Native 5 s35vn

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I've been trying to limit my purchases lately but a CF/S110v native is a must have.
Leon

Post by Leon »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:They do indeed seem to be scarce on the market these days, eBay and the forums seem to be the only avenue. I wonder if there's a general holdup on the entire Native 5 line... I also keep getting emails the last few weeks from GPKnives to make sure my payment info is up to date for my peel ply CF/S110V preorder. Maybe that's a good sign the dam will break soon on the supply lines?

Good luck finding one, they rock! My favorite by far is the 2013 forum knife, it seems to be a much smoother operator than my S35VN ones. With the insane blade steel on it too, it's worth saving up and getting that one over the standard black G10 version, IMHO. Cheers.

P.S. Just couldn't resist adding a pic of my N4/N5 family. :)

****..thats quite a collection! *drool* lol

I've been eyeing BF but a lot of people rather not go through hassle of shipping to Canada..
Goddamnit..gotta move to the states lol
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:They do indeed seem to be scarce on the market these days, eBay and the forums seem to be the only avenue. I wonder if there's a general holdup on the entire Native 5 line... I also keep getting emails the last few weeks from GPKnives to make sure my payment info is up to date for my peel ply CF/S110V preorder. Maybe that's a good sign the dam will break soon on the supply lines?

Good luck finding one, they rock! My favorite by far is the 2013 forum knife, it seems to be a much smoother operator than my S35VN ones. With the insane blade steel on it too, it's worth saving up and getting that one over the standard black G10 version, IMHO. Cheers.

P.S. Just couldn't resist adding a pic of my N4/N5 family. :)

That is an awesome collection of Natives! Who made the custom wood scales Paul?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I believe that this was Luke of Cascadi. Mine came from there.

they became darker with use.

Check out their facebook page.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yup, thanks Roman! Those desert ironwood scales are indeed through Luke at Cuscadi. Once I saw Roman's version (which I think are a bit cooler than mine!), I just had to get one, it was too alluring for me to resist. Been thinking it may be time for an orange Anso style G10 scale for the next Native 5 mod (since I'm too impatient for Sal to get us one ;) ). I was also thinking to perhaps get a matching ironwood set for my Southard and Domino (and later the Dice :) ?), and will likely get a quote for that from Luke, but I've also seen great wood scales by Steve Ketchen (spketch on Blade Forums) that look equally as beautiful. Those Golden Ambonia Yo2 scales from Luke that dgebler put up here are also very drool worthy! No question that Cuscadi's scales are first rate. They are a bit pricey, and did take a bit to get to me from Germany, but boy are they worth it in the end when you see the finished product.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... post903231

Thanks Eric and Roman! Cheers, Paul
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wow. That fluted Ti just looks better every time I see one...
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Been wanting to tray an N5 for quite some time, but something else always came up. I finally decide to get serious and find out they are scarce. I did just score a BNIB one through BF on a trade. Traded my camo/satin P2 for it. I'm looking forward to trying the Native 5.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

TomAiello wrote:Wow. That fluted Ti just looks better every time I see one...
I saw one recently at quite good price at knivesplus :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:No question that Cuscadi's scales are first rate.
Did your Ironwood scales became darker from use?

rodloos

Post by rodloos »

bh49 wrote:I saw one recently at quite good price at knivesplus :)
I have recently also seen and passed up a couple of fluted Ti Natives. Very hard to pass up, something about it being scarce just triggers my buy-it-now reflex, but since I have 3 of them now, along with 3 GITD EDCF Natives *and* a regular G10 one, I decided I'd better let somebody else enjoy one, I *really* don't need another one :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Leon

Post by Leon »

Finally got me a Native 5!! :D
Got it used, in excellent shape
Absolutely love the pivot bushing system..by far the smoothest backlock knife I own.
Extremely comfortable.
It's rising fast to becoming a favorite Spydie
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Congrats. Enjoy the knife. Mine is in my pocket. And already was used today. Nothing is better than Native5 on recycling day. It is cardboard (and everything else) killer.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:Congrats. Enjoy the knife. Mine is in my pocket. And already was used today. Nothing is better than Native5 on recycling day. It is cardboard (and everything else) killer.
I don't cut up a lot of cardboard - how does the S35VN hold up for you on cardboard? :spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

