Techno

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Revival

Techno

Post by Revival »

After the Techno vs Sage 2 thread the Techno has me intrigued. When this knife first came out I had no interest at all. It wasnt until the past few days, I been watching more reviews and I have been more curious about it. I also cant deny the fact on how many people love this little tank. Asthetics of a knife is important to me (as far as blade shape) but for some reason I am starting to by pass that with this knife.

So for you Techno lovers, my question is what are some specific tasks that you guys use this knife for? Is there a task that you will not use this knife and choose something else? Interested in hearing personal experiences with the knife.

Feel free to mention to add what else you love about this knife. Thanks.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I use mine for everything, the grind is very nice and the blade thickness hasn't really been an issue. Mine has a polished convex edge now and cuts like a laser.

Ergonomics are good for me (3 finger grip since I have large hands) and it packs a lot of edge in a small package that most people think is cute and nonthreatening. Hard cuts work well, but it isn't a knife I'd sit cutting with for hours (I'd then generally use a fixed blade). It also carries small and discretely.

I didn't think I'd like it at first, but after handling one at a friends place decided I needed one ASAP. Fit and finish is perfect and it locks up like a vault.

Swapped the back spacer for an orange one:
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I didn't like it at first look either. But once in hand, it quickly became a favorite. The small size lets it go anywhere (even clipped to PJ pants), but the blade cuts very well. Even though it's thick, it has no problem slicing cardboard, opening mail, or anything else I routinely do. The quality and fit & finish are amazing. Cutting food might be less than ideal because of the relatively short blade, but my Techno has never let me down.

:bug-red-white
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How is the clip retention? Really seems like it needs a solid clip to me.
- best wishes, Jazz.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I've always found the looks of this knife to be interesting, however the fact that it's a frame-lock has been what's deterring me from owning a Techno. I like the fact that you can change the back-spacer to customize it to your own liking. I had always thought the blade was too thick to be EDC worthy, but allot of people seem to love theirs.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
A-Ro

Post by A-Ro »

Despite my initial reluctance to liking the Techno...as MANY others, I now find myself wanting one...

Curse you Spyderco!!! :D
knolan

Post by knolan »

Okay pal you asked for it...

It's funny how many of us that hold the Techno in such high esteem seem to follow the same progression starting with mild interest, then a strong curiosity, and after seeing some of the rabid reviews and thinking about it some more...finally buy one, then it either supplants everything else from their pocket...or they hate it, lol!

It my case not being a collector, (I only own around 10 or 12 folders at any given time and all are users) but was looking for a higher end, smallish 2.5"/3" production frame-lock with good steel and some character and that if lost I wouldn't be too upset, I seem to have found my grail. The Techno simply amazes for what it is but it is not a do all knife...while it's slicing abilities are simply incredible for a blade w/a 4.5mm spine, it does suffer in deep cutting of harder mediums like an apple. Also, for those who need/want to utilize a folder for hard ranch, farm, factory, etc. work would obviously profit from a longer blade.

Where the Techno shines for me, being a city guy, is that it's just so incredibly cool with it's build quality standing toe to toe with popular mid-techs costing several times more. Opening and closing this knife gives me such satisfaction in the silky way the blade actuates, whether it is opened fast or slow. The solid bank vault/60's era Mercedes door lock-up and the way the detent pulls the blade closed the last centimeter or so just oozes quality! It also looks manly w/o saying mall ninja or look, I'm a tactical operator. It has this great tool like character with it's impeccable stone wash finish on both the scales and blade with a little bit of whimsy thrown in with the blue G10 backspacer that keeps it from looking too bland. For those that are familiar with seeing/using CRK's, Hinderer's, and Striders it's still hard not to be impressed when holding a Techno in their hand for the first time.

As far as using it well...there's where the real surprises come in! *(I sharpened mine right outta the box w/a guided DMT system at 30 degrees inclusive finishing w/the EF stone). There's no wasted space, with such a good handle to blade ratio and it packs as much actual cutting surface in the handle as possible since there is no finger choil. It's slicing and cutting ability goes far beyond what I expected for such a thick blade. The ffg XHP blade is ground so thin behind the cutting bevel it push cuts through newsprint (against the grain) with ease. It actually does this better than any other steel I've personally used...Super Blue, S30v, S35v, M4 and ELMAX...all in thinner stock. This was my first experience w/CTS-XHP and I really like how easily this steel sharpens and keeps an extremely sharp edge after a lot of use for a long time. The ergos are very good for my medium/large hands and I can squeeze all my fingers on the scales. The wide spine gives two good places for thumb placement, at the jimping and dip in the blade. It also excels in detail work using this knife in a chef's grip w/one's index finger on the spine. Mine has been used extensively for a variety daily tasks and has been opened and closed obsessively and lock-up is still like granite and the lock-bar remains at around 25%...virtually unchanged since new.

