What to do about tip sticking out of the handle when closed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

What to do about tip sticking out of the handle when closed?

Post by Evil D »

My Caly 3 has seen quite a bit of sharpening, to the point that the blade tip is just barely exposed when closed. I know on some knives you can grind down the tang kick which will allow the blade to close further, but with this knife having a choil in that area, and the choil acting as the kick, I don't wanna go grinding on that. Seems to me that the only option is to grind down the spine and bring the point down further on the blade, but that's going to reduce blade length a good amount to accomplish it. I don't see any other options, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Either grind the spine down, or grind the choil/kicker spot where it contacts. I'd do the choil I think. I'd have to look it over to decide personally.
- best wishes, Jazz.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Just remember that the radial nature of the kick is going to make a fraction of a millimeter off of the kick equal a millimeter or two at the tip.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The problem is that the choil IS the kick. I'd be grinding away the choil to alter the kick.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Looks like only the end of the choil contacts.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Carry the knife in a sheath?
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I think you could grind or file down the point that the kick strikes, using a thin file or grinding bit, or maybe just an ordinary drill bit. I took the blade out of my 3.5 to clean it up when I first got it, and, I can't remember for sure, but I think, with the blade out, you may be able to move that part into a more reachable position. It shouldn't take but a tiny bit of grinding.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's very little "kick" extending below the cutting edge. Grinding it, or the corresponding spot on the lockbar, may well result in the edge "bottoming out" at some point against the lockbar, spring, and/or backspacer. Probably the only realistic solution is to shorten the blade by grinding down the spine until the tip no longer shows.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Need pics! Buy some custom scales from someone and make them longer in depth.
Or do what Deacon said?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I broke the tip on one of mine and ended up taking down the spine to solve the problem because otherwise the blade would bottom out. It shortened the blade only a tad. I am the only one who has noticed :)

I had a thought, though...would Spyderco replace the blade? If so, how much would it cost?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:I had a thought, though...would Spyderco replace the blade? If so, how much would it cost?
Spyderco does not sell replacement blades. In fact, with perhaps rare exceptions, the don't even replace defective blades under warranty. They simple send you a new knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

At first I thought you were talking about a new knife because what you describe is the single biggest quality problem with every manufacturer of folding knives. The only UKPK I ever owned had the tip sticking so far out of the handle that you could actually catch the tip with you fingernail and open the knife. I gave it away after a few weeks just to get fid of it. This could have already been an issue when the knife was new and of course as you sharpen it becomes more pronounced. That's why tip status is the very first thing I look at when buying a new knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RanCoWeAla wrote:At first I thought you were talking about a new knife because what you describe is the single biggest quality problem with every manufacturer of folding knives. The only UKPK I ever owned had the tip sticking so far out of the handle that you could actually catch the tip with you fingernail and open the knife. I gave it away after a few weeks just to get fid of it. This could have already been an issue when the knife was new and of course as you sharpen it becomes more pronounced. That's why tip status is the very first thing I look at when buying a new knife.

Doubt it was like this new, I've sharpened a good 1/16 or so of blade away, but it does bring up a pretty common issue with the longevity of folders.
~David
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

It should be standard practice to grind down the spine of your knife at the tip to keep it from being exposed.

That said, if you want to maintain the length you have, grinding down the kick doesn't sound terrible. Even if the blade hits the inside of the handle after, you could just grind off some of the belly at that spot.
One of the reasons I prefer grinding down the spine is that it really is hard to mess up, and you are guaranteed to have a nice splinter picker tip afterwards as long as you did a decent job sharpening.
Clip

Post by Clip »

My vote is for a tanto Caly.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I've done this to slip joints.
Take a tiny bit of the kick/choil and look it over.**

** There is also the chance (if you take too much off) the back spring won't sit flush when you close the knife, due to the "cam" on the tang is sitting at a different position. ??????????????????

Good luck with it.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Clip wrote:My vote is for a tanto Caly.
haha, knowing David's preferences, I think a Yo-caly may be more likely :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.