is my para 2 real?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
txman321

is my para 2 real?

Post by txman321 »

Is my para2 a fake? someone on EDC forums thought it was I bought it from Bladeswelove on ebay they have 1500feedback with 100% positive im just worried cause the person on edc forum thought it was fake

Sparki

Post by Sparki »

Looks fine. Many fakes have the pivot screw the same size as the others, yours is the regular larger one.
earthman

Post by earthman »

Open the blade and have a look at the liners, how many 'slots' have been milled out?

My genuine one has 3, my fake has only 2.
txman321

Post by txman321 »

I tested the pivot screw its a t10 and the other screws are a t8 and the liners are milled out one on the compression lock side and two on the other liner . im fairly confident that its genuine based on my evidence
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Bladeswelove also has a website and a youtube account for knife reviews. They are legit AFAIK.
Pake

Post by Pake »

Blades We Love is trustworthy. I bought 2 brown calpyso sprints a couple of months ago off their website direct. It was a little cheaper that way since he didn't have to cover the ebay fees.
remnar

Post by remnar »

earthman wrote:Open the blade and have a look at the liners, how many 'slots' have been milled out?

My genuine one has 3, my fake has only 2.
Do you mean 3 total? I am 100% sure that mine is legit and it has one slot on the lock side and two on the opposite side.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

That was me that thought it looked off. I'm not a PM2 fan, so I admit I haven't kept up. Have they changed the angle of the plunge line on the grind in recent production? The plunge line on my S90V Para2 is parallel to the lettering on the tang and intersects the hole on the handle side of the centerline, where this one is at an angle to the lettering and intersects the hole on the tip side of the centerline. That's what looks off to me. I know the fakes keep getting better and harder to spot, so if Spyderco has changed the grind that much, I apologize for raising the flag.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
remnar

Post by remnar »

txman's grind looks identical to mine. I'm no expert, but I don't see any red flags that would lead me to think that the knife is a reproduction.
earthman

Post by earthman »

remnar wrote:Do you mean 3 total? I am 100% sure that mine is legit and it has one slot on the lock side and two on the opposite side.
Yes 3 in total.
wsdavies

Re: is my para 2 real?

Post by wsdavies »

I am Bladeswelove and I can assure you that everything we sell is 100% authentic.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

wsdavies wrote:I am Bladeswelove and I can assure you that everything we sell is 100% authentic.
Yes, yes, yes!! An awesome seller! Bought many things from them, all 100% legit. I will continue to buy from this seller with no qualms and full confidence (as should you!). Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

wsdavies wrote:I am Bladeswelove and I can assure you that everything we sell is 100% authentic.
As an Ebay seller, has the influx of fakes hurt your business? I know I used to buy lots of Spydercos off of Ebay, but I haven't in quite a while.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Pretty sure they're an authorized Spyderco dealer, so they'd get their supply straight from the source.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Pretty sure they're an authorized Spyderco dealer, so they'd get their supply straight from the source.
I suppose I worded my question poorly. I was wondering if a legit Ebay dealer, like Bladeswelove, has been negatively impacted by the massive influx of fake Spydercos on Ebay.

-Do people passing off fakes on Ebay as real take away from Bladeswelove's business because customers are searching based solely on price (not knowing they are purchasing a fake) and the fakes come in at a price point that is impossible for a legitimate businessperson to compete with?

-Do customers shop for Spydercos less in general on Ebay because of the fear of getting a fake?

My fear is that the small businesses that sell Spydercos will be driven out of business by the dishonest people who sell counterfeit goods.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Fakes have effected all dealers. I get to answer non stop questions about if the knife is real or not. I think it helps big sellers like BladeHQ and Knifecenter because people know them. Us small sellers seem to take the brunt of stuff like this. My Spyderco sales are way down this Fall. I think between the fakes and distributors selling retail through back channels it's created a toxic environment for us small fish dealers. Many have had to drop the brand as there is no real money in it any more. At this point I sell the brand because I personally like the knives and Sal. If I knew what I know now I'd prob. have only carried a select few knives of theirs and put my money in a more productive brand. It suck because I love Spyderco.
Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Pretty sure they're an authorized Spyderco dealer, so they'd get their supply straight from the source.
I suppose I worded my question poorly. I was wondering if a legit Ebay dealer, like Bladeswelove, has been negatively impacted by the massive influx of fake Spydercos on Ebay.

-Do people passing off fakes on Ebay as real take away from Bladeswelove's business because customers are searching based solely on price (not knowing they are purchasing a fake) and the fakes come in at a price point that is impossible for a legitimate businessperson to compete with?

-Do customers shop for Spydercos less in general on Ebay because of the fear of getting a fake?

My fear is that the small businesses that sell Spydercos will be driven out of business by the dishonest people who sell counterfeit goods.