Navaja Issues?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Navaja Issues?

Post by paladin »

I love this ethnic offering from Mr. Schempp & the Spydercrew but I have read here about issues with the ratcheting noisemaker device.

A few questions for everyone:

1. Was noisemaker breakage a big "issue" to begin with?
Or was it very limited?

2. If widespread, has the latest prod. run "solved" the issue?

3. For guys/gals who EDC the Navaja for the past year or so,
How has the noisemaker held up?

I have some Christmas money I promised my Mom-in-Law that I would solely spend on myself and I want to pull the trigger on this model, but I don't want to buy one if its central feature is faulty. Thanks in advance :)
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I can only speak for mine. My Navaja was a very early one (purchased in April 2011), and its carraca mechanism is still going strong. I believe this issue affected a relatively small percentage of knives. I'm not sure if any changes have been made to later runs. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Worst case, you might have to send it in to get fixed if it does have a problem.
:bug-red-white
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Let's say the sound-maker function breaks down. Will the knife still function as a folder, lock and all, or are they connected?

gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The knife will function just fine even if the carraca breaks.
Freman

Post by Freman »

To be honest that's something that I don't like about the Navaja. The original Navaja made the ratcheting noise because that was part of its opening mechanism, the toothed end of the blade acting against its lock. The Spyderco Navaja has a ratchet like in a child's toy to make the same sound for no good reason, which is contrary to the normal Spyderco ethos of elegant functionality.
Arillon

Post by Arillon »

Mine unfortunately stopped making the ratchet sound about 2 months after I purchased it. It still works perfectly fine though and remains one of my favorites.
12/25/2010 - :spyder: Manix 2 Orange Sprint run.
1/31/2011 - :spyder: Endura 4 Blue.
3/26/2011 - :spyder: Military Black Blade Digi Camo.
7/13/2011 - :spyder: Paramilitary CTS-20cp Sprint run.
9/6/2011 - :spyder: USN Toxic Green Catcherman Sprint.
12/25/2011 - :spyder: Moonglow Manix.
1/5/2012 - :spyder: Navaja.
2/25/2012 - :spyder: M390 CF Military Sprint run.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Freman wrote:To be honest that's something that I don't like about the Navaja. The original Navaja made the ratcheting noise because that was part of its opening mechanism, the toothed end of the blade acting against its lock. The Spyderco Navaja has a ratchet like in a child's toy to make the same sound for no good reason, which is contrary to the normal Spyderco ethos of elegant functionality.
IIRC, they went the replaceable noisemaker route as the original concept was a wear-item. As we have seen this seems easy enough to service.

Frankly, either way it's a gimmick. Although, still not as bad as some gimmicks in the industry :) .
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I received my Navaja around last November (just more than a year ago). After two months, the ratchet broke, and the knife went silent. Just before it did so, I heard a very weak ratchet, and the next time I moved the blade, there was no sound. On the bright side, the knife still functioned perfectly, and a quick trip to Spyderco fixed the carracca, but I soon traded the knife afterwards, since I did not really care for the choil on the knife.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I just bought a used Navaja and the ratcheting sound works well. However, I noticed that there is no detent keeping the knife closed. While it stays in there fairly tight, I find I can get the blade to open with a moderate flick of the wrist. Does anyone know if this is normal or is there an issue with this knife. It works fine for me the way it is, but I was surprised since I don't have another spyderco without some type of detent keeping the blade closed.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My Navaja definitely has a detent ball, just like any other liner lock. I can see it engaging when closing. It's not as strong a detent as some, and it doesn't take too much effort to shake it open, but it's definitely there and functioning.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

gbelleh wrote:My Navaja definitely has a detent ball, just like any other liner lock. I can see it engaging when closing. It's not as strong a detent as some, and it doesn't take too much effort to shake it open, but it's definitely there and functioning.
Thanks. I looked at the linerlock and there appears to be a hole where the detent ball should be, but it appears to have been removed somehow. I am wondering if it was removed intentionally by the previous owner, who told me he carried the knife as a backup while serving in Iraq. He may have wanted to make it easier to flip open. Oh well, as long as it stays closed in the pocket (which it should since I carry it tip up against the back of my pocket), I am good with it.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...