New Native 5 had me worried for a bit

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Leatherneck

New Native 5 had me worried for a bit

Post by Leatherneck »

Just unboxed a native 5 today and the first thing I noticed was blade play both horizontal & vertical. The side to side never worries me because it's usually an easy fix, but I have never liked vertical play. I know most lockbacks can have a little as many of my Delicas have, but the N5 was easily audible and not right. I wrote Spyderco and got a reply in 20 minutes telling me to send it in (great service). I decided to try a little lube, worked it a bit and everything fell into place. A slight tweak of the screw directly behind the pivot and it became not only solid but smooth as can be.

I think a good percentage of folks who have posted in various forums of the same issue could resolve it just as easy. What a nice feeling knife and just the right size for me. Brought me back to lockbacks for a while. :)
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

It's a surprisingly nice knife! :)
joe58

Post by joe58 »

The Native 5 is one of the best. Isn't that screw behind the pivot what the lock bar pivots on? Not sure how their redesigned lock system works for sure. I'm assuming the screw should be snug?
Talum15

Post by Talum15 »

Didnt expect liking it but i surely did when i got it!
Its everything you'll need in an EDC. ��
Holland

Post by Holland »

Leatherneck wrote:Just unboxed a native 5 today and the first thing I noticed was blade play both horizontal & vertical. The side to side never worries me because it's usually an easy fix, but I have never liked vertical play. I know most lockbacks can have a little as many of my Delicas have, but the N5 was easily audible and not right. I wrote Spyderco and got a reply in 20 minutes telling me to send it in (great service). I decided to try a little lube, worked it a bit and everything fell into place. A slight tweak of the screw directly behind the pivot and it became not only solid but smooth as can be.

I think a good percentage of folks who have posted in various forums of the same issue could resolve it just as easy. What a nice feeling knife and just the right size for me. Brought me back to lockbacks for a while. :)
Ive been preaching this to everyone that complains about vertical play on lockbacks... tighten that screw! :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am glad that you was able to fix fix blade play and like the knife. I am enjoying mine as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Something else I am already appreciating is the less aggressive texture of the G10. The Paras are pocket shredders!
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BT-Blades

Post by BT-Blades »

Geez you had me worried! I just ordered one! I should have mine Saturday! :)
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Holland wrote:Ive been preaching this to everyone that complains about vertical play on lockbacks... tighten that screw! :)
Can you tighten it with a regular flat head screwdriver?

derrelw

Post by derrelw »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Can you tighten it with a regular flat head screwdriver?

No, Torx driver.

Native 5 is one of my all time favorite folders.