Techno lock face

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Leon

Techno lock face

Post by Leon »

Hi all,
Does anyone happen to know for a fact whether the lock face on the techno is heat treated (or carbidized)?

I've read contradicting thoughts on different forums..some claim the lock face on their techno is a different color (brownish) suggesting possibility of it being heat treated..mine however seems identical color as the frame itself.

I am concerned about the lock wear over time..
It seems to be a known issue with the sage 2 as well **edit:see below

Anyway, your thoughts will be appreciated :)

**Edit: I should not have called it a "known issue" with sage 2..I meant to refer to sage 2 being known not to have heat-treated or carbidized lock face, and therefore
increasing lock wear rate (and lock travel) over time.
Should have been more clear. Apologies for the confusion.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

What known issue with the lock face on sage 2??
Never had problems with Ti too steel contact.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Leon

Post by Leon »

gull wing wrote:What known issue with the lock face on sage 2??
Never had problems with Ti too steel contact.
untreated titanium lock face wears over time (esp with alot of flicking the knife I suppose)
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

+1
Never heard about problems with the lock face of the Sage 2.
The lock of the Techno is not heat treated AFAICS

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I remember a post somewhere on BF with Brad claiming the lockface on the southard and techno were heat-treated
not sure what to think..
knolan

Post by knolan »

I always thought that the Sage 2 was not treated, but the Techno was...hence the brown color on the tip of the lock-bar. I've never disassembled my Techno but have seen threads where others had, and taken macro shots of the lock-bar face showing the color difference.
Leon

Post by Leon »

knolan wrote:I always thought that the Sage 2 was not treated, but the Techno was...hence the brown color on the tip of the lock-bar. I've never disassembled my Techno but have seen threads where others had, and taken macro shots of the lock-bar face showing the color difference.
So is the tip of your lockbar is actually brown? mine is identical color as the rest of the frame! what's that about..
knolan

Post by knolan »

Leon wrote:So is the tip of your lockbar is actually brown? mine is identical color as the rest of the frame! what's that about..
Can't see mine and I'm not sure how one could get a good look at it (just the face that touches the blade tang) w/o (a) disassembly or (b) over extending the lock-bar outwardly beyond it's design intent, possibly causing it to take a "set"...something I'm unwilling to do w/mine.
Leon

Post by Leon »

knolan wrote:Can't see mine and I'm not sure how one could get a good look at it (just the face that touches the blade tang) w/o (a) disassembly or (b) over extending the lock-bar outwardly beyond it's design intent, possibly causing it to take a "set"...something I'm unwilling to do w/mine.
Yea it cant be seen that well, but I tried shining a light into it when the knife is closed and looked with a magnifier..seemed same grayish tone as the rest of the frame..but I might be wrong..
knolan

Post by knolan »

Yeah...know what you mean. I can say that neither my Sage 2 or Techno's lock-bar has moved at all, even w/obsessive opening and closing in the approx. year I've owned each. Further, I remember Sal responded to a worried Sage 2 owner in a past thread that if the lock-bar ever failed, he would take care of it....that relieved my fears. I also can't remember any threads anywhere on any forum where either of these models ever failed or suffered from lock rock? The worst I remember was where one person reported having a Sage lock bar travel around 80/90% but who knows if that's true?
mattman

Post by mattman »

Where's the evidence of this so-called "known issue" on the Sage 2??
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Leon wrote:I am concerned about the lock wear over time..
It seems to be a known issue with the sage 2 as well
mattman wrote:Where's the evidence of this so-called "known issue" on the Sage 2??
There isn't a known issue with the Sage 2, so he just made it up.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Leon

Post by Leon »

knolan wrote:Yeah...know what you mean. I can say that neither my Sage 2 or Techno's lock-bar has moved at all, even w/obsessive opening and closing in the approx. year I've owned each. Further, I remember Sal responded to a worried Sage 2 owner in a past thread that if the lock-bar ever failed, he would take care of it....that relieved my fears. I also can't remember any threads anywhere on any forum where either of these models ever failed or suffered from lock rock? The worst I remember was where one person reported having a Sage lock bar travel around 80/90% but who knows if that's true?
Yea..i've read many posts here and there about people complaining about the lockbar on the sage with increased travel..altho it didnt stop me from buying one..it just stays more time sitting in the box
I would like to use my techno like the tank it seems to be..so was hoping the lockface on this one was more resistant to wear

and to clarify, by "known issue", I meant to refer to increased titanium wear due to not being heat-treated and titanium's inherent softness...should have been more clear.
(and it's known that sage 2's lock face is for a fact not heat treated)
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I don't know the answer but it doesn't concern me because the lock will probably outlive me and if not then Spyderco will fix or replace under warranty.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hey Folks!

As far as I know the lock face of the Techno is carbidized. I've read it several times around the web.

Actually, mine has its lock face clearly brown tarnished, and I keep it properly clean to say it is just some gunk.
:cool:

Worried about the wear? I'm very confident that you don't have to worry about it. It's gonna last way more than a lifetime with proper use.

Issues with the lock face of the Sage 2? Really? Never heard about it, anywhere.

I do have a Sage 2 in my collection, that I've used a lot, and it never had any kind of issue with the lock whatsoever.
:)
Stay Sharp!
Leon

Post by Leon »

LC Kid wrote:
Actually, mine has its lock face clearly brown tarnished, and I keep it properly clean to say it is just some gunk. :cool:
interesting...not sure why mine isn't.. :confused:
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Leon wrote:interesting...not sure why mine isn't.. :confused:
I bought my Techno a month and a half ago and had it out today. Same as yours, no brown coloring but I wouldn't worry! :)
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hey Folks!

I've just remembered that according to Brad Southard, at least his model and the Techno are Heat Hardened.

Technically, Carbidized and Heat Hardened are not exactly the same procedures, but the result it's about the same one: it ensures an excellent way to prevent any kind of wear.

And still, I bet triple that you don't have to worry about any kind of wear, it's going to last you way more than a lifetime with proper use.
Stay Sharp!
phaust

Post by phaust »

LC Kid wrote:Hey Folks!

I've just remembered that according to Brad Southard, at least his model and the Techno are Heat Hardened.

Technically, Carbidized and Heat Hardened are not exactly the same procedures, but the result it's about the same one: it ensures an excellent way to prevent any kind of wear.

And still, I bet triple that you don't have to worry about any kind of wear, it's going to last you way more than a lifetime with proper use.
Sorry that's not quite right. The heat hardening is just a very thin coating, and it can and does get worn through (it happens with all brands of knives that heat harden the lock face, from CRK down the line). Carbidizing also wears over time (I have a carbidizer and have played with this). They slow wear, not eliminate it.

And lifespan will depend on usage. There are posts of 10-15 year old well used (not abused or excessively flicked) Sebenzas that hit full lock up and had to get sent in for a check in. IMO that long with that much use is a nice lifespan for a knife, and surely for most of us here with plenty more than one knife, the average frame lock is not going to be used like that every day, but your generalization is not quite correct...in general :p .
mattman

Post by mattman »

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post907561

From a recent conversation on the subject...