Chaparral 3 hits the shelves!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eric m.

Chaparral 3 hits the shelves!

Post by eric m. »

Just noticed an email from GPK! The new Chaparral 3 stepped titanium handles are in! :spyder: :)
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

I take it you bought one?! The Chap is my favorite Spyderco and I only have the CF version. Been meaning to get a titanium one, not sure about the 2 or the 3 yet.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Yes. I have the 1&2 and love the Chaparral model! Right up there with Sage and Native lines as far as I'm concerned! :)
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Absolutely adore the Chap 1, but the 3 is at small Sebenza pricing. Yes the stepped titanium is gorgeous & involved, but I would likely not carry it in fear of marring those pretty scales. A collector's piece for sure.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Leatherneck wrote:Absolutely adore the Chap 1, but the 3 is at small Sebenza pricing. Yes the stepped titanium is gorgeous & involved, but I would likely not carry it in fear of marring those pretty scales. A collector's piece for sure.
True, it is priced like a plain small 21, but the knife is absolutely gorgeous in photos and am sure will be even more so in hand! Much more character than plain handled Sebenza! And if it is anywhere near as slick as my new Sage 3 it is worth it to me! :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Personally waiting to see what the other dealers will have them for. KC's prices are always on the high end...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Personally waiting to see what the other dealers will have them for. KC's prices are always on the high end...
GP Knives brother! :) Yeah I agree about KC!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Howes has them up for order at a very good price too.
:bug-red-white
Holland

Post by Holland »

im very torn on this model... the chaparral is my favourite knife, but I find the chap 3 to be less aesthetically pleasing than the chap2 and its twice the price. As far as comparing it to a sebenza.. i may be a little bias, but your getting a knife with equivalent f&f (imo) and a better steel with an un-comparably better heat treat
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I really love the idea of the design, but the price tag is just hard to get around.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

Syncharmony wrote:I really love the idea of the design, but the price tag is just hard to get around.
Agree, I have to think hard on this one, I have 1 and 2, want 3, but it is a small knife for a big price tag!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I certainly admire what they are going for with the Chap 3, but my love for the 2 makes buying this one unnecessary. I'm sure it's awesome in hand, but I wouldn't get any more enjoyment out of it than I do with my 2.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm a bit reluctant to pony up for the Chaparral 3 too. It's so similar to the Chap 2, and doesn't really offer anything new to the Chaparral experience except a slightly different machined pattern. Paying well over $300 for a new Spyderco is entering new ground, especially for a small, in-house, off-shore model, with a fairly common steel and well known handle material. Almost all of the added cost pays for the machined pattern. Is the new pattern worth an extra $150 over the already very nice pattern on the Chap 2? Is it worth $300+ just to complete a Chaparral collection? I don't know yet.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I ordered mine from Howe's last week as soon as they posted them up. They were supposed to be receiving them in yesterday, but I haven't received my shipping notice yet :( . I really like my Chaparral 2, and am looking forward to comparing it to the 3.

While I was ordering mine from Howe's, I ended up ordering (another) Military they had in stock for $119, hard to pass that up :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Good grief. Waaaaaaay too much money for that thing, IMO. Dang.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

It's fair and reasonably priced for the excellent craftsmanship and premium materials.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm not going to complain about the pricing, as I believe Sal has already explained the reason in an older thread, but I will complain that I don't make enough money to buy one! :D It's a cool looking knife and I wouldn't mind having one in my collection, but at that price I can get the upcoming Kiwi4 AND Roc.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Even at the Amsterdam Meet it was announced that the Chapparral 3 was going to be very expensive, but it still looks very nice. I'm afraid I won't be strong enough to resist that amazing handle pattern.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Those are nice pics! I'm sure handling one in person would push me off the fence sooner.

I'm not saying it's overpriced. It costs what it costs. But we all have to decide if we can justify the price. A radically different steel, exotic handle material, new lock type, etc., can help with this justification. The Chap 3 just has very little justification material to work with. Unless you're a huge Escher fan...

dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I know the difficulty of this has been discussed before, but looking at the pictures of these scales, this looks like it would have been a candidate for RH and LH models to allow for an unadultered scale on the non-clip side.
I realize this is asking alot, but to me these slots are a little distracting to the awesome pattern. At this price point I would like to have the opportunity for a more custom feel.