Manix 2 G-10 FFG first impressions and pics

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jsveiga

Manix 2 G-10 FFG first impressions and pics

Post by jsveiga »

Hello, I got the new C101G2 Manix 2 (standard size) FFG last month at the factory store. It seems there's not many out there yet, so here are some pictures and notes:

[ATTACH]23100[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]23101[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]23102[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]23103[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]23104[/ATTACH]

(continuing on another post, can only attach 5 images)
Attachments
IMG_2975.JPG
IMG_2973.JPG
IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2971.JPG
IMG_2970.JPG
jsveiga

Post by jsveiga »

[ATTACH]23105[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]23106[/ATTACH]

Saying it is beautiful is redundant, right?

I never wanted the "old" Manix 2 G-10 because I prefer FFG, and I didn't want the lightweight because I wanted S30V; I lusted for the XL instead. I had downloaded the 2014 catalog but I hadn't noticed the standard size FFG there. So when I got to the store, I thought this was the XL. And when I saw the actual XL I realized it may be too scary for my non-knife co-workers for me to EDC it (I'm afraid to trigger a no-knife policy at my workplace).

About the catalog:
1 - the picture in the 2014 catalog shows a black cage; mine is transparent (which I like)
2 - the catalog says the lines are skeletonized; mine are not

On the other hand, the catalog says it weighs 147g (5.2oz) whereas my digital scale says 139g (4.9oz).

Handle is 118.4mm (4.66in), blade is 86.3mm (3.4in).

CPM-S30V blade is 3.2mm at its maximum thickness at the base of the spine, and tapers down to ~0.83mm before the edge bevel begins.

Factory bevel seems to be 20+20 degrees (due to the limit precision of my measurements, I get from 18.2 to 20 values).

Blade came hair shaving, a few passes in the F and UF stones and some green compound stroping made it hair splitting.

Deployment was a tiny bit stiff (blade would not "drop" when lock was disengaged), but after loosing the pivot screws a bit, some WD40, then tightening them back, it is completely smooth.

Spine and deployment hole edges were quite sharp; I managed to smooth the spine a little bit with the brown triangle stone, but trying to smooth the deployment whole was creating dips in the stone, so I gave up.

The G-10 texture is quite grippier than the one in my Persistence (I don't see this as better nor worse, just different).

Best regards, and happy new year!

Joao
Attachments
IMG_2980.JPG
IMG_2976.JPG
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Very nice indeed! I'll be on the lookout for the all black one.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Looks beautiful, is it just the lighting or is the blade tumble finished?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thank you for the pictures beside the Techno. I read "tumbled finish" in the 2014 catalog and was hopeful it was similar to the Southard or Techno. I love the Manix 2 as much as the next addict and have my fair share, but don't think I will buy another based on the subtle change shown in your pics. If you get the chance, snap a few macro shots of the blade finish in natural light so we can see more detail on this tumbled finish please.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Nice pix and review. You can touch up the spydie hole with some sandpaper and a marble or ball bearing. Should take off the sharp feel.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks very much for nice pics and detailed report, Joao. It would indeed be nice if there's a significant amount of "tumbled finish," but, for me, even a dulled finish would be better than the shiny finish on the hollow ground model.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Too bad the liners aren't skeletonized, but that will save me some money so it isn't all bad ;)
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Crap. Time to get a Manix 2. I missed this update. Are all standard Manix 2 now FFG?
jsveiga

Manix 2 FFG G-10 blade finish and images

Post by jsveiga »

Hi, (I don't know why my attached images do not show inline with the text, sorry about that)

The blade looks "sort of" tumbled. It is a matte finish, but parallel machined lines can be seen if you look closely (and maybe it's just my "early" sample, but these lines aren't consistent along the blade).

These lines are very well defined and regular, unlike the machined "scratch" texture I can see on the Stretch ZDP or Persistence.

The finish can't be compared to the gorgeous Techno blade finish, which to me even looks like rough paper or cardboard.

Here's the Manix blade with a Persistence blade over it, and the same image color-enhanced to emphasize the texture. Notice how the machined lines on the Persistence are more random and evident.

[ATTACH]23112[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]23113[/ATTACH]

The same thing, with the Techno blade over the Manix blade; notice the random, cardboard-like pattern on the Techno:

[ATTACH]23115[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]23114[/ATTACH]

And a detail of how those parallel lines are more apparent on some parts of the blade than others. The previous pictures are from areas where the lines are more subtle.

