Choil on a Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buendia518

Choil on a Delica?

Post by Buendia518 »

Has this ever been considered ala the change to the police? Or perhaps there's another model I'm missing that fits the bill? (Not quite enough space for me to grip the Sage or the Native, and I'm thinking FRN)

There appears to be just enough room to fit a 50/50 choil in place of the ricasso. In fact I've been looking through old threads and there certainly is enough space. Here's an old thread where a forum member made one himself .
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... lica+choil

I understand this would be frowed upon by a fair number of people and due to the success of the Delica it might never be considered. Still I would love to see it or ideally a brand new frn option :D . To my knowledge there's no FRN three inch option with a full normal grip plus a choil grip.
I'm curious what others think.

Take care everyone.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There'd probably be a better chance of Spyderco reviving the Calypso Jr with the Caly 3 blade shape. Aside from that, sometimes those of us who lack the time or the talent to bend a knife to our will have to choose between not having it exactly the way we want it or paying what I call the "my way tax" and finding a craftsman willing to make the changes we desire. I've paid that tax a number of times and have almost always found it was worth paying.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Don't want to see a choil on the Delica or Endura....... please.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Have you tried a stretch? To my mind "delica with choil" is a stretch.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Jazz wrote:Don't want to see a choil on the Delica or Endura....... please.
Same here. There are already too many smaller Spydercos ruined by a choil
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

I can't see putting a choil on the Delica, it would be a unpopular change, but also understand there would be a want by some for the Choil.

I am not sure if there are other requirements your wanting.
There is the New Spy-DK lightweight blade is 2.69 in the FRN is the style of the squeak. This does not have lock mechanism.

The Byrd line Meadowlark is sister to the Spyderco Delica is actual at 2.90 has a lock back and is FRN. It is a very good knife.
For the price you can't miss, get this now while waiting for something in the Spyderco line to come out.
Blue Possum
araneae

Post by araneae »

This has come up many times before. A choil would be a drastic change on the Delica design and many people don't want to see it happen. I would say it is very unlikely to happen.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Blue Possum

Post by Blue Possum »

TomAiello wrote:Have you tried a stretch? To my mind "delica with choil" is a stretch.
I think they are in a state he needs it under 3 in.
That would disqualify the stretch.
For me I take the gamble and still carry the stretch. The Stretch is one of my favorites. It would be everything you want.
Blue Possum
David from NC

Post by David from NC »

phaust wrote:Same here. There are already too many smaller Spydercos ruined by a choil
Amen. I'm new here but I am an avowed "Anti-choil" person. The choil is to "choke up" on a bigger knife to do the temporary (TEMPORARY) work of a small knife. How much "choking up" do you need on a 3" (+/-) pocket knife? Use a box cutter (?) maybe? ;)

If anything, let's sharpen the ricasso so the edge comes to the guard portion like a bushcraft blade! :cool:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blue Possum wrote:I think they are in a state he needs it under 3 in.
That would disqualify the stretch.
For me I take the gamble and still carry the stretch. The Stretch is one of my favorites. It would be everything you want.
Of course one could always grind half an inch off a Stretch's blade. In the process, one might even be able to straighten the spine for a more Delica-like appearance. Or the OP could just buy my favorite Spyderco for days when I have to contend with a 3" limit, the CF Chaparral.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
A-Ro

Post by A-Ro »

I thought I'd want a choil as well on the Delica....until I got one in my hands! It really doesn't need it and, I can see why it is one of the most used/carried EDC blades out there. To put a choil on it would mean it would no longer be a Delica.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

A Caly is basically a delica with a choil. I've moved from a delica man to a caly man based upon this exact interest. I found myself putting my finger on the area above the handle (and below the kick) on my delica more and more - so I got a caly and I've loved it ever since. A Caly 3.5 is almost like an Endura with a choil. Also, there is a byrd knife that's basically a delica with a choil.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I like the Meadowlark because of the choil. Delica's fine without it, but a choil for me would be useful. Here's the thing, you don't loose any edge at all by adding a choil so...why not. I suppose some could dislike it because of aesthetics. I'm an Endura fan and the old Calypso is a slightly larger G10 choiled Endura :eek: Dig it.

This has come up before when people ask for a choiled Delica on what improvements should go on to the Delica5. You get both replies of yes and no. My suggestion was to make both...a choiled and non choiled version. They already do it with the Meadowlark. I wish I wasn't too lazy to show comparison pics on a)how you dont loose an iota of edge b)How the Delica's handle shape at the choil can already accommodate a finger choiled blade as is.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

I hardly remember posting this...not the best sign but oh well. Today my thoughts on this are "why did I post this? I love my Delica as is."

Thanks for humoring me. I realize it's sort of an asinine idea to raise, useful as it might be for some people, because the Delica is a flagship product and had been a top seller long before I ever saw one. I did forget about the meadowlark and now that it's in my head I might try one.

I own and enjoy all the other knives mentioned here so I do have my needs overly covered but I still want one. I might take the Deacon's advice and seek help from a professional. :D Adding a choil that is.