Favorite Black Blade?? - gift suggestions needed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FLIP4real

Favorite Black Blade?? - gift suggestions needed

Post by FLIP4real »

Hi All -

My best man is about to have a kid and he is just getting into knives. He mentioned he really liked the :spyder: thumb hole when I showed him some of mine. He also mentioned that he really digs the black blade/all black knives. I thought I would get him one as a gift.

Im pretty sure Ive looked at just about everything but I thought it would be fun to get some forum feedback.

I am partial to the Native and Manix 2 for black/black blades and own a black/black Tenacious as well as black/black Pacific Salt

Please keep in mind that MI law (in most places) doesnt allow for more than 3" blade. However, you are welcome to offer your opinions on any black blade.

Cheers

P.S. if anyone is out of their mind and wants to sell a PE all black Native I NEED to know please :) I really dig Natives.
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

****, sub 3"? I was going to say millie or para2, but that torpedos that one.

If you're trolling for inspiration, check Spyderco's opfocus catalog for black on black. (download one here: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/request.php)

Other than the Native and Delica, I'm not sure I'm aware of a sub 3" spyder with a black blade thats currently in production. The Manix, Yojimbo, Para2, Millie, Southard, Endura, Assist, Pacific Salt, etc are all over 3".

If you're willing to forgo the black blade, you might consider the Sage series. Perhaps the Sage1 or the new Sage3 in sexy sexy carbon fiber would get him to overlook the satin blade? Just a thought.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

If there's a 3" blade limit and he would like to carry the knife then he's probably looking at a black Delica - assuming he doesn't mind the combo edge. Even the black Native is still over 3".

Otherwise I would say definitely the black Manix 2, as well as the all black PM2.
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Benchmade Mini-Griptilian is a good stout knife with steel on par with VG10. It can be had with a black blade and thumb hole. Plus, you can get it in different handle colors. I have two and they are great knives. The blade is just a tad under 3 inches.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The pm2 is my favorite black on black spyderco. It's over three inches, but are you sure that matters? I'm not trying to start a huge debate about this, but where I'm from it's very hard for me to imagine a police offer coming over and asking to measure my knife blade...and then confiscating it because it's 3.4" instead of 3". I'm sure every place is different, but I would think as long as you weren't robbing Quickie Marts or waving it around like a crazy person then there would not be a problem. At least that's the assumption I always make. I'll post an update from jail if I find out otherwise! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not within your length limits but I'm very partial to the all black Para 2 and Manix 2. Both are among my most favorite knives. Otherwise the all black Native is probably what you want.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

The 3 inch rule really throws a wrench into things. I would 2nd or 3rd the black Manix 2 and Para 2 if you can go over 3 inches. The Delica is a great knife I can't really comment on it as I don't own the black version and it is coated with titanium carbonitride (rather than DLC). I have know experience with this coating, I am sure someone else here does and will chime in. I own both the Manix 2 and the Para 2 with DLC and they wear extremely well. Good luck with your search.
FLIP4real

Post by FLIP4real »

Surfingringo wrote:The pm2 is my favorite black on black spyderco. It's over three inches, but are you sure that matters? I'm not trying to start a huge debate about this, but where I'm from it's very hard for me to imagine a police offer coming over and asking to measure my knife blade...and then confiscating it because it's 3.4" instead of 3". I'm sure every place is different, but I would think as long as you weren't robbing Quickie Marts or waving it around like a crazy person then there would not be a problem. At least that's the assumption I always make. I'll post an update from jail if I find out otherwise! :D

Its not a huge deal as the law is being challenged but the only thing is that I dont want to give him a gift and if he does get popped by some d-strong officer then its taken away and hes pissed. As I mentioned, I have to take that into consideration, but I like to hear about everyones opinions regardless of the blade length. Thanks for your input
FLIP4real

Post by FLIP4real »

Evil D wrote:Not within your length limits but I'm very partial to the all black Para 2 and Manix 2. Both are among my most favorite knives. Otherwise the all black Native is probably what you want.
I actually found a nice new price on the Native so I picked one up. I will have a hard time not keeping it for myself though :D

I think for him, since a PE blade will be more desirable, it is looking like Manix 2 or PM2 will be the way to go if I stick with Spyder. The MiniGrip is a good suggestion as well, Im pretty happy with mine even though I dont carry it as much as :spyder:
FLIP4real

Post by FLIP4real »

hunterseeker5 wrote:****, sub 3"? I was going to say millie or para2, but that torpedos that one.

If you're trolling for inspiration, check Spyderco's opfocus catalog for black on black. (download one here: http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/request.php)

Other than the Native and Delica, I'm not sure I'm aware of a sub 3" spyder with a black blade thats currently in production. The Manix, Yojimbo, Para2, Millie, Southard, Endura, Assist, Pacific Salt, etc are all over 3".

If you're willing to forgo the black blade, you might consider the Sage series. Perhaps the Sage1 or the new Sage3 in sexy sexy carbon fiber would get him to overlook the satin blade? Just a thought.
Thanks for the jump to the catalog! Nice suggestion. CF could be a nice alternative too, good thought.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

FLIP4real wrote:Hi All -

My best man is about to have a kid and he is just getting into knives. He mentioned he really liked the :spyder: thumb hole when I showed him some of mine. He also mentioned that he really digs the black blade/all black knives. I thought I would get him one as a gift.

Im pretty sure Ive looked at just about everything but I thought it would be fun to get some forum feedback.

I am partial to the Native and Manix 2 for black/black blades and own a black/black Tenacious as well as black/black Pacific Salt

Please keep in mind that MI law (in most places) doesnt allow for more than 3" blade. However, you are welcome to offer your opinions on any black blade.

Cheers

P.S. if anyone is out of their mind and wants to sell a PE all black Native I NEED to know please :) I really dig Natives.
Pacific Salt is a good one, but the blade is too long. Tenacious would be my second choice.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Revival

Post by Revival »

PM2 is the black is the nicest IMO. Sub 3" I would say a blacked out Delica with combo edge.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

I agree with everyone who said the all black Manix2 and Para2. The Para2 is probably more ideal for detail work and the Manix2 if he is going to pound on the thing. :)
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

It's kind of tough to find sub 3" folders with black coated blades since a DLC coating is generally for tactical applications. Reducing the potential for glare off of a knife. And there aren't really many 3" or lower knives that would be considered for tactical use. In reality, most black coated blades are sold because it looks cool, but I'm just saying why.
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester