Babes in Spyderco Land -- How do you collect?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Babes in Spyderco Land -- How do you collect?

Post by DougC-3 »

(unfortunately I meant baby-type babes) What's your buying strategy? What are your criteria for collecting or buying Spyderco knives? How do you choose them?

It's really more like candy land than toy land. Some people, on waking up in candy land would stop at the first candy tree and eat their fill. I fall into the category who would try to sample as many trees as possible for fear of missing a really, really good one, or maybe I just like a lot of variety. My goal at any restaurant is to try everything on the menu. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

I realize this is a hopeless strategy for a collector, that it's best to pick some finite category or time period and fill it, but I don't have to worry about that, because I'm still not admitting that I'm a collector -- can't afford it. I'm just buying some knives (I won't bore you with how my income can be both fixed and broke at the same time :eek :)

So my Spyderco buying strategy is a trade-off between looking for my perfect knife and sampling as many knife types and designs, materials, and countries of origin as possible.

What's yours?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Usually I just buy what I like. I work at a desk, so I'm a light user most of the time. I also already have what I consider my perfect knives.

I do have a couple collecting goals though: all Ed Schempp designs, and all Para 2 sprints and exclusives. Aside from that, there's no rhyme or reason to what I acquire.
:bug-red-white
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Strategy:
1. I work and they pay me once a month
2. I have to waste a bunch of money of useless stuff like the mortgage, food, lighting etc etc
3. What I have left I can spend on Spydercos.
4. I spend that money on Spydercos I like the look of

That's about it. ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I am lucky in that I have a b&m store not too far from me so I can handle all the knives and then buy what I like. Also if I like a knife, and then a sprint is released I'll buy it (if I like the materials). And then even if I don't like the model (PM2) but I want the steel, I'll buy the knife.
On the hunt for...
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I've like to buy knives new from dealers but most of my knives have come from buying, selling and trading on the forums. I think I've completed about 40 or so transactions over the last year or so. I would sometimes buy a knife and carry it for a while to decide if i wanted to keep it. A lot of times I would have a knife a week or two and then sell it and use the money to buy a different knife to try out. Rinse, repeat.

I've made money on some knives and lost money on others but I've been able to handle, carry and use a whole lot of different knives in this time while hopefully breaking close to even. It's given me an opportunity to really figure out what I like and don't like in my pocket knives before settling on the ones I consider to be keepers in the collection. You have to be careful because there are lots of fakes and dishonest people out there but I have to say I've been fortunate that all my transactions have gone smoothly. This may not be the strategy for everyone, but it is one that has worked for me and that I have enjoyed.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I started collecting a long time ago and haven't ever considered myself a "collector" as much as an aficionado. I don't have any safe-queens or knives that I don't carry - but with over 100 Spydies, there are some that get carried more than others! I only buy what looks interesting to me. For this reason, I don't own many of the Ethnic series - they are really cool knives, but I wouldn't find myself carrying/using most of them very much. So I don't buy many of them. Having said that, here are a couple of groups that I purchase:

- Paramilitaries. I have at least one of every make and model that Sal and Eric have ever released. I'm waiting with bated breath for the fluted CF model to hit the street!

- Solo knives. This is a sister brand of knives that Sal designed in the early 1990s and which were made in Seki Japan. I'm trying to build a complete set of all variations of the 5 models and still have a couple to go. (Thanks, Nicolas!)

- Small pocket knives for modification. I have undertaken a dangerously addicting hobby of modifying knives with custom scales and filework. I do a lot of Mules, but also like to put scales on small folders - so I collect G10 UKPKs, G10 Urbans, Native Vs, Sage 1s, Cats, Chicagos and similar knives to modify for friends and family. Like I said - dangerously addictive...

- My most carried category of knives is "Gentleman's Folders" - mostly because I wear a suit to work every day and can't normally carry something like a Para2 on me. So I have an solid collection of small, lightweight folders that I carry virtually every day all day - this includes several varieties of the Dragonfly, the Cat, "S", Air, Baby Goddard, Manbug, Ladybug, Squeak, Urban, Caly Jr., Walker, and similar blades.

The most important thing is to have fun!

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The golden rule is to buy what you like, and what you can afford. That's the best longterm investment, one you can look back on with pride and joy. Also, don't forget to use and sharpen these amazing knives!
I have been collecting and using spydies for almost 15 years now, and I usually EDC a spydie with a full flat grind, leaf shape blade (that leaves more than enough variety). For pure collecting purposes I find myself gravitating towards the sprint runs the past couple of years.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

phillipsted wrote: The most important thing is to have fun!
Spot on!

