Different Deployment Methods for PM2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
michael632

Different Deployment Methods for PM2

Post by michael632 »

Hello,

I was just trying out different deployment methods and had a question. One of my favorite ways to deploy my Paramilitary 2 is by pressing down on the lock and then giving a slight flick of the wrist. I've seen some people say that this is harmful to the lock and will significantly wear it down over time, and I've seen others say it doesn't matter. What's the general consensus?

Thanks,

~michael632
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have several Para 2s, and I open them that way sometimes. The way I do it doesn't seem to put much stress on it, and I've never noticed any negative effect from that or any other reasonable opening method. Unless you're thrashing it open with tremendous force, I wouldn't worry too much about damaging a Para 2. The lock seems pretty robust to me.
:bug-red-white
dishcore

Post by dishcore »

I never really understood using the lock in any way to deploy the PM2 blade. I've always gone the middle-finger-flick (MFF) route, once you've got it down you can do it in any position - blade up / down / sideways / 10X gravity room... you know the deal.

I can see how some would suggest the lock could wear prematurely by deploying it with the method you've explained, as it effectively doubles the amount of times you manipulate the lock mechanism.

Oh, and on a side note, it took me several weeks to figure out how to hold my Manix2 properly to MFF deploy it without feeling like I was going to drop it. Now it's the only way I can deploy the thing.

Also, I've gotten so used to it that I MFF my ZT 0550 open by "poking" the thumbstud open.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

dishcore wrote:I never really understood using the lock in any way to deploy the PM2 blade.

Oh, and on a side note, it took me several weeks to figure out how to hold my Manix2 properly to MFF deploy it without feeling like I was going to drop it. Now it's the only way I can deploy the thing.

My PM2 came with a thumbhole in the blade so I use that to deploy the blade:
1) thumb
2) hole in blade
3) put tip of thumb in hole and open blade

I flick my Manix 2 open by putting the tip of my thumb in the blade hole and then flicking my thumb outward. It works easily and is very fast, probably more secure than using the MF.

I could probably do the same thing with my PM2 but I haven't tried it yet and I don't want to risk extra wear on the blade stop.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I must have a weak middle finger. I've never been able to deploy anything that way, except the Chokwe and the Yojimbo 2. Everything else just seems so awkward, and I can't get any leverage or strength from the middle finger.

As far as wearing the lock by deploying it with the lock... it seems to me, if anything, it should be easier on the lock parts. The way I do it, the lock is pressed to fully disengage it (basically just freeing it from detent pressure). Then the blade is swung open until it reaches the stop pin. Then the lock tab is released, engaging once the blade is fully open. Doesn't seem stressful on the parts at all to me.
dishcore

Post by dishcore »

bdblue wrote:My PM2 came with a thumbhole in the blade so I use that to deploy the blade:
1) thumb
2) hole in blade
3) put tip of thumb in hole and open blade

I flick my Manix 2 open by putting the tip of my thumb in the blade hole and then flicking my thumb outward. It works easily and is very fast, probably more secure than using the MF.

I could probably do the same thing with my PM2 but I haven't tried it yet and I don't want to risk extra wear on the blade stop.
Boy, thanks for that step by step.

You could replace THUMB with MIDDLE FINGER and end up with the same results.

Here's a good example:

https://youtu.be/i3mca2vmYEc

I was simply suggesting the idea as opposed to using the lock to pop the blade open, but thanks for poking me with your stick.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

If the compression lock is as I understand it, when you depress the lock, the blade should either become fairly loose or swing free. I use the compress-lockspring-and-flick method with backlocks sometimes and especially the CBBL. thousands of times on both and I've flicked pretty hard and I haven't seen any issues with the locks yet. I don't purposely beat them up either. it should not require much of a flick with the lock depressed, and if it is not significantly more depressed than you would do to unlock it, you can finesse it to where there is very little impact force with lock to tang. The way I open my manixes now is literally turning my wrist up or down while compressing the lockspring. the centripetal force will pull the blade to 90 degrees, and the inertia of the blade will swing it open or closed. Using gravity to help makes it easy as well, but be wary - some confiscation-happy DAs/LEOs might consider this brandishing, or that you have a "gravity knife" or even an auto. Just be discreet.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

dishcore wrote:Boy, thanks for that step by step.

