I have a question regarding Spyderco Ceramic UF Benchstones

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brian205

I have a question regarding Spyderco Ceramic UF Benchstones

Post by Brian205 »

Hi guys, new to the forum,

I have a question regarding Spyderco Ceramic UF Benchstones,

Just bought a Spyderco Ceramic UF 2"x8..." waiting for it to arrive.

I have read that the only difference between the Fine and Ultrafine
is the Ultrafine is Lap or Grounded to a Finer surface, so essentially its the same stone.

questions are.

a) How do they Ground it ? using a very fine diamond locked to a machine ?

b) How thick is that UltraFine surface that is grounded, 1mm 2mm. ?

c) So if ever the UF worns out, which will take a long time, you will have a Fine Stone ? :) ,

d) Is the UltraFine surface ground on all sides and surface of the stone ?

I hope Sal or anyone with the right info clarifies this :)

My sharpening setup is Just the Lansky Professional kit which I sometimes use as a Benchstone.

Medium Serrated Hone additonal- Fine Serrated Hone
Coarse Hone
Medium Hone
Fine Hone
Ultra-Fine Hone

which I could get Phonebook paper cutting sharp (but maybe not hair whittling - havent tried it yet )

d) Just wondering if I need a the Spyderco Fine Benchstone ? and If I am missing something special if I dont have that stone.

Thanks Guys :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

AFIK, it is somewhat impossible to wear away the fine and certainly the ultra fine stones. I have never heard any mention of the UF being made from the F stone. I have always been under the assumption that the Benchstones were homogeneous if not at least partially homogeneous. I don't think you would get a different surface after 100K passes on the F and certainly not on the UF.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Brian205

Post by Brian205 »

Thanks for the reply, I have read a Post by Sal of spyderco..... looking for it.

he is saying something like

Fine = Fine
Ultrafine = Fine with Surface Grounded to Ultrafine :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I thought they are sintered/formed that way and are homogenous throughout.

You certainly won't wear them out. That's like wearing out jackhammer bits by crushing ice cubes.
Mallus

Post by Mallus »

Ultrafine is surface ground fine and and will not wear out by sharpening knives. At first look the grinding pattern on the stone surface is rather coarse, but I guess the coarseness in this case is like the divots in the dotted DMT diamond stones, i.e. so macroscopic that it doesn't effect the sharpening.

If you're very particular about flatness (think razors), the stone surface may not be perfect out of the package. However, it's not a disaster, as it can be readily flattened with a diamond stone. I managed to get mine rather flat in an hour with a coarse DMT, despite that my diamond stone was smaller (6x2") than my ultrafine (3x8"). The DMT seems to be still working after the task. Now, what I do not know is, whether I have managed to revert my ultrafine back into fine or worse by scratching it with much coarser diamonds... I haven't done much testing with the stone after the process, but it feels very smooth to the hand, so I suspect it should be OK. I have finer diamonds in store, should I need to lap the surface.

I too wonder what (coarseness) is used at the factory to grind the surface?