Spyderco Kitchen Knives as General-Purpose Outdoor Tool: Yes or No?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Spyderco Kitchen Knives as General-Purpose Outdoor Tool: Yes or No?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I was reading the thread on the soon to be released Spyderco Kitchen Knives and this got me excited. Here is my question for anyone who owns them or has had them or looking forward to the new ones: Would these make good outdoor knives, for cleaning fish and game, and for general use around a campsite and on one's belt if you could have a sheath or blade cover, or are they best left to pure kitchen/dining use?

Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

From back in 2004 in response to a whittling question:
sal wrote:Hi ADS. A number of carvers have told me that our kitchen paring knife (KO9) works very well. Steel is excellent (MBS-26), small warncliffe shape, rubber handle. Not very expensive.

sal
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Probably. But you're likely much better off just grabbing a sturdy folder or a fixed blade purpose built for your needs.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Kitchen knives usually have good geometry, If you make(or buy) a good sheath, they should be good for whatever cutting you need to do.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Depends on how you camp. Most don't have a nice sheath or are thick for say wood use. For food prep they are tough to beat :) .

I would prob find a well-rounder like a Moran, Street Beat, South Fork or the soon to be released Serrata.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm sure the K06 Fillet Knife would work just as well filleting fish in the field as at home. The K07 Boning Knife would probably serve that purpose admirably as well. I'm also sure I could field dress a Whitetail with a K05 Utility. However, the thing that made Spyderco's original Pro Culinaire series of knives such great kitchen knives was their thin blades and thin edge grinds. Those same qualities, IMHO, make them far less than ideal choices as general purpose outdoor knives. For that type of use, a thicker blade does have its advantages.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JHR

Post by JHR »

I have a Shun Classic chef knife and noting from the design details, I believe that if Spyderco were to make theirs a good knife for kitchen use, it would be too thin, too delicate, and be too steeply ground to be much of a versatile outdoor knife.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I do not think its a good idea - If you go this route, you'll be wasting a good excuse to get a South Fork ! :)
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

The Deacon wrote:I'm sure the K06 Fillet Knife would work just as well filleting fish in the field as at home. The K07 Boning Knife would probably serve that purpose admirably as well. I'm also sure I could field dress a Whitetail with a K05 Utility. However, the thing that made Spyderco's original Pro Culinaire series of knives such great kitchen knives was their thin blades and thin edge grinds. Those same qualities, IMHO, make them far less than ideal choices as general purpose outdoor knives. For that type of use, a thicker blade does have its advantages.
That is exactly what I was thinking.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

I keep one of the original K05 serrated utility knives on my workbench at all times and use it for most cutting chores around the garage and garden. For breaking down cardboard boxes for recycling, cutting duct tape, twine, and weed block material, it's amazingly useful.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Holland

Post by Holland »

Brock O Lee wrote:I do not think its a good idea - If you go this route, you'll be wasting a good excuse to get a South Fork ! :)
Touche sir :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

The pairing knife is good for detailed wood work. The stock edge isn't very good, but when reground it is very good.