K390 Model Poll Part 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What should the K390 Sprint model be?

Techno
10
12%
Vallotton
1
1%
Domino
27
33%
Hungarian
2
2%
Bushcraft
7
8%
Puukko
3
4%
Southard
17
20%
Tuff
0
No votes
South Fork
16
19%
 
Total votes: 83

User avatar
michaelm466
Member
Posts: 506
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ

Postby michaelm466 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:16 pm

xceptnl wrote:I voted for the Southard on this poll and the GB on the other.
Same, though I'd like it even better if they did a FFG K390 Southard

bpeezer
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:11 am

Postby bpeezer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:44 am

Domino would be amazing. I'd like to see the scale side with just a titanium slab, instead of a different scale :D

User avatar
dgebler
Member
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:02 am
Location: Norfolk VA

Postby dgebler » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:40 am

One thing which has not been discussed much in either poll is the cost or msrp of the respective taichung folders. I voted for the Techno before considering this for selfish reasons (I don't have one and this way I could get both a new knife design and a great steel). After thinking more about this and seeing the results, I wanted to ask if any of you are considering the starting MSRP for these knives. For example, I would love to see this in a Southard or even Domino, but the MSRP for the standard production models is pretty high compared to say the Sage 1. Actually most of the Taichung spyderco's are the higher end knives and do carry a higher MSRP. I know this will be coveted regardless, but since sprints typically carry a higher markup to start with, do you think a cheaper starting point would make this a more feasible purchase for more afi's. Personally, I love the steel and use my MT17 a ton, but I would have a hard time shelling out $300+ which I could see this sprint going for if it does come in the form of one of the more expensive knives to start with. So...If I had to vote again, I would go with the Sage 1. Any thoughts about this part of the equation?

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22196
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Postby Evil D » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:49 am

The problem with preferences is that people will vote for the knife they like the best, which is not necessarily the knife that this particular steel would be the best used on. It's to be expected though.

In the end, I think I agree with the other guys, just wait for 2015 and get it in a Military. There's plenty of hot knives coming out this year to hold us over.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

Ferris Wheels
Member
Posts: 750
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:06 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Postby Ferris Wheels » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:26 pm

dgebler wrote:One thing which has not been discussed much in either poll is the cost or msrp of the respective taichung folders. I voted for the Techno before considering this for selfish reasons (I don't have one and this way I could get both a new knife design and a great steel). After thinking more about this and seeing the results, I wanted to ask if any of you are considering the starting MSRP for these knives. For example, I would love to see this in a Southard or even Domino, but the MSRP for the standard production models is pretty high compared to say the Sage 1. Actually most of the Taichung spyderco's are the higher end knives and do carry a higher MSRP. I know this will be coveted regardless, but since sprints typically carry a higher markup to start with, do you think a cheaper starting point would make this a more feasible purchase for more afi's. Personally, I love the steel and use my MT17 a ton, but I would have a hard time shelling out $300+ which I could see this sprint going for if it does come in the form of one of the more expensive knives to start with. So...If I had to vote again, I would go with the Sage 1. Any thoughts about this part of the equation?
This is an excellent point. K390 will have two things going against it, non-stainless and premium price. I know there are a lot of people in the knife community who will not consider a non-stainless blade steel which I understand completely. Couple that with those of us who are willing and able to fork out $150?$200?$200+? for a knife as some of these Taichung models will surely cost and we may be setting this model up for limited success. I personally would rather wait and see K390 done in either a PM2 or Military due to the ability to bring it to the market at a real world price of $150 - $160.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10

User avatar
hunterseeker5
Member
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Usually somewhere on the east coast

Postby hunterseeker5 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:51 pm

To be perfectly frank, I'm having a hard time imagining a better option than the Sage series for this. Its not a particularly titillating model, as its effectively a lock mule, but in so many ways its really the platonic form of a spyder. Its thin, slim, light, efficient, and beautiful. They're also quite reasonably priced. We could duke it out over lock mech, but really (aside from back lock) is there a member of the sage series which has a mech so polarizing it'd really turn someone off?

They're kinda vanilla, and so a lot of the glory is lost, but of all the options while I could say I have a personal preference for this or that (I've got a bit of a stiffie for the techno and valloton) its really the Sage I think which would be most broadly palatable.

*edit*
For the 2c its worth, I'd throw my lot in for the RIL (sage2) option, although the Sage1 in carbon is arguably more pragmatic.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22196
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Postby Evil D » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:08 pm

I think many of the Taiwan models just wouldn't make sense for a steel like this, because you'd really want it to excel at slicing, so you wouldn't want a super thick stubby blade like the Techno, and sure as heck not the Vallotton. If it wasn't the South Fork (still think that's the best option out of Taiwan, but probably most expensive and I'd rather see it in a folder since we got the mule already), then I think the best three options are the Domino, Sage, and Chaparral. The problem is that personally I would want more blade than that for a good slicing knife and all three of those knives come in a bit short IMO. At the same time I understand it would make it legal in more places, which isn't a bad thing. In the end I have to say the Military is still probably the best platform. Actually, I think the perfect knife for this would be either a Caly 3.5 or a Stretch since they're a bit thinner blade stock and thinner behind the edge, the Caly in particular.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

User avatar
hunterseeker5
Member
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Usually somewhere on the east coast

Postby hunterseeker5 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Sounds like you'd do well to vote on the Navaja then.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22196
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Postby Evil D » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:28 pm

hunterseeker5 wrote:Sounds like you'd do well to vote on the Navaja then.
It wouldn't be a bad knife, but it's also very "niche" in design and use. I wouldn't really call it an all around kind of knife. It's also hollow ground, and personally I'd greatly prefer full flat, even though as hollow grinds go the Navaja has one of the best I've seen from Spyderco.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

bpeezer
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:11 am

Postby bpeezer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:36 pm

I must be the only person more excited for a Taichung model in K390 instead of the Military :(

User avatar
Holland
Member
Posts: 7108
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:37 pm
Location: Alberta

Postby Holland » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:35 am

bpeezer wrote:I must be the only person more excited for a Taichung model in K390 instead of the Military :(
im with you! most of my favourite models are from the taichung factory
-Spencer

Rotation:
Junction | Gayle Bradley 1 & 2 | Mantra 1 | Chaparral 1 | Delica 4 | Dragonfly 2

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3554
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Postby DougC-3 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:55 am

hunterseeker5 wrote:To be perfectly frank, I'm having a hard time imagining a better option than the Sage series for this. Its not a particularly titillating model, as its effectively a lock mule, but in so many ways its really the platonic form of a spyder. Its thin, slim, light, efficient, and beautiful. They're also quite reasonably priced. We could duke it out over lock mech, but really (aside from back lock) is there a member of the sage series which has a mech so polarizing it'd really turn someone off?

They're kinda vanilla, and so a lot of the glory is lost, but of all the options while I could say I have a personal preference for this or that (I've got a bit of a stiffie for the techno and valloton) its really the Sage I think which would be most broadly palatable.

*edit*
For the 2c its worth, I'd throw my lot in for the RIL (sage2) option, although the Sage1 in carbon is arguably more pragmatic.
I'd just like to mention that the Sage 3 is totally ambidextrous with its bolt action lock. That would appeal to a lot of us lefties who make up around 10% I'm told, and may be the only way a lot of us (both left and right handed) will get to try this lock, since, I think, this is the only spydie which has it. Also its MSRP is $90 cheaper than the Sage 2, which would put it in the price range of a lot more people. And I think the bolt action lock puts it more in the fudge ripple category :p while having an MSRP only $10 higher than its vanilla friend, the Sage 1 :)
:spyder: :cool:

User avatar
nccole
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby nccole » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:56 am

Evil D wrote:I think many of the Taiwan models just wouldn't make sense for a steel like this, because you'd really want it to excel at slicing, so you wouldn't want a super thick stubby blade like the Techno, and sure as heck not the Vallotton. If it wasn't the South Fork (still think that's the best option out of Taiwan, but probably most expensive and I'd rather see it in a folder since we got the mule already), then I think the best three options are the Domino, Sage, and Chaparral. The problem is that personally I would want more blade than that for a good slicing knife and all three of those knives come in a bit short IMO. At the same time I understand it would make it legal in more places, which isn't a bad thing. In the end I have to say the Military is still probably the best platform. Actually, I think the perfect knife for this would be either a Caly 3.5 or a Stretch since they're a bit thinner blade stock and thinner behind the edge, the Caly in particular.

