Manix XL jimping

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
peter469

Manix XL jimping

Post by peter469 »

I got a Manix XL a couple of days ago but haven't used it yet. I'm not sure about the jimping. It feels too aggressive for extended use without gloves. What do you think, have you had any problems with it?
earthman

Post by earthman »

I own a couple of versions of the Manix, not the XL version though granted,.....I've not found the jimping to cause any problems,.....how long exactly is extended use?

If I needed to use a knife for many continuous hours, I'd use something with a rubber coated handle, my Gator springs to mind. :)

defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I have no issue with the jimping. If it gets harsh on your hand, put on a glove ;)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I like the jimping on my XL and regular Manix2's, but I won't pretend that I often have protracted heavy use. Honestly it probably took me longer to get used to the grippy texture of the G-10 than it did the jimping when I got my first Manix2, which was also my first Spyderco. Now I don't even notice the feel of the G-10.

When I first got them, I even thought about asking Sal to put jimping on the butt of the Manixes so the butt wouldn't tend to scoot out of your palm when you close with one hand. But after the lock loosens up a bit, it's easier to do one-hand closing without applying enough force to cause to butt to move.

However, if the heel of your hand is fleshy, the tip of blade can nick your hand as it falls to the closed position when closing with one hand. When I got my first M2, I got a nice little slice in the heel of my hand doing this. I sliced it again in precisely the same place after it had healed a day (I'm a three trial learner :D )

It occurred to me that Sal or Eric might have left jimping off the knife butt so as not to encourage people to close them this way.

EDIT: By the way, peter469, welcome to the forums !! and "how come you don't write?" :eek: (1st post, joined Aug '06)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
_centurio_

Post by _centurio_ »

Yep I think the same about the jimping. I let it grind away by a friend of mine who is knifemaker. But you can do it by yourself... Just needs a little time...
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Jimping is a must for me. Even if the blade will not see hard use, having jimping makes the blade feel more secure in my hand.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I think you're right, the Manix2 and the XL are probably not ideal for extended use without gloves. I'd want a thicker, smoother handle for extended use.
earthman

Post by earthman »

Officer Gigglez wrote:Jimping is a must for me. Even if the blade will not see hard use, having jimping makes the blade feel more secure in my hand.
I agree. :)
peter469

Post by peter469 »

Doug, I didn't realize it was my first post. Seems I'm not much of a talker :p

I've always been a fan of Spydercos but it's really just lately that I've accepted that no other brand really ticks my boxes. I'm in the process of selling or trading my other knives for Spydies.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

peter469 wrote:Doug, I didn't realize it was my first post. Seems I'm not much of a talker :p

I've always been a fan of Spydercos but it's really just lately that I've accepted that no other brand really ticks my boxes. I'm in the process of selling or trading my other knives for Spydies.
Well, welcome to the club, and I didn't mean to needle you about not writing -- I guess you just didn't want to rush into anything :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I like jimping, but in proportion to the knife's purpose.

For example, I can forgive the absence of jimping on the Air, as it is for delicate use, but do wish the Bradley Folder, a hard-use knife, had somewhat more pronounced jimping (especially given its subtle and smooth choil).

The normal and XL versions of the Manix2 hit the jimping sweetspot for me. The Manix2 is meant for forceful slicing and trimming. Grip trumps comfort. I reach for a glove when things get uncomfortable.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I really like the jimping on my Manix 2's and XL's. It gives me traction, but doesn't seem uncomfortable.

I do have one fixed blade, a Dan Koster, that is beautiful but the jimping is *so* sharp, it's like putting my thumb on saw teeth! So I think it *can* be overdone, but I like the amount on the Manix family.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Personally, I would like more jimping in the Yojimbo2, just for tactile feedback and confidence. But I just use the knife for EDC and utility. I'm sure a great deal of thought and maybe debate went into the decision to limit its jimping. It's safe to say that the designer(s?) knows a heck of a lot more about knives than I do .