Thank You! Sharpening Success

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike9x19

Thank You! Sharpening Success

Post by Mike9x19 »

I have been lurking on this site for the last few months. I own a collection of 5 Spydercos and a bunch of knives from other makers. I purchased a Sharpmaker a few months ago, and was struggling to get good results with it. I read MANY threads on here about sharpening and today I finally achieved some very sharp edges. The tip on tilting your wrist to maintain a consistent angle through the belly of the blade proved especially helpful. This afternoon I sharpened every knife in my collection as well as most of my kitchen knives. I seemed to get better with each knife. I am truly amazed at how sharp I can get my edges with the Sharpmaker. They are better than the edges from the factory! I was never able to achieve that with my Smith's system.

I just wanted to extend a thank you to this community. I have learned a tremendous amount from reading the information posted here.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Welcome to the forum!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to our forum.

Glad you have achieved success.

sal
Mike9x19

Post by Mike9x19 »

Thank you Sal. I truly appreciate the quality products you provide. This online community is also something truly unique. There are so many helpful and knowledgable individuals here.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Mike9x19 wrote:I am truly amazed at how sharp I can get my edges with the Sharpmaker. They are better than the edges from the factory!
I had a similar experience with the sharpmaker system and was similarly amazed. Mind you in the videos Sal does promise that this is what you will be able to achieve ;)

Welcome to the forum!
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

After seeing the edges some of you guys are putting on your edges I finally broke down and ordered my Sharpmaker! It came yesterday, but I've yet to try it out! Mostly a freehand sharpener, but I do like the Idea of a little more precision and accuracy. I'm looking for a very sharp knife in as little time as possible, and from what I've read so far on this forum the Sharpmaker is the way to go! :spyder:
Leon

Post by Leon »

Funny, I just ordered me a sharpmaker today!..got the UF stones as well :D
mikefromsac

Post by mikefromsac »

Leon wrote:Funny, I just ordered me a sharpmaker today!..got the UF stones as well :D
Me too. I'm just not getting the edges I want freehand. I'm going to continue to learn freehand on practice knives, but use the Sharpmaker on my Spydercos until I get better.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

That's great you're getting good results. I have yet to master the Sharpmaker myself. I need to just buckle down and patiently learn to do it right. But so far, I just don't enjoy the process of sharpening at all. :(
:bug-red-white
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Congrats and welcome Mike9x19 :D The feeling of achieving sharp is quite exhilirating, but can lead to borderline insanity ;) :eek:

Take heart gbelleh. You know it's just making angles meet in the middle. The tricky thing is making those angles meet with precision.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Donut

Post by Donut »

Congrats. I think I figured that out only by being obsessed with the width of the bevel.

Creating a very sharp edge gives me a really good feeling.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
pc87

Post by pc87 »

SM is a wonderful system for keeping knives sharp.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Congrats on the handiwork!! :)
Holland

Post by Holland »

welcome to the forums! congrats on the sharpening success! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Mike9x19

Post by Mike9x19 »

Thank you for all the kind words. I can see this is an excellent community.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Mike9x19 wrote: I purchased a Sharpmaker a few months ago, and was struggling to get good results with it. I read MANY threads on here about sharpening and today I finally achieved some very sharp edges.
I doubt if you could count the number of people who have learned to sharpen from people here. I know they have helped me a tremendous amount. My improvement in lots of things is like you described. Practice practice practice and not seeming to get anywhere then BAM, suddenly there is a huge increase in performance. It was like that with me learning guitar. I practiced night an day for almost two weeks then BAM, all of a sudden I was the best guitarist in the world. :rolleyes: :)

Congratulations on your improvement. As you get better your goal of how sharp you want to get your knives may get sharper, I want sharper. :) It's like a contagous disease. And the germs spread through this forum I think. :D

Jack
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey mike, I have great success with the sharpmaker. A couple of months ago, I went ahead and added the spyderco diamond rods. Man, I HIGHLY recommend these! I used to reprofile freehand, but I find I can get a much more precise 30 degree primary bevel with these and then I put a very tiny micro bevel at 40. The end result of the more precise bevel is my edges are at a completely different level of sharpness! And contrary to the opinion of some users, I have no trouble reprofiling with these. It may take 10-15 minutes, but they work just fine IMO. They are well worth the money!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jackknifeh wrote:I doubt if you could count the number of people who have learned to sharpen from people here. I know they have helped me a tremendous amount. My improvement in lots of things is like you described. Practice practice practice and not seeming to get anywhere then BAM, suddenly there is a huge increase in performance. It was like that with me learning guitar. I practiced night an day for almost two weeks then BAM, all of a sudden I was the best guitarist in the world. :rolleyes: :)

Jack
Two weeks??! Pfft..only took me ten days. ;) .
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Surfingringo wrote:Two weeks??! Pfft..only took me ten days. ;) .

I've always envied guys like you. You can lie as good as me PLUS FOUR DAYS! :D
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Just an update on my Sharpmaker purchase! I just threw out my 20+ year old Lansky sharpening kit! Never a fan of clamping the blade, or the flimsy rods! The Sharpmaker system is awesome and quick at putting a really sharp working edge on my Delica4, Domino, and Southard so far! The video is really helpful! I may get the Diamond stones for reprofiling some old knives, and the ultra fine stone for polishing! Great product! :)