Ukpk edc

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mattexian

Post by Mattexian »

I was wondering, was there ever a UKPK made in British Racing Green? I realize this would come with a ZDP-189 blade, in all likelihood. I find myself using my BRG Ladybug for most days now, but was reflecting on the lock making it illegal for our British cousins to carry one, in spite of its smaller size.

Matt in Texas
Recovering BoyScout(TM), now doing GoodTurns(TM) fortnightly!
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Just ordered one yesterday. I don't need it for legal reasons but it will be my number one travel knife now. Final clearance and a great price made it a no brainer. Should I have gotten two? :rolleyes:
I ordered a drop point full serrated in maroon, it will be my first all serrated non-hawkbill and my first Spydie slip joint. Looking forward to pairing it with my others.

Depending on use a slip joint is not dangerous but there is a risk involved. That said I've seen people more than once try to close locking knives like a slip joint and that I find extremely scary.
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
markg

Post by markg »

I love them. Currently have a black handled, CE with leaf blade. Have had the G-10 S30V, Urban, and a Squeak.

Some of us who are longer in the tooth, remember days when all you carried were non-locking blades. The truth is, for just purely cutting chores the lock is not necessary. And frankly one of the things that people forget is that most one hand opening knives require two hands to close. So often you have cut something and are holding what has been cut with one hand and you can close the non-locking blade several ways, most with just one hand.

I do wish the current UKPK had a bit more spring to it, sometimes when cutting thick cardboard the blade wants to close when you try to move or remove it. It is not a safety issue as the blade is till in the cardboard.

The UKPK is one of the best utility, breaking down recycling, around the house, opening packaging knives made.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I carry a lot of Slipits in my EDC. Squeak, Pingo, UKPK. They are all plain edge and they are all pretty nice and do everything I need them to do.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have both the orange and Ti UKPKs. As I recall, I bought these to satisfy my curiosity about the Caly family (couldn't seem to find one I wanted until the SB Caly 3.5 appeared), as well as to have a knife I could take to Europe (except Denmark...). I've become less enamored of Ti handles, but certainly love the Caly blade shape and especially its attack angle. But the family is a tad lighter and thinner than what I prefer for EDC (gotta draw the line somewhere), and if I have a choice between a lock or not, I take the former, so my UKPKs are simply fondlers until I ponder travel to more restricted places...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

markg wrote:I love them. Currently have a black handled, CE with leaf blade. Have had the G-10 S30V, Urban, and a Squeak.

Some of us who are longer in the tooth, remember days when all you carried were non-locking blades. The truth is, for just purely cutting chores the lock is not necessary. And frankly one of the things that people forget is that most one hand opening knives require two hands to close. So often you have cut something and are holding what has been cut with one hand and you can close the non-locking blade several ways, most with just one hand.

I do wish the current UKPK had a bit more spring to it, sometimes when cutting thick cardboard the blade wants to close when you try to move or remove it. It is not a safety issue as the blade is till in the cardboard.

The UKPK is one of the best utility, breaking down recycling, around the house, opening packaging knives made.
I don't own a single knife I can't close with one hand.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Glad to see you carry your Urban, Sal. I fell in love with these the day they came out. As these things get harder and harder to come by on the secondary market, would you consider a sprint run sometime? :)

TedP
Holland

Post by Holland »

Warriors and wonders has Ti UKPK and both versions of urban for those interested ;)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

markg wrote:...And frankly one of the things that people forget is that most one hand opening knives require two hands to close. So often you have cut something and are holding what has been cut with one hand and you can close the non-locking blade several ways, most with just one hand...
Which one-hand-opening knives are you referring to? Of the many Spydercos I have handled, I have never had to use two hands to close any of them. In contrast, of my Spydie slipjoints (UKPK FFG drop point and two Squeaks), my UKPK requires more of a less-than-natural effort to close with one hand. Perhaps it comes down to personal technique?
"There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it." - Edith Wharton (American novelist and short-story writer, 1862-1937)
markg

Post by markg »

Trying a few knives on my desk, yea you can close them one handed. I guess I was thinking that of the old "brush against the back of the leg before you stick in pocket trick" I always used with an old slipjoint.

In the end you are never going to have a lock failure with a slipjoint. :)
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

Picked up a few , one with full serrated edge, was surprise the way it cuts & the choil, love the slipits opening & closing with one hand, for my needs, I don't need a locking blade, I find this perfect, like most of us, slippies were the first knives, but these are excellent, hope they are not discontinued, will try to pick up a few more as I can. What I love is they are made here, USA. Thanks Gary