John,
Sorry, if I mislead you. I am using Forum Native since they came out. This one can take on a lot of thick cardboard. Few weeks ago I cut into pieces (at our recycle center you can bring cardboard not bigger than 2x2) a box from elliptical, which was made out quite thick cardboard and blade was doing quite fine. I was using S35VN before that and it was fine. But I never cut really thick cardboard with it, just regular boxes. Still even with my use I can see that S110V hold edge much better. After cutting several boxes S35VN will still be sharp, but sometimes will have trouble to push cut magazine paper. My S110V already went through couple recycle days and push cut paper without problem. I also use Natives at work, but always clean blades from taper.
Roman

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

bh49 wrote:Did your Ironwood scales became darker from use?
Hi Roman, sorry didn't see your question until now... I actually have only handled/used the knife on less than ten occasions, mainly limited by the fact that I couldn't get the clip back onto the slightly thicker Cuscadi scales with the stock clip bolts (since remedied with some longer ones). I didn't want it rattling around free in my pocket getting scratched up with my keys, etc. I have noticed that my scales look a bit different in the character of the DIW than yours, with mine having smaller swirls and less overall color contrast from lights to darks than yours. What did you finish yours with oil-wise or wax-wise?

The N5 I do typically EDC is the forum version, and it is sheer perfection and epitomizes of the evolution of the series (in terms of steel, along with the fluted Ti for scales). I know you agree :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
bh49

Post by bh49 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Hi Roman, sorry didn't see your question until now... I actually have only handled/used the knife on less than ten occasions, mainly limited by the fact that I couldn't get the clip back onto the slightly thicker Cuscadi scales with the stock clip bolts (since remedied with some longer ones). I didn't want it rattling around free in my pocket getting scratched up with my keys, etc. I have noticed that my scales look a bit different in the character of the DIW than yours, with mine having smaller swirls and less overall color contrast from lights to darks than yours. What did you finish yours with oil-wise or wax-wise?
The N5 I do typically EDC is the forum version, and it is sheer perfection and epitomizes of the evolution of the series (in terms of steel, along with the fluted Ti for scales). I know you agree :D
I didn't treat my scales. I installed them as is. BTW, I didn't have any issues to use original screws for a clip.

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

bh49 wrote:John,
Sorry, if I mislead you. I am using Forum Native since they came out. This one can take on a lot of thick cardboard. Few weeks ago I cut into pieces (at our recycle center you can bring cardboard not bigger than 2x2) a box from elliptical, which was made out quite thick cardboard and blade was doing quite fine. I was using S35VN before that and it was fine. But I never cut really thick cardboard with it, just regular boxes. Still even with my use I can see that S110V hold edge much better. After cutting several boxes S35VN will still be sharp, but sometimes will have trouble to push cut magazine paper. My S110V already went through couple recycle days and push cut paper without problem. I also use Natives at work, but always clean blades from taper.
Roman
Roman, no problem! :) You have a very finicky recycling center? 2x2 is harsh. If our place didn't take anything that fits down the cute to the container, I'd be cutting an awful lot of cardboard, too. :o

S110V is king steel. Or maybe that's proper nouns, King Steel, or at least one of the Kings. I have no trouble imagining it going and going and going on cardboard.

I'm always surprised at how tough cardboard is on tools.

I spend a lot of time on my elliptical...I have worn out quite a few parts...I bet it's been to the moon and back by now! :eek: :D

- John
Revival

Post by Revival »

I need a favor, can some one with the S35v version post a close up pic of the lock back please? Mine has a gap and not sure if this is normal or not? My Native 5 is very stiff and nothing seems to be working. If I slowly open the blade, it opens in increments with vibration feeling. I love this knife and been trying to figure it out.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Revival wrote:I need a favor, can some one with the S35v version post a close up pic of the lock back please? Mine has a gap and not sure if this is normal or not? My Native 5 is very stiff and nothing seems to be working. If I slowly open the blade, it opens in increments with vibration feeling. I love this knife and been trying to figure it out.
Have you tried loosening the pivot screws?
Revival

Post by Revival »

Leon wrote:Have you tried loosening the pivot screws?
Yes I have tried everything i can think of. I don't like posting questions like this unless I have exhausted all efforts. I have tried:

- adjusting pivot (I always check this first)
- rinsing with warm soapy water multiple times
- oil
- grease