Sage 2 or Techno

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VeloWeave

Sage 2 or Techno

Post by VeloWeave »

I wanted a full titanium frame lock Spyderco and was saving up for a Techno but came across a really good deal on a Sage 2 so I bought it. I wanted to see how it compared to my small Sebenza, which is on it's way back from the CRK spa as we speak so I'll have it in a couple days.

My first impressions on the Sage 2 was that it's a bit bigger than what I'm used to carrying. After playing with it for a few days it's starting to grow on me more. It deploys very smoothly, and the click-clunk sound that you hear at lockup inspires confidence. This knife really seems to be one of the nicest, simplest blades on the market. The implementation of the framelock and titanium and S30V is a perfect combination and is so aesthetically pleasing in its design. I think this blade could easily be the cornerstone of any collection for someone just starting out as it sets the bar for quality, design, and materials. With all that said, I really don't know if I will carry this knife all that often, or even at all. I prefer smaller blades for edc and I have other knives that are the same blade length as Sage but a little bit more svelt such as Caly 3 CF and Delica 4 FFG. I'm also a big fan of the no safe queen mentality, as I like to do more than just look at my blades.

Which brings me to the Techno. I would most definitely carry this blade quite often. It hits so many of the points that I consider when choosing a blade for edc and I've heard so much talk of how well put together it is. I would have to part ways with the Sage 2 in order to get a Techno anytime soon so this is my dilemma. I will wait until at least my Small Sebenza comes back so I can get a good comparison of the two side by side.

So what do you guys think of the Sage 2 vs. Techno? Have any of you parted ways with one and kept the other, I'd love to hear why and your general opinions of the two.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I have both, and plan to keep both. The Techno is on a whole different level of substantial quality feel in the hand. It's the closest Spydie to a Sebenza there is, IMO. It locks open with a rock solid thwack that makes the Sage 2 seem delicate. The stonewashed finish looks great, and really holds up well in EDC use. You should try to get ahold of a Techno to try before committing to selling anything, and I think there should be room in any collection for both.
:bug-red-white
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

I would like to hear what tasks you will do with your blade.
Holland

Post by Holland »

If probably sell the sebenza and buy the techno :D if that's not an option, I would keep the sage2. It's a great knife with a more appropriate thickness to blade length :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
knolan

Post by knolan »

gbelleh wrote:I have both, and plan to keep both. The Techno is on a whole different level of substantial quality feel in the hand. It's the closest Spydie to a Sebenza there is, IMO. It locks open with a rock solid thwack that makes the Sage 2 seem delicate. The stonewashed finish looks great, and really holds up well in EDC use. You should try to get ahold of a Techno to try before committing to selling anything, and I think there should be room in any collection for both.
I completely agree with this post. I too own both and as much as I like the Sage 2 (a lot), IMO the Techno is a fantastic bargain at current street prices of around $150/$155, and if it lacked any markings/branding...could easily pass as a custom or high end mid-tech. Many have posted that it has supplanted their small Sebbies for pocket time for a legitimate reason!

I keep thinking I should pick up another just in case the availability starts shrinking or prices rise, since if something happened to my only copy and I found I couldn't replace it easily and at a reasonable cost...I'd regret it for quite a while.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

gbelleh wrote:I have both, and plan to keep both. The Techno is on a whole different level of substantial quality feel in the hand. It's the closest Spydie to a Sebenza there is, IMO. It locks open with a rock solid thwack that makes the Sage 2 seem delicate. The stonewashed finish looks great, and really holds up well in EDC use. You should try to get ahold of a Techno to try before committing to selling anything, and I think there should be room in any collection for both.
Thanks gbelleh, I don't really have a stout little folder yet in my collection. Closest thing in length I have is Chaparral. Just looked and was surprised to find that Techno and Sage 2 both weigh in at 3.6 ounces.
zinczinc wrote:I would like to hear what tasks you will do with your blade.
I pretty much do light duty edc tasks and once in awhile some food prep. I have Delica4 FFG, Chaparral, and Caly 3 that all excel in this category. Southard doesn't do too bad either, it actually opens mail quite well for such a thick stock. I think blade shape of Sage 2 lends itself nicely to these tasks as well. I have no idea how Techno would perform. Maybe like the Southard, I don't know?
Holland wrote:If probably sell the sebenza and buy the techno :D if that's not an option, I would keep the sage2. It's a great knife with a more appropriate thickness to blade length :)
Thanks Holland, I've seen many folks who have sold their Sebenza in favor of Sage 2. For me I like that Sebenza is more narrow from side to side, I almost forget it's in the pocket, kind of like my Caly 3. I guess I'm partial to the narrow stuff, like Caly, Sebenza, and Southard. Only thing I don't like about Sebenza is those darn thumbstuds. I really have to build up a light callous on my thumb in order to enjoy it's detent. The Sage 2 with the Spydie hole is like butter. There really is no better method of deployment than that spyder hole, except for maybe the flipper.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I don't have a Sage, but I can vouch that the Techno is one awesomely solid little knife. It feels strong enough to hammer through a tailgate (Not that I'd try it)...the word robust comes to mind. I'll get a Sage, but I have my eye on the CF Sage 3.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

well, well well, if your light duty task is in term of open boxes, then techno is pretty good with it. However, i dont expect too much from techno on detail cutting.(food pre.)
i go hiking with my techno and it cuts sticks like a boss lol.

p.s current techno lover.=]
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

For over 6 years, my default folder was a Small Sebenza. It's the yardstick knife for me. When I buy other knives, it's because I want something different than a Sebenza, but I'd never expect anything else to be better, especially in terms of F&F.

