Endura screw problem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kweb

Endura screw problem

Post by Kweb »

I recently bought a Endura 4 FFG and when it arrived it had a fair bit of up and down play, I was able to fit the problem by tightening all of the T-6 screws and didn't need to adjust the pivot. Every once in a while i would have to retighten the screw on the lock bar and last tight I totally striped the screw. How can I get this screw out to replace it with one of my spares???
My :spyder:'s : Sage 1, Native 4, Cricket, Dragonfly 2, Tenacious, Persistence Blue, Jason Breeden Rescue, Cat, Delica 4 Grey FFG, Renegade, CF Dodo, Orange Endura 4 FFG, Lum Chinese Folder
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I don't know how the screw was stripped?? The head where the torx fits or the threads?? Regardless it doesn't seem right you had to tighten screws to eliminate vertical play :eek:

Here's a model I made of a Delica which should clearly illustrate how a backlock works:
Attachments
test trans.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Kweb

Post by Kweb »

I'm familiar with the back lock as I taken the Delica apart before but thats just how it happened. The head stripped but from what I can tell the treads are fine.
My :spyder:'s : Sage 1, Native 4, Cricket, Dragonfly 2, Tenacious, Persistence Blue, Jason Breeden Rescue, Cat, Delica 4 Grey FFG, Renegade, CF Dodo, Orange Endura 4 FFG, Lum Chinese Folder
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

To get the screw out some needle nose vise grips might work, even a small non needle nose vice grip might do it. Is the screw countersunk or bored into the scale?? If it is this could get interesting ;)

Also are you using the correct torx driver? A lot of folks seem to think an allen key will be ok, that's a recipe for stripped screw heads.
Charlie

Kweb

Post by Kweb »

Im using a benchmade blue box and the screw has lost all the treads inside the head and is still below the lip of the scale.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Try putting a layer or two of plastic bag material over the screw, then inserting the driver. Might make for a tight enough fit to get the screw out. If not, and if you have a T-6 Torx driver you're willing to sacrifice, you could try super gluing it to the screw head.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The Deacon wrote:Try putting a layer or two of plastic bag material over the screw, then inserting the driver. Might make for a tight enough fit to get the screw out. If not, and if you have a T-6 Torx driver you're willing to sacrifice, you could try super gluing it to the screw head.
Excellent ideas with the super glue and plastic bag material :) Let us know kweb.

I was thinking getting an "anvil" and possibly forging a new place for a driver to grip :) Other than that it would be drill press and a very small drill :eek:
Charlie

Invective

Post by Invective »

I've gotten stripped screws out by dremeling a slot into it and then using a flathead to unscrew it. Not sure how it'll work on the endura but it is a good last resort
Noah

Post by Noah »

I've also used the "dremel to make a flathead" before. Worked fine for me. An Endura's screws are pretty well sunk in though...
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

You could take a slightly larger torx bit and hammer it gently into the screw head, it should wedge in enough to wind it out.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

You could take a slightly larger torx bit and hammer it gently into the screw head, it should wedge in enough to wind it out. You might have to sacrifice a cheap bit and even grind it down slightly.