You could replace THUMB with MIDDLE FINGER and end up with the same results.

Here's a good example:

https://youtu.be/i3mca2vmYEc

I was simply suggesting the idea as opposed to using the lock to pop the blade open, but thanks for poking me with your stick.
Thanks for the Youtube link. I just learned a new way to deploy my Para2! :D
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I usually index flick any knife that easily does so. I've also used my ring finger to flick it open in reverse grip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Leon

Post by Leon »

I can't do the middle finger flick on any of my Spydies...either my finger is too weak, or my Spydies aren't broken in quite that well .. or both!
dishcore

Post by dishcore »

UpDok wrote:Thanks for the Youtube link. I just learned a new way to deploy my Para2! :D
You're welcome bud! Once you get it down, you think "Dang, why didn't I figure this out sooner?"
dishcore

Post by dishcore »

Leon wrote:I can't do the middle finger flick on any of my Spydies...either my finger is too weak, or my Spydies aren't broken in quite that well .. or both!
Hey Leon, I thought the same thing too when I was first trying to get it down with my Manix2. All of a sudden it just happened. At first it felt like the mechanics were all wrong and I couldn't do it without breaking my finger or dropping the knife. Then it just kind of went boom.

Here's a bit more of a detailed video that will help if you guys want to give it more of a try. I'm able to do it on my Caly 3 Damascus Sprint now which is pretty tight, just needed to work on my grip some.

https://youtu.be/9odGU2418vk
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Leon wrote:I can't do the middle finger flick on any of my Spydies...either my finger is too weak, or my Spydies aren't broken in quite that well .. or both!
I think it kind of depends on the geometry of your hand and fingers compared to the knife but if the middle finger is awkward you can achieve a similar result by using your first finger but on the opposite side of the knife. You position your thumb behind the hole on the edge of the handle, hold the knife securely with your thumb and the other 3 fingers you have left (providing you didn't have and accident with a power tool) and then insert your first finger in the hole just above your thumb and flick it open. Follow through is important flick your finger straight out. If you get it figured out it will make watching your wife's favorite TV programs infinitely more interesting.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's all about technique. You have to direct the motion of your finger/flick towards the pivot, not towards the bottom of the scale (if that makes sense). You won't get enough force on it unless you flick towards the pivot.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Leon

Post by Leon »

Thanks for the tips guys,
I'm practicing with my sage 1 :D
Leon

Post by Leon »

My first few attempts before watching the video reminded me of this:

[ATTACH]23222[/ATTACH]
Attachments
i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-science-dog.jpg
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

dishcore wrote:You're welcome bud! Once you get it down, you think "Dang, why didn't I figure this out sooner?"
I showed the middle finger technique to a buddy of mine at Church this morning (one of the Deacons). Now he's practicing the same with his Spyderco Tenacious. Pretty soon everybody will be flicking open their Spydercos with the middle finger!
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]
remnar

Post by remnar »

I like to use my thumb on some of my Spydies to flick them open. It's like giving them a big thumbs up. Using the middle digit seems like your just giving it the finger. Something no Spydie deserves. :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Ok, I just watched the video too and have been trying the middle finger opening again. As Evil D mentioned, it seems the key is flipping your finger straight up toward the pivot. I was always trying to flick more out than up. That makes a big difference in getting the proper leverage. It actually works well with the Para 2.
remnar

Post by remnar »

OK, I've been trying it and it works, but it totally messed up my thumb flick technique. The first time I went back to flicking with my thumb, I managed to get a small shallow slice on my thumb. :eek: I guess that I better pick one technique and just stick with it. :rolleyes: