Chaparral 3 hits the shelves!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

this_is_nascar wrote:I'm pretty sure I said FOR ME at least a couple times.
Yes, however you stated that the Sebenza is not very ergonomic as seen in the pics. Not an argument at all when talking about one's opinion.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

my 2 cents on the Sebenza...is that it does fit my hand quite well. However, I think that for a knife that is less hands on than it was years ago...the price is on the high side. If they were a little more custom and a little less production I'd be ok with the price. But as it stands I think that something in the $270-280 range would be ok (if they fixed the steel) for the small and about $325 for the large would be more...in the right range.

I won't buy one with the low hardness S35VN though...
On the hunt for...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have handled the chaparral 3 and while it is out of reach for this poor boy, it is certainly impressive. The machine work is just amazing. Very detailed and intricate pattern. Very MC Esher.
Holland

Post by Holland »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:my 2 cents on the Sebenza...is that it does fit my hand quite well. However, I think that for a knife that is less hands on than it was years ago...the price is on the high side. If they were a little more custom and a little less production I'd be ok with the price. But as it stands I think that something in the $270-280 range would be ok (if they fixed the steel) for the small and about $325 for the large would be more...in the right range.

I won't buy one with the low hardness S35VN though...
I agree 100%. Very well said
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I have a huge appreciation for the effort required to get that pattern done on the 3. Can't justify it when the 1 is so good.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Thanks for everyone's input on the CRKs, I was just curious what you all thought. With being so satisfied with the level of quality I see in every Spyderco I pick up, I don't think many other companies will get much of my money but I do like to be informed as much as possible. Certainly have picked up much from this forum!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
remnar

Post by remnar »

I own both the Chap 1 and 2 and I think the machined pattern on both the 2 and 3 is excellent. I also think that the fit is about as close to perfect as you can get. I was, however, a little disappointed when I received my Chap 2, and from the pictures of the Chap 3 it looks like the problem I have may now be exaggerated on the 3. My problem is with the bevel around the edge of the handle. I find that the flat, rather than rounded, bevel leaves a sharp edge where the bevel meets the flat patterned portion of the handle. I find the edge a little irritating sometimes depending on how I grip the knife. Now, I might just have sensitive girly hands :D , but I don't have this problem with other Ti Spydies, and this problem I find only to be minor. The bigger problem to me is that it gives the knife an unfinished look with a sharp but kinda ragged looking edge outlining the pattern. I realize these knives already take a lot of production time, but I know that if the "finish" was improved, then I would be willing to pay a little more. Am I the only one that thinks this? I hope this doesn't bring a sh*t storm down on me, because I do appreciate the design and workmanship that's there, but I also see some room for improvement. Isn't that what Spyderco is all about.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

remnar wrote:I own both the Chap 1 and 2 and I think the machined pattern on both the 2 and 3 is excellent. I also think that the fit is about as close to perfect as you can get. I was, however, a little disappointed when I received my Chap 2, and from the pictures of the Chap 3 it looks like the problem I have may now be exaggerated on the 3. My problem is with the bevel around the edge of the handle. I find that the flat, rather than rounded, bevel leaves a sharp edge where the bevel meets the flat patterned portion of the handle. I find the edge a little irritating sometimes depending on how I grip the knife. Now, I might just have sensitive girly hands :D , but I don't have this problem with other Ti Spydies, and this problem I find only to be minor. The bigger problem to me is that it gives the knife an unfinished look with a sharp but kinda ragged looking edge outlining the pattern. I realize these knives already take a lot of production time, but I know that if the "finish" was improved, then I would be willing to pay a little more. Am I the only one that thinks this? I hope this doesn't bring a sh*t storm down on me, because I do appreciate the design and workmanship that's there, but I also see some room for improvement. Isn't that what Spyderco is all about.
I had a similar reaction to the Chap 2 as well as the fluted Native, remnar. The edges were just a bit "sharp" for my taste. Great build quality and extraordinary ergonomics, but just not something I would use a lot...

TedP
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Is there anyone planning to actually "use" a Chap 3!?! If you must have a user Ti Chap, wouldn't you go for the less expensive Chap 2? Even that one for me is way too pretty to use. That's what a CF Chap 1 is for!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Is there anyone planning to actually "use" a Chap 3!?! If you must have a user Ti Chap, wouldn't you go for the less expensive Chap 2? Even that one for me is way too pretty to use. That's what a CF Chap 1 is for!
Use, yes, Abuse, no :) . Having dropped a couple of knives on the concrete in the parking lot, I do take care handling my Ti handled knives over pavement now. Fortunately the ones I dropped were G10, and don't show much damage.

But part of my enjoyment of the knife is actually having it with me, fondling it while I drive :) . I love the feel of the Ti on my Chaparral 2, and my fluted Ti Millies too. I'll do whittling and open boxes with them, but immediately clean off any sticky tape residue.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)