Exactly my thoughts, so for this poll I chose the Southfork. Domino would be next, but I would pass on wanting to see this in a Sage or Chap. I want a 3.5" folding blade in this steel. I may just hold out for a Para or Military, and dream of a Stretch CF or Caly 3.5. I also agree that a lot of Taiwan knives are specialized and not just an overall utility knife. When it comes to most of the ethnic series or specialized personal defense knives, the steel is one of the last factors I consider. Don't waste it on a model that is not a good hard worker.

User avatar
Syncharmony
Member
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Connecticut

Postby Syncharmony » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:42 am

What if... they made a new model from the Taichung factory that was tailor-made to feature this steel? And other steels? Kind of like what the Sage series is to locks and the Chapparal series is to handle materials, a Taichung series dedicated to blade steels would be pretty nice. Build it to be a mean slicer! I know that the Military and PM series already sort of fulfill this function, but a Taichung option with their level of F&F would be cool and Golden is kind of maxed out on production capabilities these days it seems.

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3554
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Postby DougC-3 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:45 pm

nccole wrote:Exactly my thoughts, so for this poll I chose the Southfork. Domino would be next, but I would pass on wanting to see this in a Sage or Chap. I want a 3.5" folding blade in this steel. I may just hold out for a Para or Military, and dream of a Stretch CF or Caly 3.5. I also agree that a lot of Taiwan knives are specialized and not just an overall utility knife. When it comes to most of the ethnic series or specialized personal defense knives, the steel is one of the last factors I consider. Don't waste it on a model that is not a good hard worker.
Why does the image of Cliff and his Chicago keep popping into my mind? :eek: I'm just kidding of course ;) ;) :D :D

Image
:spyder: :cool:

User avatar
nccole
Member
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby nccole » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:51 pm

DougC-3 wrote:Why does the image of Cliff and his Chicago keep popping into my mind? :eek: I'm just kidding of course ;) ;) :D :D

Image

That is fair. I was however talking more about pretty knives not being hard workers. I love my Chokwe and carry it and it would make a mean slicer, but would never object it to some things my Bradley or PM2 have to handle. I rarely find things smaller knives cannot handle, but just prefer a full size handle and the blade that accompanies it a bit more. A little knife un-clipped that will never need sharpening essentially is appealing. That reminds me, I need to buy an Air soon.

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9367
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Postby Donut » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 pm

DougC-3 wrote:Why does the image of Cliff and his Chicago keep popping into my mind? :eek: I'm just kidding of course ;) ;) :D :D

Image
I'm having trouble seeing Cliff in that picture. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
hunterseeker5
Member
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:23 pm
Location: Usually somewhere on the east coast

Postby hunterseeker5 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Donut wrote:I'm having trouble seeing Cliff in that picture. :)

Thats because he is a sasquatch, and extremely difficult to see or photograph. Keep looking though, eventually you'll spot him. :P

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3554
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Southeastern USA

Postby DougC-3 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:42 pm

nccole wrote:That is fair. I was however talking more about pretty knives not being hard workers. I love my Chokwe and carry it and it would make a mean slicer, but would never object it to some things my Bradley or PM2 have to handle. I rarely find things smaller knives cannot handle, but just prefer a full size handle and the blade that accompanies it a bit more. A little knife un-clipped that will never need sharpening essentially is appealing. That reminds me, I need to buy an Air soon.
You're right that a knife like the Caly 3.5 would do the metal more justice and be a better platform for trying it out. And it's probably pretty obvious that I would like another excuse to buy a Sage3 ;) Too bad there's not a Taichung-made knife more like the millie or Manix. The forum Native5 was a precedent for a super steel in a smaller knife that was a big success. Of course it had other things going for it, and the steel had different characteristics. I guess time (or Sal, another natural force ;) ) will tell.
Donut wrote:I'm having trouble seeing Cliff in that picture. :)
hunterseeker5 wrote:Thats because he is a sasquatch, and extremely difficult to see or photograph. Keep looking though, eventually you'll spot him. :P
If I'd done the work he did with that knife, I'm sure I'd have a couple of blisters... hmmm... no spoor either...(j/k) Seriously I wish I had the dedication and work ethic he has. He contributes work and information a lot faster than I can keep up with it. It will be fun to follow his new mule project.
:spyder: :cool:

shu
Member
Posts: 207
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: The Buffalo Commons

Postby shu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Sprints do not have to be current production, do they?

Another vote for the PPT.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], blueblur, Cambertree, JD Spydo, Jurphaas, Tgmr05 and 51 guests