Mini Grip Comparison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The mini grip is the last BM knife I still use.

I think the Spydie that will take it's place will be the Sage version with the CBBL. I can't wait for that one. :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Maybe a Manix 2 would be a good substitute if you favor a stronger/heavier knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Mini Grip has a great lock.
The Mini Grip's handle is about 1/4" short for my hand and I have a small hand. Had two, gave them away.
Almost any Spyderco would be better.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

gull wing wrote:The Mini Grip has a great lock.
The Mini Grip's handle is about 1/4" short for my hand and I have a small hand. Had two, gave them away.
Almost any Spyderco would be better.
Yes, the short handle limits the utility for me, too. Large hands here. However, the lock and blade are awesome, so I'm keeping mine.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Delica saber grind.
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

Okay guys, let's up the ante a bit. I've ordered a brown Delica 4 and a Salt 1. Now I'm going for one more. $200 or less. Basically the same size (within reason, I just dont like large knives). My main objective with this one is QUALITY of build and materials, pride of ownership and usefulness. I'm looking at this be a carry knife for when I'm not concerned that I'll lose it or damage it. Not a beater, but definitely not a safe queen either. I've given serious looks at the Caly 3, Chapparal and Sage series, but I'm open to discussion and opinions. But again, nothing overly large or heavy. Please tell me about your experiences.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

gpo1956 wrote:Okay guys, let's up the ante a bit. I've ordered a brown Delica 4 and a Salt 1. Now I'm going for one more. $200 or less. Basically the same size (within reason, I just dont like large knives). My main objective with this one is QUALITY of build and materials, pride of ownership and usefulness. I'm looking at this be a carry knife for when I'm not concerned that I'll lose it or damage it. Not a beater, but definitely not a safe queen either. I've given serious looks at the Caly 3, Chapparal and Sage series, but I'm open to discussion and opinions. But again, nothing overly large or heavy. Please tell me about your experiences.
Caly 3.5. Use the search function and you will be rewarded with tons of reviews and comments heralding this EDC perfection
Leon

Post by Leon »

Chaparral, tiny bit smaller with a backlock or
Sage 1, a bit bigger with a liner lock

or the new sage 3 with CF!!
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

gpo1956 wrote:Okay guys, let's up the ante a bit. I've ordered a brown Delica 4 and a Salt 1. Now I'm going for one more. $200 or less. Basically the same size (within reason, I just dont like large knives). My main objective with this one is QUALITY of build and materials, pride of ownership and usefulness. I'm looking at this be a carry knife for when I'm not concerned that I'll lose it or damage it. Not a beater, but definitely not a safe queen either. I've given serious looks at the Caly 3, Chapparal and Sage series, but I'm open to discussion and opinions. But again, nothing overly large or heavy. Please tell me about your experiences.
Caly3 in carbon fiber over ZDP-189 might fit the bill for obvious quality and pride of ownership. Back locks aren't my cup of tea, but its a sublime knife regardless. If you like small though, the Techno is worth a quick glance as well, perhaps you'd say its too small.

Given your OP, the Sage3 in CF (I know its been said before) might give you the closest lock action to the minigrip and will have a pretty sexy look to it. My 2c.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

gpo1956 wrote:I've always liked the Mini Grip, but a couple of things are holding me back from buying one. Taking into consideration the Mini Grip's price (+/- $20), size, materials and any intended uses, what Spyderco would you consider a good substitute?
I was always a fan of the Full Grip prior to finding Spyderco. It took a while before I found the Manix 2 which in my opinion filled that void for me and also gave me a similar feel to the Axis I was used to. The thin nature of most all spyderco knives was the surprising part to me at first. Once in hand I didn't notice any less fullness in the palm. If I were you, I would seriously look into the older blue Sage 3 or possible the newly released Sage 3 in carbon fiber. This should certainly fill your needs, but if not the budget Manix 2 in either the discontinued 154CM or the new S30V would bring a smile to your face with every day's carry.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
GaryC

Post by GaryC »