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Typically my knife buying falls into two categories:

* Intended - Interest peaked and in budget
* Urgency - discontinued knife, sprint, limited run

The first bracket typically favors practical knives for gifts and eccentric ones for me. The other is just senseless chaos like an episode of Pokemon. Gotta catch em all, etc. ;)
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I have a friend who has most knives Spyderco has made so I've looked at them and put the ones I desire on my wanted list and try to get those. Beside that I have a weak spot for Militarys (think I have them culled at 5 now), nested liners and liner locks.

You don't need a theme, just buy what you like and "need".
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I apparently use Spydiewiki as a shopping list. I am very guilty of needing to have as many variants of a model as I can get my hands on (sprints, exclusives included). All this I do at the very precipice of divorce! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Mr Blonde wrote:The golden rule is to buy what you like, and what you can afford.
That is exactly my route in collecting Spydies.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I apparently use Spydiewiki as a shopping list.
Yep, it is tempting to study in Spydiewiki ... Image
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

So far my hand just has impulses that buy knives randomly. At first there was some logic but that went out the door.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

After my first 2 Spydies bought in the late 80's, I was oblivious to new models for a couple of decades, then a friend mentioned some feature to me, and some web research brought me here, but initially I didn't have much money to allocate for knives, figured I'd just get one (yeah right! :) )

After realizing there were some models I *really* wished I'd have bought when I first saw them, instead of waiting until after they were discontinued and cost 2x as much on the secondary market, I started paying more attention to new model announcements, and sometimes bought 2 of a model I anticipated being very popular, telling myself it was an investment, and that I could sell it later to help fund future purchases.

But I could never bring myself to actually sell any of my purchases :) . If I'm just buying as an investment, I'd be better off just putting that money into my 401K retirement. So I buy what appeals to me ( I have found I like G10, I *really* like CF, and am beginning to be real fond of titanium :D ). I'm single, my kids are now adults on their own, and I don't spend any money on alcohol or women, so if I really like a knife I buy it, but I make sure I pay off the whole credit card bill each month to avoid paying interest.

I use all of my knives, even my fluted Ti Military's, but try not to abuse them, and don't put keys in the same pocket as Ti so it doesn't get scratched. And with over 200 Spydies now, it takes me awhile to get around to getting all of them in the rotation, especially since some favorites keep jumping back in :) .

My duplicates are just pre-need replacements in case they aren't available anymore when I lose/damage one. I don't think I have more than 3 of any one exact flavor - but probably around a dozen Military models all together.

Seeing all of the other Spyderco-addicts on here makes it easier to justify my purchases, just look at The Deacon's collection! :D
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
A-Ro

Post by A-Ro »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:I apparently use Spydiewiki as a shopping list. I am very guilty of needing to have as many variants of a model as I can get my hands on (sprints, exclusives included). All this I do at the very precipice of divorce! ;)
There's a Spydiewiki?!?!....Holy frijoles!!! (this is bad...very bad...) :p
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

My experience with Spyderco started 11 years ago but the serious collecting hit me around 6 years ago.

First I had a bunch of Spydies I loved and over the years I developped a taste for certain models and finishes. I can't resist classic pieces, CF and Ti Spydies and the more tactical and bizare blades.
Mr Blonde wrote:The golden rule is to buy what you like, and what you can afford.
This says it all...
phillipsted wrote:. I'm trying to build a complete set of all variations of the 5 models and still have a couple to go. (Thanks, Nicolas!)
Thx Ted!! I'm glad I was able to help a fellow collector! I hope its home soon :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I pretty much just buy what interests me. If there is any focus it would be Ed Schempp, Colabs and Ethnics. Other than those, my only criteria is, does it have a Spydie hole? ;)
:spyder:
Dan
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I'm pretty much about buying a "primary" folder that sees the majority of pocket time. I then have a few dollars that goes to buying something else to try out/scratch the knife-buying itch. I don't currently collect anymore, as I'm into so many other activities that I don't want to have too much cash tied up in gear that doesn't get used.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

This thread mislead me :(

I have a running list that never seems to get any smaller. Unfortunately, my bank account balance does.
:spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Sharktooth wrote:This thread mislead me :(

I have a running list that never seems to get any smaller. Unfortunately, my bank account balance does.
Sorry if you were expecting pictures of "babes" :p -- also this terminology is sort of sexist and old fashioned.
I should have reworded that. (I usually post when I'm toked up on coffee and everything I think of seems very clever and interesting at the time :D )

I was just thinking of all the hundreds of kinds of spydies available making me feel like I just woke up in toyland or candyland and didn't know what to grab next, and I thought it would be interesting to see everybody's approach.

I know that some of the most prolific collectors have already made it abundantly clear how they collect :)

Anyway I think everybody's responses are very interesting and informative :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.