I could continue gushing about this knife but have gone on too long as is. The thing is...this little gem of a knife has exceeded my expectation on so many levels that I find I rarely carry anything else, and when I do, I feel a little antsy until I can get home to swap it out for the Techno. The only thing I could possibly see kicking this out of my pocket is if Sal decides to ultimately offer a 3" Southard or bring a 3" version of the SpydeChef to market.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Im still reluctant... the thick blade bothers me haha. Im sure ill eventually try it out anyway though
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Holland wrote:Im still reluctant... the thick blade bothers me haha. Im sure ill eventually try it out anyway though
If there's one recurring theme in these Techno reviews, it's that the thick blade is a surprisingly good slicer. Those who dismiss the Techno before trying it, are most likely missing out. :)
:bug-red-white
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

If you're on the fence try one...it wouldn't surprise me even the slightest if 9/10 on the fence people kept their Techno after purchasing it. It's just such a well made and well designed knife. Very solid, and really will exceed all your expectations of it.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I was so impressed with my Techno, I ended up selling my Small Sebenza after owning the Techno for about 3 months(Seb was my go-to folder for over 6 years). I truly think it's a better compact EDC folder than was my Small Seb, my 3" XM-18, or my PT. Mine is on-par with the "Big 3" in terms of F&F, materials and performance, but does it at a much more reasonable price.

Like I've said before, I've carried mine every day since August, 2012 and have used it for everthing from cutting bagels to cutting firehose. It's yet to let me down.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Nice feedback everyone. You almost have me convinced to at least try the Techno. How would you compare this (assuming there is a comparison to be made) to the Dragonfly-2?
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I really liked my SS Dragonfly, but the Techno has far better F&F and I very much prefer the extra heft and longer cutting edge that you get with the Techno.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I also find the Techno to be vastly more comfortable to hold than the Dragonfly. I like the Dragonfly, but prefer the Chaparral for ergos at similar size...but still not as much as I prefer the Techno. It is WAY more comfortable than it looks like it would be (I found the Chokwe to be alike in this regard), and the lack of a finger choil really isn't a big deal for me either. I've never been worried about my hand moving around on the handle because it sits so securely in hand. In short, I'll take the Techno over any comparable sized knife. I still rotate my others so my Dragonfly and Chaparral still see pocket time, but as my least obtrusive knife in pocket my Chaparral was always my most carried knife. The Techno rides almost as well, and is really stealing a lot of pocket time that would've gone to the Chaparral.

---> Branden
Trevitrace

Post by Trevitrace »

Here you go, nascar.
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

How lefty friendly is this knife? Can it be done? Looks like half the hole is covered on that side of the knife..
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I can get the blade to open using my middle finger of my left hand in the Spyderhole, but it's definitely easier with your right hand by nature of it's design (The ball detent is very strong...otherwise it would be easy). A backlock like the Chaparral or Dragonfly will be your best bet regarding ease of ambidextrous use. I'm quite ambidextrous, but being right handed I usually open my knives right handed, and will swap back and forth in my hands once it's open.

---> Branden
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks for the comments and the pics everyone. I do have the Chaparral as well, which seems it would similar in size. Despite it being a frame-lock, I may have to give the Techno a try, just to convince myself whether it's right for me or not. It's a tough call right now, putting out that amount of coin. In addition, the Sage-1 has been on my "get next" list. I'm not sure if I want to bump the Sage for the Techno just yet. Tough decisions.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Can any of you Techno guys compare it to the Benchmade MPR?

I've been much happier with my Spydies than my Benchmades (I do still have a couple, although the only one that sees any real pocket time is the mini-Grip) but the m390 on the MPR is pretty enticing.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Funny enough mine just arrived in the mail
I was reluctant about it too, but I got a deal I could not refuse on a "like-new-in-box" techno
But now after I hold it in my hand? ****..I would have paid the retail price on it no question
It's a little monster..
the small size works well for me, making it semi public-friendly (for my work environment), while still being one **** of TANK

in short, epic techno is epic :D