Spyderco Sage1 ~ C123CF vs Spyderco Chaparral ~ C152CF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

I'm a little bit biased but for me sage 1 and native 5 are the two best and most useful blades that spyderco makes. Period. Chaparral is nice but too small for my hands/tastes. Sage 1 classy and elegant but also large enough to do real work if needed yet can be cleaned up and used on a good steak. My opinionated 2cents.
remnar

Post by remnar »

eric m. wrote:Yeah Remnar, you're in the same boat as me! At least 2 more Sages coming, Sage3 CF, and Sage5! ;)
I know, I know, the new Sage 3 is now available, but I think I'll wait on that one. I am very interested to see what is in store for the Sage 5. :spyder:
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

I vote Chaparral. It's so sleek and an amazing slicer. I removed the clip on mine and it's perfect for EDC. Although the Sage is very classy looking, it's still kinda large for a dress knife IMO.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Between the 2 mentioned I would definitely go with the Sage especially since the Sage is even cheaper. Like others have mentioned, the Native 5 or Caly 3/3.5 will also meet your needs. They are all great knives.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have discovered that if you distinguish between largish knives and smallish ones, and see each size performing some things better than the other, the matter of whether large OR small becomes which large AND small. Lessens the angst of making the right choice... I have both the Sage1 and original Chap and would carry both if I did not prefer other combinations.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

wheelin wrote:Damned! So convincing. Now I need to get over with "I would prefer to buy only one and not the other.", and buy both the sage and Chaparral. To **** with redundancy. :p
Think about this way. You mentioned you have a Dragonfly and a Delica and are picking up a Caly 3.5. The Chaparral blade length/cutting edge fits right between the Dragonfly and the Delica if I'm not mistaken. If you go with a Sage you already have that blade length covered by the Delica. A Chaparral would fit in right nicely with your collection. I'm trying to convince you wheelin on the Chaparral. There are many variants of the Sage and another one yet to come this year. If you're like me you won't want the Sage 1 due to redundancy with the Chaparral.

I actually scored a mint condition Sage 2 yesterday for a crazy good price. I wasn't in the market, actually wanted a Techno, but I have always wondered how the Sage 2 would compare with my small Sebenza and the price was right. I know folks who actually sold their sebenza after getting the Sage 2 and liking it that much. I don't expect that for me but we will see. Maybe I'll make a comparison thread between the two next week. Should be here Monday.

Buy the Chaparral, and don't look back. You won't regret it wheelin!
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Leon

Post by Leon »

I've also been trying to pick between sage 1 and chaparral
I prefer the chaparral's size; if it had a liner lock, I'd definitely pick that .. easier to close one-handed
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Leon wrote:I've also been trying to pick between sage 1 and chaparral
I prefer the chaparral's size; if it had a liner lock, I'd definitely pick that .. easier to close one-handed

I just got a Chaparral and like it. I want a Sage-1 because of the liner lock.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Leon

Post by Leon »

Ordered the sage 1 just now :D
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Nice.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Leon wrote:Ordered the sage 1 just now :D
AH, another Sage lover! Congratulations!!! :)
Leon

Post by Leon »

Excited..can't wait to get it in the mail
Next on the list: PM2!!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Leon wrote:I've also been trying to pick between sage 1 and chaparral
I prefer a back lock to close one handed because I find liner locks a little awkward when I'm holding the knife in my left hand (I'm right handed, but highly ambidextrous). Just put your index finger right behind the choil and flip the blade closed...the choil will stop it right at your finger safely, and then it's a simple twist of the knife and a poke of your index finger into the spine and it'll flip closed. Of all my backlock Spydercos, the Caly 3.5 leaves the smallest amount of tang to stop if, and I stop the blade at the rear end of the choil instead of immediately behind it as a result. I personally find backlocks easier to operate left handed than liner locks, and as easy right handed so it's my personal preference. I prefer it to the compression lock on my PM2, though I employ the same trick of flicking the blade half closed stopping at my finger behind the choil.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

The Sage 2 is the best value-for-money EDC knife Spyderco makes. It's simply superb.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Received my Sage 1 in the mail today
so excited :D
Feels soo good in hand!
Everything about it seems just perfect
Next to arrive: my all black paramilitary 2
I'm curious to find out which one will end up being the favorite spyderco I own
jlomein

Post by jlomein »

I love my CF Chaparral for a slick EDC, but I have used it as a steak knife and it's less than ideal. Holding the handle horizontally, you will notice the blade is on a downward angle. Along with the leaf shaped blade, this makes the tip very low and exposes little belly when slicing forward and down against a dinner plate. I found myself constantly hitting the plate tip first, or getting the tip hung up in the steak.

Most leaf shaped Spydercos likely have the same issue. They will work ok for slicing on a plate, but you would be better served by a real steak knife, or a folder with a higher tip and more pronounced belly. Still love my Chaparral.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

jlomein wrote:I love my CF Chaparral for a slick EDC, but I have used it as a steak knife and it's less than ideal. Holding the handle horizontally, you will notice the blade is on a downward angle. Along with the leaf shaped blade, this makes the tip very low and exposes little belly when slicing forward and down against a dinner plate. I found myself constantly hitting the plate tip first, or getting the tip hung up in the steak.

Most leaf shaped Spydercos likely have the same issue. They will work ok for slicing on a plate, but you would be better served by a real steak knife, or a folder with a higher tip and more pronounced belly. Still love my Chaparral.

Interesting. I haven't needed to use my new Chaparral in this manner as of yet. I'll have to try it.