Southard Style

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dgebler

Southard Style

Post by dgebler »

With all the discussion about the Southard I decided to break mine out and carry it for the past few days. I love the design, but just could never fall in love with the brown frown scale. I also got mine second hand and the edge was not meeting so I thought "oh, this just isn't a great slicer" Anyways, I dedicated some real time to re-profile the edge with my Sharpmaker (medium rods only...it took some time, well over 100 passes each side just to get the edge to meet at 30 degrees). So after extreme frustration on my first attempt and the lack of a copy paper shaving edge, I finally got the edge to meet using the sharpie trick and steady pressure. Once I got a good 30 degree edge to meet and cleaned up a little with the fine sticks I could really shave hair for the first time with the blade.

After much reading, I decided that since I have such a sharp 30 degree edge (for my skill level at least) I will not put a microbevel on this, but use the 40 degree setting with fine stones for touch-up. So I would have to change my previous assumption as incorrect. The Southard is as capable a slicer as many of my Spydies.

So I took care of my incorrect fear that the blade was just not a good slicer, but still had the brown scales. The thread about the broken blade made me think about my use of the knife, and is this a potential gentleman's knife in hiding. I polished the G-10 scales (not high polish, but 1500 grit wet sand) with an intentional used/vintage look and dyed with 1/2 bottle of navy blue Rit liquid dye. This gives a pretty cool dark blue jeans look and perfect coverage of the brown (yes, i did the tab as well).

[ATTACH]23177[/ATTACH]

The result is a very sharp, small in the pocket beast of a gentleman's knive (or at least passable for work in a coat and tie) IMO. The whole discussion about the knife let me think about this in a different way, not as a wolf of a knife...but more of a slick EDC for the discerning professional.
Attachments
Southard Style.jpg
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I like it, very nicely done.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

It's a tough steel to work down since it's so wear resistant, but once you get a nice edge on it, it feels like it stays sharp forever.

Those dyed and rubbed scales look nice, it really changes the character of the knife. I'm getting some scales done next week, I can't wait to see the end result and post some pictures!
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Man I really like what you did with that scale. I don't know if it's for me, as I really love the course texture G10, but the color is great..not blue, not black. The brown is growing on me though, I like how it contrasts with the Ti. I think instead of dying the factory scale, I'll look into a custom one so I can switch back if I want to, or maybe even look for someone who already has a custom scale who will sell me their stock one for cheap, then I'll mod one of those.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Looks great!
:bug-red-white
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:Man I really like what you did with that scale. I don't know if it's for me, as I really love the course texture G10, but the color is great..not blue, not black. The brown is growing on me though, I like how it contrasts with the Ti. I think instead of dying the factory scale, I'll look into a custom one so I can switch back if I want to, or maybe even look for someone who already has a custom scale who will sell me their stock one for cheap, then I'll mod one of those.
A stock Southard scale went for $29 or so on eBay a week or two ago, just to give you a ballpark price on what folks are asking. I haven't seen too many though (I am looking since I dropped mine on asphalt and dinged the G10), and I just missed that eBay one (napping with my kids).

Very nice scale dgebler! I also dyed mine black, but prefer to keep the coarse G10 (even put one on my Domino to match). Cheers, Paul :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Very nice job! I think that looks a lot better than the original.
On the hunt for...
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Good job ! :D

rather than touching up at 40 degrees per side, I recomment pinching the top of the rods in, (you can keep them in place with a rubber band even) That will change the inclusive angle to about 36 inclusive...... there is such a huge sharpness leap between 40 and 36
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Very cool work :) !
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

razorsharp wrote:Good job ! :D

rather than touching up at 40 degrees per side, I recomment pinching the top of the rods in, (you can keep them in place with a rubber band even) That will change the inclusive angle to about 36 inclusive...... there is such a huge sharpness leap between 40 and 36
I keep meaning to try this!

I kind of wish that Spyderco would release a "Pro" Sharpmaker which was just the plastic base, no rods or anything, but with more extreme angles. Like 25 and 35 inclusive instead of 30 and 40.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Very nice
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they made a Sharpmaker that had infinitely adjustable rod angles, I would buy one. They would have to create some kind of pivoting slot, but it wouldn't be impossible. I've toyed with making my own base to except the Sharpmaker stones but once I got my Edge Pro I never bothered.
~David
Manchu

Post by Manchu »

Looks good. Nice job!

On a side note, it'd be great to see Spyderco offer some factory custom scales, i.e. carbon fiber, canvas/linen micarta, etc.
Keep Up The Fire!!

:spyder: : Janich/Snody Ronin, Chinook II (2/ea.), Manix (1st gen.), Persian (1st gen), UKPK-G10/orange, UKPK-G10/fg, Southard, Gayle Bradley, Goddard OD Lightweight Sprint Run

**Sent from a remote location using smoke signals.**
Holland

Post by Holland »

Great Job!
razorsharp wrote:Good job ! :D

I just started doing this, and it slices much better
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:A stock Southard scale went for $29 or so on eBay a week or two ago, just to give you a ballpark price on what folks are asking.
Am I being a cheap *** or is $30 kinda steep for one G10 liner? I would probably just make one myself for that much and have a bunch of G10 left over.
~David
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:Am I being a cheap *** or is $30 kinda steep for one G10 liner? I would probably just make one myself for that much and have a bunch of G10 left over.
Just reporting the facts sir... Yes, I agree it's expensive. Worth it for folks not wanting to make their own or with little skill, probably just about right... $20-30 would be what I would figure they would go for on the street, with one gravitating toward the higher end of that price range to cover the eBay and Paypal fees, etc. I myself am actually avoiding going down that road myself, because I know I would end up just making scales every day (with wood being my first material of choice). Back before my nerd job I have now, I swung a hammer for a living for several years. That experience and love of tools definitely fueled my Spyderco collecting passion, as they are about the coolest tools I've laid my hands on... Sorry, long answer to a short question. David, I am sure it'd be easier, cheaper and more gratifying to you to make one yourself. Obviously you've got the skills and equipment (your Rock Lobster mod is testament enough to that, wanna mod another one? ;) ). Cheers, Paul
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Syncharmony wrote:I keep meaning to try this!

I kind of wish that Spyderco would release a "Pro" Sharpmaker which was just the plastic base, no rods or anything, but with more extreme angles. Like 25 and 35 inclusive instead of 30 and 40.
Great idea!! I just reprofiled my first knife on the sharpaker, well it's 95 percent done, and even though it didn't seem too efficient, I'll try it on a few more knives soon.
Having invested in diamond and ultrafine rods, another plastic base that included a variety of angles would be a great addition to my system and much cheaper than moving to an edge pro, etc..

Also OP, great work I love the new style.