Mini Grip Comparison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gpo1956

Mini Grip Comparison

Post by gpo1956 »

I've always liked the Mini Grip, but a couple of things are holding me back from buying one. Taking into consideration the Mini Grip's price (+/- $20), size, materials and any intended uses, what Spyderco would you consider a good substitute?
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

Sage series or delica 4, maybe a caly 3. If you wanted the same lock, the sage 3.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey gpo, welcome! The spyderco delica is similar in size and is a great knife. I have a mini grip and much prefer the delica. It's about $20 less than the mini grip too. If you are willing to spend $100, or just a tad over, then some really awesome spydercos are available. For example, you can get the chaparral in s30v and carbon fiber for just over a hundred I think.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Hi gpo1956! Welcome to the Forum. :)

In terms of cost and size (relative to the Mini Grip), I think the FRN Delica would be a very good model to consider. There are many here on the Forum who swear by the Delica as being the "perfect EDC." The Delica's FRN (fiberglass-reinforced nylon) handle is very durable and comfortable for most user's hands. At approx. 2.5" in length, the VG-10 blade is sized appropriately for most daily cutting chores. I also like that the Delica's blade is now offered in a full flat grind (vs. the older hollow grind). The VG-10 steel is quite nice; it's easy to resharpen and holds an edge well. The Delica is also pretty lightweight at 2.3 oz. If you shop around a bit, you should be able to find a new FRN Delica in the neighborhood of $55-60. You can also get Delica's in several different colors and also with a DLC blade.

Hope this helps!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
remnar

Post by remnar »

Hello gpo,

I think that a comparable knife would be the Delica, but it would cost a few dollars less than the Griptilian. The one advantage that the Griptilian has is the height when closed. You can tuck it over a little further to one side of your pocket than the Delica. The Delica is flat however and to me feels better in hand. And what's with that funny looking thing sticking out of the side of the bade where the hole should be? :D If you want to spend just a few dollars more, then you can step up to the Sage series and get a far superior knife.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

remnar wrote:Hello gpo,

I think that a comparable knife would be the Delica, but it would cost a few dollars less than the Griptilian. The one advantage that the Griptilian has is the height when closed. You can tuck it over a little further to one side of your pocket than the Delica. The Delica is flat however and to me feels better in hand. And what's with that funny looking thing sticking out of the side of the bade where the hole should be? :D If you want to spend just a few dollars more, then you can step up to the Sage series and get a far superior knife.
Any one of the Sage or Chaparral series knives will serve you well and give you much more pride of ownership than the mini griptillian! :spyder:
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

Thanks very much for all our replies.
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

you should also consider the frn native.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gpo,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
gpo1956

Post by gpo1956 »

Thanks so much, guys!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The only mini grip I ever warmed up to is the sheep's foot with the spyder-ish hole. That knife however has too blunt of a tip for my taste, and with the shiniest of footprints, I can't support the BM thumbhole. The Delica is a great choice, and I personally like the saber D4 better than the FFG. The Stretch is a good look, and the Caly 3.5 is WORLD CLASS edc, but you are up around $125. A Manix 2 at <$90 is also a great buy but a bit bigger than you have mentioned.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! U had a mini grip and just recently sold it. The ergonomics are embarrassing compared to the caly3, chaparrals, and delica :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Many people simply love the mini-griptilian. It has full skeletonized steel liners and the blade to handle ratio is excellent. The knife is 3.87 inches closed with a 2.91 inch blade. It only weighs 2.6 ounces.
By contrast, the Sage 3 (lovely knife) has a closed length of 4.31 inches but the blade length is close to the MG at 3 inches. It weighs a hefty 3.6 ounces.

The blade of the MG is a classic, all around, do everything clip point. The sage is a broad leaf shaped slicer with a good point for piercing.

The handle of the MG is not wide from spine to finger grip, but is slightly rounded. The Sage is very wide from the spine to the finger grip, but is very flat.

The Sage 3 has much higher end steel and is the nicer looking knife, however.

The Delica is longer in the handle than the MG at 4.24 inches but the blade is nearly the same as the MG at 2.88 inches. It weighs slightly less at 2.3 ounces and is very flat. Like the MG, it has full skeletonized liners. The blade steel is on par with the MG and it, too, has a good, all around use blade shape.

Hope this helps.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

About a month ago I would also say the Delica as well, but now you can just about get 2 Delicas for the price of a Mini-Grip ($90 due to new MAP) so in that range you can a Manix 2 LW, or regular, a para 2, Sage, a ZDP-189 Delica, a Stretch, a Manix 2 XL (which is much bigger of course), I'd say for the extra $10 go with a Para 2 and get an upgraded steel, G10 handles and FFG blade. You might have to shop around and keep an eye out for one in stock, but they're showing up more and more lately.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I own a mini-grip and a delica..both awesome knives but if you're willing to spend a bit more I'd suggest going with the chaparral
It's more comparable in size to the mini-grip than the sage series
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

The mini Grip is a good knife, but I prefer the ergos of Spyderco FRN. The handle length and blade-to-handle ratio of the MG is all excellent, but I did not find the handle to have the same traction as a Spyderco bi-directional grip.

michaelm brings up a good point. When the price of the MG was almost the same as the Delica, this would be a bit more of a tough call. Now however, you can get a lot more knife for $89.99.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I have a Ritter mini-Grip, which cost me as much as two FRN Delicas cost back when I bought it. It is a very good knife, but honestly the Delica just works better in my hand with its longer handle and round hole opener. It also works better in my pocket due to its flatness.
Revival

Post by Revival »

I would say Native Lightweight or Delica. There is a great comparison with the delica vs the mini grip on youtube. A guy cuts tons of different stuff with both knives. Only thing is the vid is not in english.
earthman

Post by earthman »

The knives that I would never sell are my Doug Ritter grips, both large and small and my FFG versions of the Manix 2.

I'd say that the Manix fit's my hand slightly better, the overall shape and all that jimping in all those places makes it pretty perfect in my eyes.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Personally, I'd buy the Ritter Griptilian and some Wilkins scales

The Grip is a great knife. From what I remember of the Native 5 FFG, it is a good substitute

The Deli is very fine, but not a stand in. The issue, as with all things here being the differing profiles in the handle - griptilian is more of a paw filler