I have the full grip, mini grip, love the ritter . No matter what knives I have I always come back to Spyderco, love the hole for ease opening & the full flat ground blades. Gary
A-Ro

Post by A-Ro »

With the ante up, get the Sage 2 Titanium...awesome EDC that's perfect in it's simplicity, and it's a very durable!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The only thing the Mini Grip has going for it is a nice lock design. The rest of those knives just aren't for me. They felt like plastic toys, even more plasticy than FRN feels. There probably isn't a knife in the Spyderco lineup I wouldn't rather have than almost any BM knife. I don't say that as an insult to BM, they just make knives in a very different style, and that style is not at all for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
earthman

Post by earthman »

Donut wrote:Maybe a Manix 2 would be a good substitute if you favor a stronger/heavier knife.
Mr Nut is very particular about knives, he gives it a big thumbs up. :)

[video=youtube;7syBncnrTL8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... syBncnrTL8[/video]

He even gives the light weight version 11 out of 10!
I don't own one of these myself, I prefer knives with steel liners, the extra weight is not an issue to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9751H0NmnC0
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

Thanks for all your help guys. I ordered the Sage 1 AND another Delica 4, this time the Dark Green with the ZDP 189 blade.I really enjoyed getting your input on all these choices. I really look forward to being opon this board in the future.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I wonder if Spyderco will utilize the Axis lock someday when the patent ends. BM did shadier things in the past... Not saying its for payback at all, just pointing out that BM can't say anything about it with their history...but the Axis is really nice IMO. Like it on my 710 and Grips.
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

may have missed it but i think the dragonfly is really close in size maybe closer than the delica
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

FCM415 wrote:I wonder if Spyderco will utilize the Axis lock someday when the patent ends. BM did shadier things in the past... Not saying its for payback at all, just pointing out that BM can't say anything about it with their history...but the Axis is really nice IMO. Like it on my 710 and Grips.
You never know but I personally doubt it. Spyderco probably has a bunch of designs in the works and some of their own gems that are being constantly tweaked, like the compression lock and CBBL. The Axis is a great design. BM has a ton of time and marketing invested in it.

It's a Chevy and pushrods vs Ford and DOHC situation, IMO. Both fine approaches, just different ones.
sal

Post by sal »

Benchmade has patents that go for some time. They have an exceptional patent attorney and he keeps coming up with ways to get more patents on the same lock. As Blerv said, Benchmade has invested a great deal in their lock in the development and promotion. They should get to keep their lock.

On our end;

1. We have refined the lock-back on our new Natives to a degree we'd hoped to achieve, solid, reliable, strong people friendly. The new light weight version will have the same lock as will other lock-backs made in Golden.

2. We are still tweaking the Walker Linerlock to always greater reliability

3. We are also working with and refining the RIL (Reeve Integral Lock) in tghe interface, form and cut-out spring section (Like the Foundry).

4. We continue to refine our Compression lock and it too gets better and better. We working on new ways to frame the lock.

5. Our Ball lock used on the D'Allara will be used on a refined D'Allara for the future. It is the most resistant to accidental unlocking and handles debris well.

6. Our Caged-Ball is still being refined and is serving a number of models very well.

7. The new Stop-lock is finally getting to a design and production slot.

8. The new Power-lock is being introduced in the Tatanka and will no doubt find othber designs.

9. The Roto Will also be find it's way into a design in the next year or two.

The Mini Grip is a good knife, as is the Axis lock, but we feel the variety of locking methods we offer provides choices and we also came up with a few new designs to offer as competition.

sal
knolan

Post by knolan »

gpo1956 wrote:Thanks for all your help guys. I ordered the Sage 1 AND another Delica 4, this time the Dark Green with the ZDP 189 blade.I really enjoyed getting your input on all these choices. I really look forward to being opon this board in the future.
Great picks! I too, like others have already stated, really like the BM mini-Grip w/it's Axis lock, but the Sage 1 is the knife that made me loose interest in carrying mine. And...if you follow the typical progression, you'll soon find yourself owning the Sage 2 as well ;) .