I owned a Sage 2 and was very pleased with it, but it never really challenged the Sebenza for top spot. F&F was very good, ergos were better than my Seb, and performance was also very good. But it didn't feel as stout and I'm not really a huge fan of choils that take away cutting edge. So off it went like most knives I've tried, while the Seb retained top spot.

I ended up buying the Techno to hold me over until a few other "better" knives would become available. As soon as I received the Techno, I knew something was different about it. It was so friggin solid feeling and had amazing F&F. I would give the edge to the Seb in terms of F&F, but only just barely. My techno has better F&F than did my Hinderers, Striders and the few customs I've owned. I just blows me away. Mine also feels extremely stout. The thick blade stock coupled with the very short lock-bar makes for a very solid feeling knife. While ergos might not be as obvious as are many traditional Spyderco designs, I've been very pleased with how it locks into my medium-large hands for both hard, challenging cuts as well as for precision cutting.

Since owning it, I've cut everything from bagels to 5" firehose without issue. The steel has been amazing. No chipping. No rolling. I've hit staples without any damage. It's also been very easy to maintain. I just give it a few passes on the whites and it comes back to hair-popping sharpness.

I like it so much, I ended up selling my Sebenza and have carried it every day since August, 2012. I consider it a better true compact EDC than my Sebenza, as it's more stout with what I consider to be a superior blade steel at a far better price.

I love it!
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I think the solution is to buy a Titanium Military, after carrying that for a week, your Sage 2 will seem small :) .

The Techno is a really fun little knife. It is amazing how well it cuts, considering how thick/stout the blade is. I'm a bit OCD about keeping Ti handles away from my keys since it scratches easily, so I carry my Techno in my 5th pocket, cargo pocket or back pocket away from keys.

But the Sage 2 is pretty nice too if you decide to keep that one. Hard to go wrong with any of them that fit your needs size-wise.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

rodloos wrote:I think the solution is to buy a Titanium Military, after carrying that for a week, your Sage 2 will seem small :) .

The Techno is a really fun little knife. It is amazing how well it cuts, considering how thick/stout the blade is. I'm a bit OCD about keeping Ti handles away from my keys since it scratches easily, so I carry my Techno in my 5th pocket, cargo pocket or back pocket away from keys.

But the Sage 2 is pretty nice too if you decide to keep that one. Hard to go wrong with any of them that fit your needs size-wise.
That's one of the reasons I have a carbiner on my keys. Keep them away from anything that can be scratched up like phone or knife. Also, I just don't like the bulk in my pocket.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
CGSshorty

Post by CGSshorty »

I love them both. They aren't far apart in size but they feel very different in the hand.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I just got an awesome deal on both, like new in box, for $270 including shipping! (some fellow was selling his spyderco collection on ebay)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Aside from the similarities in material, to me this is a no contest. The Sage is just light years ahead of the Techno in ergos and EDCability. When I look at the Techno, I see a knife that used to have an inch more blade and handle, but the blade tip broke and the owner ground it down and shortened the handle and made a stubby version of itself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Evil D wrote:Aside from the similarities in material, to me this is a no contest. The Sage is just light years ahead of the Techno in ergos and EDCability...
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you Evil D. I've owned a couple of Sage 1's and 2's and I ditched them all in favor of the Techno. The techno folds up smaller, carries better in the pocket and still manages to offer a good four finger grip. It's definitely a no contest for me, the Techno is the way to go.

I will add that the Sage 2 is a fantastic knife, but the Techno is just a little more special to me.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

senorsquare wrote:I'll have to respectfully disagree with you Evil D. I've owned a couple of Sage 1's and 2's and I ditched them all in favor of the Techno. The techno folds up smaller, carries better in the pocket and still manages to offer a good four finger grip. It's definitely a no contest for me, the Techno is the way to go.

I will add that the Sage 2 is a fantastic knife, but the Techno is just a little more special to me.

:D
~David
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Nice one :D
Evil D wrote:Image

:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I won't lie, a big part of my lack of interest in the Techno is the looks. I'm just not a fan of short and stubby. There have been a few that I could almost get into, but for the most part I need a knife to be sexy and have some kind of exotic feel to it. The Techno just doesn't do that for me. It's a shame because I really love Ti.
~David
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Isn't there supposed to be a larger version of the Techno in the works?
:bug-red-white
remnar

Post by remnar »

Evil D wrote:I won't lie, a big part of my lack of interest in the Techno is the looks. I'm just not a fan of short and stubby. There have been a few that I could almost get into, but for the most part I need a knife to be sexy and have some kind of exotic feel to it. The Techno just doesn't do that for me. It's a shame because I really love Ti.
Insert: "That's what she said" joke. :D

I agree with you Evil D. I'm sure the Techno is superb in fit in finish, but I don't see how the ergos can be better than the Sage 2, and for some reason it always reminds me of a peanut when I see it.