Neat idea

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Trevitrace

Neat idea

Post by Trevitrace »

Hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this, but came across it and thought, "huh, that's interesting."

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... conversion
Holland

Post by Holland »

Pretty cool idea. But the compression lock in my favourite part about the para, so this doesn't do much for me
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
grewich

Post by grewich »

Wow he does good work.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I agree with Spencer, but boy that certainly did pique my interest! Definitely more on the unique end of things, you wouldn't likely ever come across someone else with one...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Donut

Post by Donut »

Sheesh, $300 sounds somewhat extreme.

It's pretty interesting.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

$300 doesn't seem too bad, considering the work that went into it, and the price of a base ti Millie.
:bug-red-white
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Interesting...looks like good work though. I'm 10000000 times more a Millie fan than a P2 fan, so it does nothing for me. But I think that for people that aren't a comp lock fan, or reallllly want a Ti P2...it's a nice piece of work.
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Way back before I ever handled a compression lock, I was real skeptical of its performance and toyed with the idea of shortening the handle and blade of a Military down a bit. I never got around to trying it because I bought a Paramilitary instead and fell in love with the compression lock.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Cool work, but I love the compression lock. There are a bajillion frame lock knives out there. I like frame lock too but the compression lock is probably my #1 favorite lock. It feels much more solid than an axis lock to me and has the same benefits for quick opening and one-hand closing. Only downside is that it's not ambidextrous like the axis, but I'm right handed so it's all good.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that the compression lock is ok...though I feel it is in it's infancy and needs refining a lot more.

But IMO, it is the slowest lock to disengage. For me as a lefty anyway...I can use pretty much every frame lock, mid lock and liner lock faster.
On the hunt for...
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I've considered doing it to a Military, but I've settled on pestering Sal for a Linerlock Stretch or Para :D
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

He did a nice job with the shaping of the blade and scales. With a quick glance, I might not have noticed that it wasn't a true Para.... (well... maybe...)

Count me in as a compression lock fan. I like having my fingers out of the way when the blade comes down. :cool:

TedP
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have a Sage2, a Southard, and a Techno and they pretty much tell me I prefer lockbacks and especially compression locks to framelocks. Impressive work, though.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dialex

Post by dialex »

Very neat work. But as my forespeakers mentioned, the compression lock is one of the Paramillie's attractions. Now if there was an integral complock cut out into those titanium scales... :cool:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.