Caly 3/3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Revival

Caly 3/3.5

Post by Revival »

I know, I know, another Caly 3/3.5 thread. Trust me I have read every Caly 3 vs 3.5 thread there is, looked at every picture with both knives and watched every video there is regarding both knives.

That being said, I recieved my Caly 3 today and my first impression wow this is a beautiful knife, but the blade just seems too small. Immediate thought is I need to get the Caly 3.5 instead but worried that it might be too big? Caly 3.25 anyone?...haha.

So my questions is how many of you bought the Caly 3 and had the same impression and bought the 3.5 instead? How many of you have bought the 3.5 first and decided to get the 3 because you felt the 3.5 was too big? For those of you with both, which one do you carry/use more?

I can look at pictures, read threads and watch videos all day but I think I will not know what I want till I get both in my hands.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have both in VG10/G10 variant and absolutely do not need Caly3.25.
I love both knives. I fall in love with Caly3, when I saw Wouter's picture from Amsterdam meet and bought the knife on the first day when it hits my dealer shelf. I carried it daily since the day I received it, sometimes wishing that the blade would be a little longer. So when 3.5 came out I switched. I never went back after that. I still carry Caly3 once in a while, when I go out of state and not sure about laws. I was really upset, when Spyderco discontinued this variant. If one day we will see sprint (even I have couple of original production), most likely I will buy it.
For me both feel in the hand the same. I read comments that Caly3 balanced a little better. possibly this is true, but I never felt this way. Both are near perfect knives for EDC. I am talking about G10 variant. I never was attracted to CF/ZDP variant. I used to have CF Caly3. I owned it for many years and sold it recently. Never wanted to buy 3.5 CF variant.
Is this what you traded your N5 for? If yes, than it is not that bad :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Depending on what you're used to, either'll feel different (too big/too small, etc.), but use it and you'll get acquainted. If you got a 3.5, you could mod it to a 3.25. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Like bh49 said having both might be a good approach. If you really like the knife that's the first hurdle. Having two popular blade lengths of it is frequently handy.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the 3 is the perfect size and if I want more blade, go with the full size Calypso. * Comment removed by Roman's intentions. :p *
I agree with Jazz, grind .25 off the blade, no reason to do a whole run for it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I have never handled the 3.5 but since I got my 3 a month ago it has been in the rfp since.. I prefer the slimmer handled knives (Delica, Cento3/4, etc) .. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

For me I think it comes down to legality. I've never heard a law that limited a knife to 3.25 and unfortunately a lot of us are limited by these laws. Here in CO the limit is 3.5 and in denver I believe it is only 3. I figured that is why some are 3 and some are 3.5, those are the most common size restrictions. The market doesn't really ask for much in between so the makers make a lot of those two sizes. There are obviously examples otherwise but that is the norm from my observations.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I tend to use the 3 more, when traveling to unfriendly jurisdictions. At home, when I want more blade, I usually skip the 3.5 and go for something much larger because there is no legal restriction here (and even if there were, our CCW covers knives anyway).

Random question, but in Colorado having a concealed carry permit doesn't let you carry a longer blade?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:Like bh49 said having both might be a good approach. If you really like the knife that's the first hurdle. Having two popular blade lengths of it is frequently handy.
I agree, Blake. I have both in super blue and both are terrific. I guess the 3 fits my needs better, day in - day out.

Ken
玉鋼
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I think the Caly 3.5 is the best knife Spyderco makes period and for those who haven't tried it you owe it to yourself to do so. The Caly 3 doesn't make any sense because the handle is about the same size as on the 3.5
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

...have both(3 in c.f zdp189 and vg10 with teeth,3.5 in vg10 and 3.5 in super blue).if i could only have 3 OR 3.5,would probably take 3.5...fellow spyderheads,can you imagine a 3.5 with TEETH?.!.THAT would be AWESOME(nudge nudge wink wink)...seems teeth are becoming more scarce these days.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I've been considering a caly3 for a while but I havent really been able to sell it to myself.. To me it just seems like a gentleman's delica.. Same blade shape, very similar size.. I cant see it as an edc blade, so even if I have one I'd probably just keep it in the drawer and keep using the delica for day to day tasks
And when i need a classier knife in the pocket I'll just go with my sage 1

So yea.. Ill probably never get a caly 3..maybe a g10 3.5..And a native 5
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sorry. I didn't really answer your question. I don't actually own either one but I have handled them both and it just comes down to personal preference and personal need. I am somewhat indifferent to length. As long as it is between 2.75 and 3.5 inches it will do anything I need it to do for an edc. If I had both I am sure I would at times carry both together even.

Ccw in colorado has nothing to do with knives. It is 3.5 statewide unless involved in a "sporting activity" like hunting or fishing. That is only concealed and you can open carry any length and of course municipalities may impose stricter laws.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:I think the 3.5 is the odd ball and could be eliminated.
Brian,
This is very dangerous thought. I would never repeat it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Quick, get the torches!! I agree with Roman, your comment is bordering on sacrilegious there Brian! I'll pretend I didn't see that!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Donut wrote:I think the 3 is the perfect size and if I want more blade, go with the full size Calypso. I think the 3.5 is the odd ball and could be eliminated.

I agree with Jazz, grind .25 off the blade, no reason to do a whole run for it.
I never got on with the full sized one, but I like the 3 and 3.5 a lot. Prefer the 3.5 in CF and ZDP if I had to pick one..
Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote:Brian,
This is very dangerous thought. I would never repeat it.
LOL, maybe I'm still trying to sway them into a production version of the Calypso. :p

For your sake, I will never mention the elimination of one of your favorite models. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

the 3.5 in the closed position is barely bigger than the 3, if that helps at all :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kbuzbee wrote:I agree, Blake. I have both in super blue and both are terrific. I guess the 3 fits my needs better, day in - day out.

Ken
Good point. If I was the the OP, I would prob just buy the G10/VG10 or CF/ZDP larger version. That way they are different enough to justify.

Justification is an addict's best friend. :p
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Holland wrote:the 3.5 in the closed position is barely bigger than the 3, if that helps at all :)
+1
the Caly 3.5 is in closed position just 0.4 inch bigger than the Caly 3
Here's a size comparision of some members of the Calypso/Caly-family: Calypso, Caly 3.5, Caly 3, Calypso jr.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.