General Safety Measures

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
survivalinstinct

General Safety Measures

Post by survivalinstinct »

Hi all. I am new to this forum. Is there any safety measures to protect ourselves from attackers.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

survivalinstinct wrote:Hi all. I am new to this forum. Is there any safety measures to protect ourselves from attackers.
Yes, use your brain and trust your gut. Also, being able to run is not a bad idea.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Use your seat belt. The probability of winding up in the path of a drunk or distracted driver, or one whose poorly maintained vehicle decides to cross the centerline of its own accord, is far greater than that of being attacked by a person on foot. By the same token, don't do any of those things yourself. There's no point in being your own worst enemy.

Don't use, sell, or manufacture illegal drugs. The fairly high percentage of violent crime these days seems to stem from "business disagreements" between two parties who are both involved with illegal substances.

Be careful who you choose as a domestic partner, and how you treat them. Another significant percentage of violence is domestic.

If at all possible, avoid bad neighborhoods, especially after dark. I know that's not always easy, as it can mean needing to make significant changes like finding someplace else to live or work, but avoiding high crime areas does reduce your risk.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

The Deacon wrote:Use your seat belt. The probability of winding up in the path of a drunk or distracted driver, or one whose poorly maintained vehicle decides to cross the centerline of its own accord, is far greater than that of being attacked by a person on foot. By the same token, don't do any of those things yourself. There's no point in being your own worst enemy.

Don't use, sell, or manufacture illegal drugs. The fairly high percentage of violent crime these days seems to stem from "business disagreements" between two parties who are both involved with illegal substances.

Be careful who you choose as a domestic partner, and how you treat them. Another significant percentage of violence is domestic.

If at all possible, avoid bad neighborhoods, especially after dark. I know that's not always easy, as it can mean needing to make significant changes like finding someplace else to live or work, but avoiding high crime areas does reduce your risk.
Well said
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Read the manual and wear the indicated safety equipment for the activity/equipment indicated.

Never disable a safety device no matter how much time it would save.

Don't keep putting off a repair to house, car or bike- 5 minutes now might save you 5 weeks in hospital later

Never try to beat the traffic lights

Never ignore the flashing lights at a train/level crossing.

Assume every other driver hasn't seen you and has received a full frontal lobotomy- drive accordingly.

Charge your phone every night- even if you think you don't need to- then take it with you when you leave the house.

Check the map before you go if it's a new place, as your phone's GPS might not work.

Never cheat or steal. Ever.

Smile.

90% of all petty crime reports start "So I was in this shady bar/alley/dice game/unlicensed club etc". Make sensible judgements of risk and avoid being a statistic by

Never ask for a 'short' in a dwarf bar.

Never ask a troll if he's got rocks in his head

NB- not all of these are 100% serious.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
A-Ro

Post by A-Ro »

Have good cardio and RUN FOREST...RUN!!!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

As other's have said, trust your gut and avoid the situation. As mister miyagi says, the best block: not be there.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was told 80-85 percent of all hospital visits are directly or indirectly related to the abuse of alcohol, either in the person going there or the person being negatively effected by drunk people.

Is this true?

CrazyKorean13

Post by CrazyKorean13 »

survivalinstinct wrote:Hi all. I am new to this forum. Is there any safety measures to protect ourselves from attackers.
What kind of Safety Measures are you looking for? I say "always be aware of your surroudings". I know it they phrase has be used over and over again but it is very useful still today. Keep you cellphone handy just in case you need to call 911 for any emergancy. Keep a roll of pennies in you pocket...makes a great fist load weapon and it is less suspect for a weapon like a knife or gun.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

demoncase wrote:Read the manual and wear the indicated safety equipment for the activity/equipment indicated.

Never disable a safety device no matter how much time it would save.

Don't keep putting off a repair to house, car or bike- 5 minutes now might save you 5 weeks in hospital later

Never try to beat the traffic lights

Never ignore the flashing lights at a train/level crossing.

Assume every other driver hasn't seen you and has received a full frontal lobotomy- drive accordingly.

Charge your phone every night- even if you think you don't need to- then take it with you when you leave the house.

Check the map before you go if it's a new place, as your phone's GPS might not work.

Never cheat or steal. Ever.

Smile.

90% of all petty crime reports start "So I was in this shady bar/alley/dice game/unlicensed club etc". Make sensible judgements of risk and avoid being a statistic by

Never ask for a 'short' in a dwarf bar.

Never ask a troll if he's got rocks in his head

NB- not all of these are 100% serious.
Humor with embedded truth. I lived with a friend that was a 4th year med student. He was working an emergency room rotation at a local hospital on weekends. He said that a common injury was for a random drunk to come in, having had the crap beaten out of him, and seeking treatment.

The common story was that the cause was "2 dudes", i.e. -

"I was standing at the bar minding my own business when 2 dudes came up and started beating me up"

"I was in the parking lot of the bar when 2 dudes ran up to me - one held me while the other hit me with a brick"

"I was on the dancefloor when 2 dudes pushed me to the ground and starting kicking me all over"

My buddy said that if the police ever caught those 2 dudes, he would be out of a job as the E.R. doc.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Adding to the great advice so far, nothing good goes on after midnight.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

Follow the Stupid Rule. Don't hang out with stupid people, don't go to stupid places, and don't do stupid things.

Also, remember that alcohol, drugs and promiscuity can lead to unintended consequences and violent altercations
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Careful where the huskies go, never eat yellow snow.
All God's critters have knives.
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

Never mix booze, sharp things, and anything that goes boom together.

IF you must go to the bad part of town, do not go alone.

If you EVER get the "This is wrong" feeling, then do not do what you are thinking of doing/stop doing what you are doing and leave.

If you find yourself in a bad place, especially after dark, consider why in the **** you are there, and consider if it is appropriate for you to be there. If it is not, and it NEVER IS, leave.

Finally: If you need to do it alone, after midnight, or while intoxicated.... you do not need to do it.

Also, if you're good at something never do it for free.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
UpDok

Post by UpDok »

survivalinstinct,
Just out of curiosity how are the knife laws in Chennai? Are there many restrictions?

Welcome to the forum!
[LEFT]“Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” Isaiah 45:22 KJV [/LEFT]