Usa! Usa!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MadMaximus

Usa! Usa!

Post by MadMaximus »

I'm in the military and I love spyderco knives. I have 2 pm2s, 2 manix2s, 2 natives and one delica 4. Not the biggest collection, but I like them all. But there's one that isn't the same.....the delica. I'm sure this will really fire some people up, but I am one of "those guys" that lives for the good ol USA (just how I was raised). It may be very shallow of me to say this but I just can't bring myself to carry something that has China or Japan etched into the blade. That being one of the main reasons I carry a bm mini grip (ritter version) as edc. Just saying spyderco for me would be far and away#1 if more of their models were made in the USA especially the delica, stretch, and endura. I might just be crazy, but I'd like to know what others think.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Here we go again... :rolleyes:
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I like my USA made Spydercos. I also like my Japanese Spydercos. Taiwan Spydies? I like them too. Italy? Yep, I even like those.

Nothing wrong with liking American-made items. But you sure are missing out on some of Spyderco's other fine offerings. While they might be made in foreign countries, profits still end up at good ol' Spyderco here in the USA.

Good news for you is that Spyderco is currently expanding their Colorado location. While I don't imagine they'd bring the Delica, Endura, Stretch, or other foreign-made model to CO, the expanded capacity will probably mean that we'll be seeing more US-made models in the future.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your military service!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

It's difficult to stay domestic in this day and age. I have a handgun made in Austria, half my household products are probably made in China. Look at your jeans probably made in Honduras, then look at your North Face jacket etc etc. Now, even items "made in the USA" can be something that's only assembled here like cars for example. For me, I'm glad when I'm able to purchase USA made and often do when it comes to knives and Spyderco is an American company. Some knife companies with products proudly "made in the US" aren't even American companies. In short, made in the USA for the entire line would be awesome, but not realistic.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post391555

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 9-USA-made
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Designed by an American company. Sold by an American company. Profits go to an American company, which helps pay the wages of their American work staff. Just so happens that it's put together in Japan since they have unique steels not available in the US.

Honestly, I don't see the problem people have.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The USA models are great but I think most knife enthusiasts would agree that Taiwan made Spydercos are as good as or better than any production knife in the world. I've had several Taichung models and the fit, finish and overall quality on each one has been superb.
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

All very good points, I've heard a lot of good things about models made in Taiwan. Thanks for the welcome and I might just dust off the old delica!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Your going to miss out on a lot of amazing knives with that attitude. Taiwan imo makes superior knives when compared to spydercos american made knives. Most people will agree with me here
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

USA, Japan, Taiwan, Italy, China. Some very nice knives come out of all those places. All made by human beings, right here on planet Earth.
:bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MadMaximus wrote:Just saying spyderco for me would be far and away#1 if more of their models were made in the USA especially the delica, stretch, and endura. I might just be crazy, but I'd like to know what others think.
We all make choices and have to live with the results of those choices. From where I sit, you've shut yourself off from most of the best Spyderco knives out there and I seriously doubt that production of any of them will ever be moved to the USA. Personally, I'd prefer to carry a knife made overseas for a highly ethical American company than one made in the USA by a company that lacks them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Max :) You'll find this to be a particularly insightful and knowledgeable forum :)

This forum is also frequented by many not from or living the U.S. It's always nice to try and bear that in mind ;)

Like others have already said, quality Spydercos are made in the US, Taiwan, China, various countries in Europe, Japan, and probably a few other places I don't know about. All are very well done fulfilling the intent of each individual model ;) Many of those places have access to skills and materials not easily found in the USA.

Enjoy the Spyderco's :D Don't sell yourself short by discrimination based on place of manufacture ;)

And what Paul said :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Spyderco is in the process of expanding Golden. Liquid Cobra linked an article that clearly states it: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... le-article

Something to consider is the company is relatively small. Not like a 3 person family business "small" but a few dozen employees if I recall correctly. That means they have to utilize outside shops for production, or risk expanding WAY too fast ,or offering an extremely narrow product line, or not being able to fulfill product demand.

I love the international flair of the company. It gives them the spread of different talents and the means offer a very selection of products at varying prices. Ultimately feeding these smaller boutique shops, making money, and avoiding the "feast or famine" layoffs we see too much in our lovely country. :(
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Here's another perspective. If it was not for the profits generated by the early Spyderco models, all of which were made in Japan, none of today's Spyderco product line would exist. If it was not for the profits from the models being made in other countries today, the currently ongoing expansion of the Golden plant would not be happening. How you spend your money is your business, but if everyone thought like you, there would simply be no Spyderco at all and the folks now building great knives in Golden would probably be bottling Colorado Kool-Aid. :eek:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MadMaximus

Post by MadMaximus »

Great article Blake! That really sheds some light on it for me, I had no idea they were so small. One of the reasons I signed up here! Already learning something, thanks guys!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

There have been a ton of posts by Sal Glesser over the years explaining various aspects of why production occurs where it does. I hate to sound like I've drunk someone's Koolaid, but if you hang around in the forums in which Sal posts I think you'll probably come to a point where you trust him to be doing the right thing. :spyder:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:Here's another perspective. If it was not for the profits generated by the early Spyderco models, all of which were made in Japan, none of today's Spyderco product line would exist. If it was not for the profits from the models being made in other countries today, the currently ongoing expansion of the Golden plant would not be happening. How you spend your money is your business, but if everyone thought like you, there would simply be no Spyderco at all and the folks now building great knives in Golden would probably be bottling Colorado Kool-Aid. :eek:
That's a really nicely made historical point. :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MadMaximus,

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for your service.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

I'm a long time Spyderco fan, and a real passionate cutlery aficionado.
:cool: I do have A LOT of Spydies in my collection, Japan made, USA made and Taiwan made.

And I can very proudly say that my collection includes the very best models from each a every one of those country makers.

I'm not trying to figure out which one is the best country/maker between them. It's very clear who makes the best F&F, by far, even setting a whole new standard for the production cutlery today.
:D And I have yet to see the first USA made Spyderco model which at least equals the Taiwanese quality.
Stay Sharp!
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

gbelleh wrote:USA, Japan, Taiwan, Italy, China. Some very nice knives come out of all those places. All made by human beings, right here on planet Earth.
You know, I wouldn't at all be opposed to seeing some extra-terrestrial Spydercos. The truth is out there, and so are some wicked knives.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Syncharmony wrote:You know, I wouldn't at all be opposed to seeing some extra-terrestrial Spydercos. The truth is out there, and so are some wicked knives.
They would have to change the blade marking - it could no longer refer to "Earth." :D