Who else loves a hollow grind??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Who else loves a hollow grind??

Post by dbcad »

I don't know for sure why this grind is attractive for me? Maybe because it's traditional? I have 2 turn of the century razors both of which have an extremely aggressive HG.

I believe though that a good HG gives a nice head start to "thin behind the edge"

Who else likes a hollow ground blade?? Why do you like it?? :)
Attachments
hg1.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Kweb

Post by Kweb »

The grinds on the Breeden are some of the best I've ever seen.
My :spyder:'s : Sage 1, Native 4, Cricket, Dragonfly 2, Tenacious, Persistence Blue, Jason Breeden Rescue, Cat, Delica 4 Grey FFG, Renegade, CF Dodo, Orange Endura 4 FFG, Lum Chinese Folder
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Had to zoom in a bit ;)
Attachments
hg3.jpg
Charlie

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I love the lines and thicker average tip :) . Depends on the knife tho.
spyder_happy

Post by spyder_happy »

The hollow grind on my H1 dragonfly is fantastic. That little thing cuts well above it's weight
The list goes on...
DF2: salt se, hap 40, vg-10
Delica 4: ffg vg-10, saber CE VG-10
Endura 4: Hap 40, Super Blue, VG-10
Native 5: S35vn/g10, S110v
Manix Lwt: XHP
Pac salt, Tasman, PM2 S30v, Domino XHP,
Stretch frn ZDP-189
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

I learned the hard way about hollow grinds on a trip to Finland. This was some years of experience making blades too. I could not keep up in a carving contest at a bar we were visiting. It could have been my lack of experience as a wood carver, too much of the local alcohol and previous love for flat ground blades or all at once. But I learned some good lessons. There is nothing like a good object lesson to drive home a point. I have favored hollow ground or Scandi ground blades ever since.

There are flat ground razors, or near flat ground, called wedges. Some folks really enjoy the shaves they get from those blades, but there is a lot more work honing them to use every day. Most razors are hollow ground to ease the barber's work keeping them shaving sharp. That is a whole different world than what is required of knife edges.
Invective

Post by Invective »

My two favorite knives, the captain and the yojimbo2 have aggressive hollow grinds and I love them. They just work on those knives. However there are some they don't, namely the manix2. It's the main reason I traded mine after a few weeks, it just didn't work for me.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Invective wrote:My two favorite knives, the captain and the yojimbo2 have aggressive hollow grinds and I love them. They just work on those knives. However there are some they don't, namely the manix2. It's the main reason I traded mine after a few weeks, it just didn't work for me.
agreed completely :) How about an hg Delica :eek:
Attachments
delica hg3.JPG
Charlie

senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

The Gayle Bradley has one of the loveliest blades in the spyderco catalog.
Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Thx Dcad ! I so agree ! I am so wore out ffg on Spydie blades . Enuff ! What is wrong with a little variation or is it pocket book ? REGARDS mg2
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not my first choice, but if high enough and the grind is done on a large enough wheel they can be great. Unfortunately not many knife companies do hollow grind this way. I'm not a big fan of the "saber hollow grind".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

senorsquare wrote:The Gayle Bradley has one of the loveliest blades in the spyderco catalog.
Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr
+1 100% The GB has an absolutely gorgeous HHG :D

David, the virtual Delica is endlessly tweakable with little effort :) Hpw much higher would the grind have to go?? :)
Charlie

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dbcad wrote: David, the virtual Delica is endlessly tweakable with little effort :) Hpw much higher would the grind have to go?? :)
To the spine :D

Hollow grinds are their own worst enemy. The good thing about a hollow is that it's thinner behind the edge, but the thinner you make it, the more of a wedge you create with the rest of the blade, and so the more of a door stop you create when slicing deep/rigid material. To combat that, you have to make the height of the grind as high as possible to spread out the transition of the grind, which can be difficult on a blade like the Delica. You really need a blade shape with more of a straight/horizontal spine like the GB.
~David
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

I'm a needen a Breeden.
O.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I like a good hollow grind. I do like the Breeden. Missed the boat on the Captain though. :(
:bug-red-white
paladin

Post by paladin »

Evil D wrote:Not my first choice, but if high enough and the grind is done on a large enough wheel they can be great. Unfortunately not many knife companies do hollow grind this way. I'm not a big fan of the "saber hollow grind".
+1

Spine tends to "hang" when slicing semi-rigid material (read cardboard) with hollow grind. High hollows, like David references here, are kissin kousins to flat grind...that's what makes it desirable also for me. Traditional hollow grind does have a timeless, classic Gregory Peck-like quality in the looks category. And I can see a big benefit for hollow grind for woodcraft when you split kindling and such, BUT for everyday (sub)urban carry, I'll reach for a member the Caly-Clan every time! :D
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

paladin wrote:+1

Spine tends to "hang" when slicing semi-rigid material (read cardboard) with hollow grind. High hollows, like David references here, are kissin kousins to flat grind...that's what makes it desirable for me. Traditional hollow grind does have a timeless, classic Gregory Peck-like quality in the looks category. And I can see a big benefit for hollow grind for woodcraft when you split kindling and such, but for everyday (sub)urban carry, I'll reach for a member the Caly-Clan every time! :D
The fact that wood splitting mauls are shaped in a hollow grind is proof enough of the wedging properties of the grind.
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

The Hollow Grind scares me because it makes me think of the blade breaking. Can a hollow grind be break resistant? I guess a wood splitting maul won't easilly break?

I like the saber grind and the scandi grind best.

SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Is the Pacific Salt Hollow Grind or Saber grind?

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'm a huge fan of a good high hollow grind. In fact that is my favorite grind. I like 'em ground right to the spine...reduces the wedge effect some, and still gives you a nice thin,strong and well supported edge...

The GB is one of the best...
On the hunt for...