A couple gunting questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jason

A couple gunting questions

Post by jason »

Just wanted to know if any gunting seminars for the spyderco are held in the so cal area (San Diego)? Any experience out there carrying the spyderco gunting as a lefty? I hear alot about locks and contol tech. but the ramp in the closed pos. is great for raking and striking? Im dying to order one but have been unable to find one in person in the San Diego area. Thanks.
jim_l_clifton

Post by jim_l_clifton »

jason,
I'm a lefty,so is Bram!! We both work left & right,but I prefer left!!
jim
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Jason:
Buy a Drone first..you can't play with a Gunting live blade...
OK you can but its short lived for sure..
Prof Remy Presas, my instructor and founder of our style, Modern Arnis, was left handed..he was forced to use his right hand.,.casually watching him you'd think he was right handed...
What I learned from him was the abiliy to switch off and to use the tool in my right hand..my weak hand..and if needed within the flow use both hands..
that made it, my right as good as my left..
put the tool in ones wealk side to strengthen it...strong side doesn't need that..
and most of the world is right handed..so if the tool is in my right hand I'm generally attacking the flexors of the opponent..
the target to make hands open, grips loosen and to be in a position to end the incoming attack..
It makes it easier to control people with my ready left hand...which passes, traps, hits, etc..

When enough Guntings sell regularly to make it feasible, there will be a preferred left handed model..
for this is a right handed preferred model.
Lock release, clip..Spoondexing points..

Yes to tomahwaking, hammering , with the ramp..thats its design..

No definite plans to San Diego area yet..
off to NYC, Vancouver, & Spokane...
be safe..

Bram
lunumbra

Post by lunumbra »

Keep looking, be patient, I live in NYC and did some very aggressive searching before I got a lead and found someone. In a city as BIG as this!

I was thinking about going around to all the Spyderco dealers and putting up flyers. Or asking the dealers if they would hand out a card with a e-mail address (nice and anonymous) with any Gunting they sell. Get together your own study group!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I too am a lefthander.I would give my right arm to be ambidextrious!Actually,Bram told me to try using the Gunting right handed.Now it feels natural.It leaves the strongside Left hand open for other options.
Mickey
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

Skunkworks, who makes the shaeaths used by Bram, can make a left-side-carry belt sheath for the Gunting. I normally use such a sheath to carry mine, except it is right-handed, but I plan to order a lefty sheath soon. I do not know the web address but it is shown as a link on the website www.gunting-mueum.com BTW, I could not find a Gunting in the Houston area, so I ordered my first one, a live blade, from knifeworks.com. After some handling, I really learned to like the Gunting. I bought a drone and two Skunkworks sheaths from Knife Gallery in San Antonio, which is an actual storefront, with no web address of which I am aware.

Edited by - Rex G on 10/27/2002 12:53:25 PM
Pachucko

Post by Pachucko »

What's their street address Rex?

I'll be up in SNA for the gun show next weekend, wouldn't mind checking them out.

Pachucks
jason

Post by jason »

So Bram I need the drone to practice all of the tech? Is the ramp also dull? I guess Im a little in the dark as to the variety of uses for the knife. The drone still works kineticly? Does this kinetic function work like an emerson upon draw? Or only on another object? So Im going to need the real deal, a drone, and the videos? Gets pricy huh? As for the left handed gunting why isnt the mirror side of the knifes handle drilled and tapped for the clip? Sorry for all the beginer questions, Im just real interested in picking one up, Im into MMA and think this would really compliment my "tools". Thanks again.

Jason
lunumbra

Post by lunumbra »

It's a really bad idea to train with a live Gunting, ESPECIALLY with a partner. All the corner's and edges of the ramp are hard 90 degree corners. I always compare them to the edges of ski's. Not same geometry as a blade, but sharp none the less. The corners of the horns are also have full edges. And, obviously, training with a live edge is REALLY dumb.
The ramp on the drone is rounded over.
Yes, the drone still works kinetically. No, it doesn't work like the Wave. You use the ramp to open the knife on your opponent, WHEN you need it. If you need it straight from the draw, then you just open it on the first strike. You can open it yourself, BUT DON'T USE THE RAMP ON YOUR LEG OR BODY, YOU WILL CUT YOURSELF! Use the Spydie hole, or even you thumb on the ramp.
Leftie conversion would also require you to make a pivot indent on the old clip side and fill in the indent on the new clip side, and you would still have a problem with the lock, it is set up for a rightie. I'm sure you could figure out a technique to use the lock leftie, but it would be more awkward.
Coolest thing about the Gunting is it's ability to be used as an impact device(ala Kutaton, etc), up to and including ripping the skin with the edges of the ramp, and if you really need, you still have the ability to open the blade instantly. So yes, if you have studied any kind of impact tool, any kind of blade craft, you will be able to apply it with the Gunting, and have the ability to escalate, or deescalate at will. Fun Stuff!
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

Knife Gallery is part of Nagel's Gun & Sport Shop at 6201 San Pedro Avenue in San Antonio. It is not too far south of Loop 410, on the right side of the street if heading into town from the loop. Phone # is 210-342-5420. It is not necessarily the least expensive place to shop, but the selection is very large.