Manbug g10 vs frn?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JerryIsAlive

Manbug g10 vs frn?

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I want a manbug to serve as an alternative for office carry instead of always carrying a traditional at work. I prefer the look and feel of the g10 model. My question is: are the g10 and frn models the same thickness? I understand they are the same length and same blade, but the thickness of the handles may determine whether it'll ride comfortably in pocket. The liners and g10 have me sold on the g10 version but if the g10 version is significantly thicker, I may have to pass. Thanks
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I can't give you numbers but I believe the G10 does add some thickness. Overall the Manbug is thicker in all versions than the Ladybug, enough that for key carry I prefer the Ladybug. The G10 version is a pretty stout little knife for its size though, very capable.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Thanks for the reply. I'd assume g10 would add some thickness but I really do prefer the look of the g10 so I wanted to ask. If anyone has both, is there a distinct difference in thickness? Any and all opinions/specs are appreciated! Also, just to clarify, this will be for pocket/watch pocket carry. I don't like using anything on my keys besides keys :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd go with it regardless. Any added thickness won't be too crazy, and it'll feel better in your hand anyway. I would imagine it can't be anywhere near 1/8 inch total, if even that much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

Yea, I went through something similar w the dfly. The lightweight was great but the liners and heft of the g10 made it feel better in hand and in turn gives me more confidence using it. Granted, the dfly doesn't see much pocket time at the office
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

I'd either go G-10 manbug for the handle and heft or the ZDP Manbug for the steel.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

JerryIsAlive wrote:Yea, I went through something similar w the dfly. The lightweight was great but the liners and heft of the g10 made it feel better in hand and in turn gives me more confidence using it. Granted, the dfly doesn't see much pocket time at the office
I agree. The added heft of the G10 DF-2 makes it feel like a much more capable knife, although I'd trust the FRN version in a heartbeat. The G10 almost makes it feel like you're handling an entirely different knife.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

this_is_nascar wrote:The G10 almost makes it feel like you're handling an entirely different knife.
It does. I have a frn handle w H1. I love it but after fondling my brothers g10, I think that will be the way to go. Also the reason I am favoring the g10 manbug
Leon

Post by Leon »

I have a FRN manbug and it's just fine as a keychain knife..I think G-10 for a knife that small is an overkill and I decided not to spend the additional $30..
munchs

Post by munchs »

I have both. G10 handle is a little thicker than the frn handle. If you don't mind and rather enjoy the added heft and solid feel, g10 manbug is the way to go.
I love my g10 manbug. got two, and swapped one of them with the zdp blade. best of both worlds!
JerryIsAlive

Post by JerryIsAlive »

I went w the g10.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Let us know how you like it once you get it.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012