Gateway Spydie Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What Spyderco product got you hooked into buying more?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Byrd
1%
Value line: Ambitious, Tenacious, Persistence
12%
Caly Series
5%
Military
4%
Para Military
6%
FRN Line: Stretch, Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, Ladybug, etc..
46%
MBC Line: P'kal, Yojimbo, Civilian, Matriarch, etc...
2%
Ethnic Series: Persian, Barong, Nilakka, Navaja, etc...
2%
Sharpening Tools: Sharpmaker, Bench Stone, etc...
1%
Other
20%

Total votes: 122

billy blade

Post by billy blade »

A good old SS Police in the early 90's. Purchased used at a gun show for $15. The old boy who was selling it said, That's one of those cheap made in Japan knives! It was the only Spyderco he had on his table with his Case and Buck knives. I handed him $15, thanked him and walked away with a smile on my face.

I now have about 75 Spyderco knives. The old Police was lost and replaced with a Police 3.
rwasham

Post by rwasham »

Tenacious was one of my first Spydercos. I knew that if I could get such a nice knife for $30, I would find amazing results for more money. Holds true several spydies later!
Getting my :bug-red on!!!!

:usflag
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

C01 Worker.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
damonh

Post by damonh »

Endura 4 saber was my gateway Spyderco. In the last 2 years, I've purchased a few more:

Black PM2 for me
CF Caly 3 for me
Sharpmaker for me
Sharpmaker for a friend for Christmas 2012
Black Endura 4 FFG for a friend's birthday
Black PM2 for my brother's birthday
4 engraved SS Delica 4s for my groomsmen

In fact the ONLY non-Spyderco knife I've purchased since that first Endura has been a Kershaw Tremor that I got on WOOT for a $13 and it sees very little pocket time. ;)
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Even though I bought a Sharpmaker back in the 80's, the true gateway was a ZDP Delica. The Delica is still one of my favorites even after many Spyderco knives purchased. It has that Goldilocks "just right" balance about it.
Blackhawk30

Post by Blackhawk30 »

My gateway drug err Spyderco was a Snap-it.It was downhill from there.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Tenacious got me going. The Stretch and exotic steels got me hooked.
Enkidude

Post by Enkidude »

The Resilence was my first. I was blown away and super excited about it. Then I got the Centofanten3 and was officially hooked. Now i don't even bat an eye at spending $150+ on a knife...from Spyderco that is.
Don't mess with the Spyder because you think you're fly.
Transcend the illusion.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Sharpmaker was the first Spyderco branded product I owned. It was able to keep everything I owned sharp and made me look closely at the Spyderco company!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
christopher

Post by christopher »

My first was a C03 in late 90's. I was looking for knives with novel opening methods, ran into the SYDERCO display at the Great Western Stock Show. The rest is history. Not a regret yet. (Except for the wife, but she doesn't know how much I've spent.)
Chris
Mick

Post by Mick »

What started my addiction was the FRN Dragonfly, by default. I wanted the Pro-Grip but they were out so I got the Dragonfly. Great little knife that hooked me - the only drawback was the molded clip that didn't hold very well so I eventually lost it. Not a real problem since it's been replaced by 3 more Dragonfly's... And about 65 other Spydie's. :D
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

frn native.

if I had been taught how to sharpen early on, this might still be my only modern folder. but when that amazing s30v got dull enough I ended up buying more... and here I am now.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Spyderco Endura FFG over here!
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

My first was the Manix2 PS, but what I really wanted was the Manix2 PE black blade. I thought the PS would be more useful and was cheaper... but I really liked the looks of the PE blade in black. But I couldn't justify buying two so similar and I needed a smaller knife to carry in more public places, so I got the Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189. It had some grit in the pivot, so I joined the forum and griped about it, fixed it, got obsessed with the Manix2-XL, bought it in black blade, thought what the heck, got the black blade Manix2 PE... stayed on the forum... apparently they are putting subliminal suggestions on the forum which control my mind, and I've been buying them ever since... :spyder: :eek: :spyder:

Edit: Just for the record, my first would have been a black blade Tenacious from Amazon, but I could find no Spyercos locally, and (being a lefty) I didn't know then that I could close that series using my left index finger (I had been using a Gerber Profile for a couple of years and was tired of dedicated right hand knives). The Manix narrowly won out over the Endura and Pacific Salt black blade models as my first purchase, and now, it's still at the top for smooth functionality.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Revival

Post by Revival »

billy blade wrote:A good old SS Police in the early 90's. Purchased used at a gun show for $15. The old boy who was selling it said, That's one of those cheap made in Japan knives! It was the only Spyderco he had on his table with his Case and Buck knives. I handed him $15, thanked him and walked away with a smile on my face.

I now have about 75 Spyderco knives. The old Police was lost and replaced with a Police 3.
What a steal! Quite a few people i know including myself started with a SS Police model about 10 years ago. It was a gift from a friend. When i was ready to purchase another knife, I wanted another Spyderco but didnt know which one. It ended up being the Endura FRN and been hooked ever since.