Did you see the "blade falure" post?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Did you see the "blade falure" post?

Post by gull wing »

It's not pretty. Never had that happen?????
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -with-pics
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I was just reading the threads as well. Is it confirmed from the OP that the knife is genuine and purchased from a reputable dealer?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That's terrifying. I have looked at some internal pics of this knife and thought to myself the stop pin cutout does remove quite a bit of steel. I like to think Spyderco did strength tests and this is an isolated freak incident. This knife is otherwise far too beefy and far too expensive to not be able to handle even hard whittling.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:That's terrifying. I have looked at some internal pics of this knife and thought to myself the stop pin cutout does remove quite a bit of steel. I like to think Spyderco did strength tests and this is an isolated freak incident. This knife is otherwise far too beefy and far too expensive to not be able to handle even hard whittling.
My initial thought (which I kept to myself on BF) was that a fake with a poor heat treatment could endure stress fractures from repeated flipping and then fail when a load is applied and it occurs laterally (as it can when whittling). This is why I wanted to know if anyone had information about it's authenticity.
*Landon*
A-Ro

Post by A-Ro »

The OP of the original thread said he got it from a reputable dealer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, I just bought one and I plan to use the crap out of it, and I don't plan to be gentile so we'll see. Yard work and general outdoor use will be the norm so if hard whittling and carving of knots is more than it can handle, we'll see if it happens again. It makes me wonder if many of the people buying this knife are using them hard or going easy because of the high price. For me, I have to use the crap out of something this expensive to justify the price.
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:Well, I just bought one and I plan to use the crap out of it, and I don't plan to be gentile so we'll see. Yard work and general outdoor use will be the norm so if hard whittling and carving of knots is more than it can handle, we'll see if it happens again. It makes me wonder if many of the people buying this knife are using them hard or going easy because of the high price. For me, I have to use the crap out of something this expensive to justify the price.
I completely agree. I have not used mine yet, but do plan to when I carry it more. I know for a fact that travis has used the devil out of his and if it has held up to his use I would call it tough!
*Landon*
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I hate to sound like "Mr. Obvious" but this guy needs to get the knife to Spyderco for warranty purposes, and for Spyderco to examine the cause of the failure.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

mikerestivo wrote:I hate to sound like "Mr. Obvious" but this guy needs to get the knife to Spyderco for warranty purposes, and for Spyderco to examine the cause of the failure.
This is why I was asking if it was real. They will take care of him.
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mikerestivo wrote:I hate to sound like "Mr. Obvious" but this guy needs to get the knife to Spyderco for warranty purposes, and for Spyderco to examine the cause of the failure.
What really brings me down is cases like this when they never do that and we're left hanging.

Honestly it makes me wanna go out in my back yard right now and cut down a tree with mine just to see what happens, just so that if it does break I can send it in for evaluation. This knife has been out for about a year now, I would think that more than one person has pushed theirs hard, and if this was a design problem, it would have reared its head much sooner than this.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:This is why I was asking if it was real. They will take care of him.
And if it's not real, I'm sure that will come out too. It sucks that we're at the mercy of whatever info the OP provides, as I don't think Spyderco would share this info unless there was a recall or something of that nature.
~David
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

That break looks to me like it may have been induced by some kind of high lateral stress. Like they got it stuck in a block of wood and yanked it sideways or something.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Evil D wrote:What really brings me down is cases like this when they never do that and we're left hanging.

Honestly it makes me wanna go out in my back yard right now and cut down a tree with mine just to see what happens, just so that if it does break I can send it in for evaluation. This knife has been out for about a year now, I would think that more than one person has pushed theirs hard, and if this was a design problem, it would have reared its head much sooner than this.
I'll be blunt (here). A lot of things like that post are fiction, posted by people who seek/need attention. When the OP doesn't send the knife in, it's a very good bet that something is not kosher. We'll see what happens in that thread.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The steel looks fairly thin in the lock area, maybe the 4mm blade will give people the wrong impression that this is a heavy duty knife.

In my head, unless it was done in one motion, the stop part of the cut out would have broken first and been a while of odd operation before the entire pivot separated from the blade. Hopefully a simple fix for this will be to turn the stop pin cutout 15-20 degrees to give us a couple more millimeters of steel support for the lock.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JNewell wrote:I'll be blunt (here). A lot of things like that post are fiction, posted by people who seek/need attention. When the OP doesn't send the knife in, it's a very good bet that something is not kosher. We'll see what happens in that thread.
Exactly. Usually when they know they're at fault, they won't follow up with it, or at the least they'll never post about what the end result was when/if Spyderco evaluates it. You can be dang sure if I break mine it's going back to Golden no matter how much use or abuse I put it through. If it's my fault I'll own up to it, I'd rather share the info and establish a hard use limit for everyone else to learn from my mistake.
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JNewell wrote:I'll be blunt (here). A lot of things like that post are fiction, posted by people who seek/need attention. When the OP doesn't send the knife in, it's a very good bet that something is not kosher. We'll see what happens in that thread.
Sal already posted his reply and publicly offered a replacement to be sent out immediately upon receipt of failed knife. No reason not to send it in, unless something is fishy.
*Landon*
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

that break occurred where the steel was 4 millimeters thick, and also right where the edge of the titanium handle meets the blade. if you put a sideways load on the handle then it seems to me that titanium scale would create a stress point at the location of the break.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:The steel looks fairly thin in the lock area, maybe the 4mm blade will give people the wrong impression that this is a heavy duty knife.

In my head, unless it was done in one motion, the stop part of the cut out would have broken first and been a while of odd operation before the entire pivot separated from the blade. Hopefully a simple fix for this will be to turn the stop pin cutout 15-20 degrees to give us a couple more millimeters of steel support for the lock.
Well, it does seem kind of asinine to make a folder with a blade this thick if it wasn't designed for relatively hard use. Otherwise they should have made it with 2.5-3mm blade stock so it at least slices better.

Or, maybe another way to look at it is, the internal stop pin is a thing of beauty from the outside, but perhaps compromises strength too much, and should be switched to a standard style stop pin for future runs (if that's not too difficult to change).
~David
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Evil D wrote:That's terrifying. I have looked at some internal pics of this knife and thought to myself the stop pin cutout does remove quite a bit of steel. I like to think Spyderco did strength tests and this is an isolated freak incident. This knife is otherwise far too beefy and far too expensive to not be able to handle even hard whittling.
One of the first things I did with mine was to go outside and do some whittling. I wouldn't classify what I did as hard whittling through, just some smaller branches to play around with it and see how the steel and grind worked with it. Worked like a champ! It will certainly be put to some harder use in the future. Nothing stupid like spine whacks or batoning with it, but if I have a nice on me when I'm outside, I will play around with whittling stuff because it's fun and relaxing.

I'm going with freak incident personally. They've been out too long and in too many hands for this to not have happened before.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Anything "can" happen. It's just statistical magic that prevents the world as we know it to be turned upside-down. That's no knock to the O.P., anything is possible. I don't expect the batch to be bad but rather a hairline fracture/grain anomaly.

As Sal said, thousands are out there and only one that has had this happen. The speed at which he personally responded said he would take care of the O.P. is the only thing that matters. It's almost as rare in this industry as the break itself. ;)

PS: Did I tell you that time a brand new Ford F350 Powerstroke Diesel bent 7 pushrods with 6 miles on the odometer? Came off the delivery truck with a strange noise and spent 3 weeks in the repair bay for a warranty engine with it's cab pulled off. Freak things even happen with $55,000 new vehicles, "freak" is the key word.