I am kind of a perfectionist about keeping my knives super sharp but I am not a perfectionist about how they look. Function over form is what got me into Spydies in the first place.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Quick update. The Edge Pro Aped arrived and I went straight to work on the Caly 3 SB. I found that the 120 grit still didn't remove as much steel as fast as I thought it would. I kept at the sharpening, went at it at a shallower angle than I could with the sharp maker and eventually was able to sharpen down to the edge. This knife is now officially the sharpest thing I own. The edge still isn't super pretty and I didn't go past 1000 grit, but its late and I'm tired. I'm sure I'll have another go at it this weekend and see if I can't clean it up a bit. Here is a quick cellphone pic for now, off to bed. ZZZzzzzz.....

@liquid_cobra
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I think another sharp nut might be being born :) ;) :eek:

When the urgency leaves Cobra start taking your time looking at you edges carefully with a 10, 15, or greater X loupe and discover.............

Playing with edges and different steels can become a very enjoyable pastime :)

Happy sharp :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]