[ATTACH]23116[/ATTACH]

I do love the knife, and I'm happy I could buy my first Spyderco made on USA, Earth (my others are from Japan, China, Taiwan). The blade finish is beautiful; that difference in the lines strength can only be noticed upon close inspection. Nevertheless, the finish on the Techno blade is on another level - but then the Techno is also on another price level :p

Best regards!

Joao
Attachments
manix.JPG
manix_techno.JPG
manix_techno_enhanced.JPG
manix_persistence_enhanced.JPG
manix_persistence.JPG
jsveiga

Post by jsveiga »

jtoler_9 wrote:Crap. Time to get a Manix 2. I missed this update. Are all standard Manix 2 now FFG?
I believe so; although the 2014 catalog does not label the FFG G-10 ones as "NEW" (I think they deserved the label!), the saber-ground ones are not there anymore.
jsveiga

Post by jsveiga »

shunsui wrote:Nice pix and review. You can touch up the spydie hole with some sandpaper and a marble or ball bearing. Should take off the sharp feel.
That's a good idea! I try it, thanks! My thumbnail already has wear marks from the spydie hole edges due to obsessive fondling :)
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

I really enjoyed your review and pics. A lot of good infromation here. Thanks.
jsveiga

Post by jsveiga »

xceptnl wrote:Thank you for the pictures beside the Techno. I read "tumbled finish" in the 2014 catalog and was hopeful it was similar to the Southard or Techno. I love the Manix 2 as much as the next addict and have my fair share, but don't think I will buy another based on the subtle change shown in your pics. If you get the chance, snap a few macro shots of the blade finish in natural light so we can see more detail on this tumbled finish please.
Hi xceptnl and Able Dog,
The blade does have a beautiful matte finish. To be honest, I only noticed those parallel machining lines when I was taking the macro pictures you asked for (please see them on my other post on this thread). Here is one more (I hope I could capture the "unshininess" of it), and the link for the full size image:
[ATTACH]23117[/ATTACH]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B87ESq ... sp=sharing

BR,
Joao
Attachments
matte.JPG
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't recall reading in the PDF that the liners were supposed to be skeletonized. I know a few people corrected me on it, and I never went back to look, but I feel like I would have noticed that when reading it. Still, this is how this knife was always destined to be (blade wise I mean).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Thank you for the pictures, it is a beautiful knife! Congratulations on the purchase, now I wish I had known about the 2014 model when I bought my Manix 2. Though, the lack of skeletonized liners makes me want to just wait for a Sprint to come along.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks again, for the additional information and pictures of the blade finish. I think this is about the best information we could get without actually holding one in hand :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I just noticed that the 2014 "Product Guide" (bound paper catalog), which has the new FFG Manix2 on the same page as the Light Weight Manix2, says of the former, "Full skeletonized stainless steel liners give the G-10-handled Manix2 exceptional strength and heft." but omits the word "skeletonized" from the description of the light weight model. Looks as though someone just made a typo by inserting the word "skeletonized" one paragraph above where it was intended. They would not intentionally say skeletonized liners give it heft. By the way the weight of the new FFG model is still given as 5.2 oz versus 3.0 for the Lt. Wt. Manix.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

DougC-3 wrote:I just noticed that the 2014 "Product Guide" (bound paper catalog), which has the new FFG Manix2 on the same page as the Light Weight Manix2, says of the former, "Full skeletonized stainless steel liners give the G-10-handled Manix2 exceptional strength and heft." but omits the word "skeletonized" from the description of the light weight model. Looks as though someone just made a typo by inserting the word "skeletonized" one paragraph above where it was intended.
But the lightweight has no liners at all, so what is there to skeletonise? :)

Thanks to the OP for the great pictures, this knife is now on my definitely must buy list! The ONLY reason I haven't bought a Manix 2, and why I so seriously considered the XL version, was that the Manix 2 was not FFG. Problem now solved! :D

Thank you Sal, for always working for your end line users, especially when it comes to making knives FFG!
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Anyone notice a price increase yet? For years the argument was that FFG would require more machine work and increase the price and so people were against it and said it would push the price closer to the Para 1/2 and compete with it for sales. Personally I think I would pay a few bucks more for FFG if it came down to it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David