New to Syderco Looking For First Purchases

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thecollector

New to Syderco Looking For First Purchases

Post by thecollector »

Hey all, I have a few knives on my short list I was looking to pick up, but I just noticed some of
the Titanium knives I wanted are made in Taiwan. I can't do it and stare at that made in Taiwan on the blade! It is soo cheesy. And for the price of those I am just turned off. I would rather pay an extra hundred and have them made here

I just ordered a para2 and am looking for other USA made Spyderco suggestions only.
Oh Japan knives work also
Invective

Post by Invective »

For USA made knives, there's the Yojimbo2, Manix2 and Manix2XL, Military, Native, and the UKPK. Of those, I'd recommend the Yojimbo2 and the Military, super solid knives and great at their price points, although the Manix's are cheaper and just as good, I just like the Yo2 and Millie better.

And don't get turned off by the Taiwan knives, the reason they're made there isn't because it's cheaper, I think Sal has said before that if the some of the Taiwan knives were made here, they'd be cheaper. The reason they are made there is because Spyderco's Taiwan manufacturer has really good tolerances and fit and finish, more production capacity (I think) and newer machines than in Golden, although the factory in Golden is in the middle of renovation, I believe to increase capacity. And many people here, I myself included, feel that Taiwan has one of, if not the best fit and finish of the Spydie knives. So don't discount them just because of where they are made. Spyderco does not sacrifice quality in order to lower the price.
thecollector

Post by thecollector »

Excellent to know on the Taiwan knives, thank you because I do like some of the designs.
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

All of the Taiwan knives I own are perfect. The quality control is amazing and they're some of the best knives out there. Don't miss out!
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Invective wrote:For USA made knives, there's the Yojimbo2, Manix2 and Manix2XL, Military, Native, and the UKPK. Of those, I'd recommend the Yojimbo2 and the Military, super solid knives and great at their price points, although the Manix's are cheaper and just as good, I just like the Yo2 and Millie better.

And don't get turned off by the Taiwan knives, the reason they're made there isn't because it's cheaper, I think Sal has said before that if the some of the Taiwan knives were made here, they'd be cheaper. The reason they are made there is because Spyderco's Taiwan manufacturer has really good tolerances and fit and finish, more production capacity (I think) and newer machines than in Golden, although the factory in Golden is in the middle of renovation, I believe to increase capacity. And many people here, I myself included, feel that Taiwan has one of, if not the best fit and finish of the Spydie knives. So don't discount them just because of where they are made. Spyderco does not sacrifice quality in order to lower the price.
Taiwan knives, as stated above, are the best in my opinion! You can't go wrong-Top Notch quality! Not mainland China!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I don't own a Spyderco Taiwan made knife as of yet, but after many hours, days, weeks, months of researching various knives, I've read nothing but great reviews concerning how Taiwan does these knives. Yep, that sounds surprising to us old-timers, but that seems to be the consensus.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Collector.

Welcome to our forum.

When we select a maker for our knives, we research the person. The mind, the trust, the ability, the reliability, the long term potential. We have few in the world that can meet our demands and we feel fortunate when we get the opportunity to meet andn work with such a person.

Our Taichung maker is such a person and we will grow together. Our customers reap the benefit of the combination of carefully created designs built to the very highest standards in specialty knife making.

I would suggest that you try to keep an open mind and think "person" rather than "country".

sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Welcome to the forum. I'll say what the others have, the Taiwan knives are fantastic and among the best I own. If you like Ti, check out the Techno or Sage (though any in the Sage line are great).

For US knives, I'd look at the Para 2 (there is a Ti version in the works, but may be a ways out), Military (if you want a big knife, is also available in Ti and fluted Ti), Native 5 (available in fluted Ti), or the Manix 2 (no Ti options).

While not Ti knives, from Japan I'd check out: the Caly 3 or 3.5, Delica, Stretch and Manbug or Ladybug (specifically the H1 hawkbill version).
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
thecollector

Post by thecollector »

Thanks everyone for the input on this, I will pick up a couple I was wanting and give them a try. Impressive that the head man steps up and responds on a forum post. I am feeling good about this place already.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

thecollector,

Welcome to the Forum.
There are bunch of great designs and well made Golden knives. My favorite is Native5. I own several variants. And hope to have more. At least one of my Native5 always in my pocket (when I have pockets on me). 2013 Forum knife in my opinion is the cream of the crop. My second favorite from Golden is Dodo. It is discontinued, but there were two sprints fairly recently. I also like Para2 and Manix2 LW in black. Military is a great knife, but a little too big for my taste.
Good luck
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

Also consider that the Taiwan knives are using steel made in America and shipped there, handle materials like titanium are made in the US and shipped there and they are designed by Americans and revenue for sales all support Americans.

As others have stated, the Taichung knives rival custom and mid tech levels of fit and finish. I guarantee pick one up and it'll be one of the best you've ever used.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Moki (Caly) too!! My Caly has F&F that rivals some customs!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

sal wrote:I would suggest that you try to keep an open mind and think "person" rather than "country".
sal
Wise words from a very wise man!
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

thecollector wrote:Excellent to know on the Taiwan knives, thank you because I do like some of the designs.
I don't know how old you are. I'm fifty ??? (can't remember :) ). Made in "all those countries" that used to scream CHEAP seems to not be as true as they once were. IMO, as others have said, the Taiwan models are among the best Spyderco's there are. I think the reason is the "standard" is established by Spyderco, which IS an American country. If a factory in Boston made junk Spyderco wouldn't put their name on it. I've thought about this a bit and I think the "individual" has his/her level of excellence no matter where they were born and/or raised. The CHEAPNESS of all those products came from "management's desire to make junk and sell it over and over to people when the stuff keeps breaking. I don't know, could be wrong.

Jack
Holland

Post by Holland »

the Taiwan models have superior f&f than the golden models, so dont be turned of by the origin. i would highly recommend looking into the chaparral series, the caly series, or the gayle bradely
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Dang. Read thread after I posted. Sal, I hope you make sure the people in Taiwan see this thread. Every single one of them. Well, at least the ones that work at the factory. :) Seems Spyderco is excellence spelled different once again. :)

Jack
Revival

Post by Revival »

sal wrote:Hi Collector.

Welcome to our forum.

When we select a maker for our knives, we research the person. The mind, the trust, the ability, the reliability, the long term potential. We have few in the world that can meet our demands and we feel fortunate when we get the opportunity to meet andn work with such a person.

Our Taichung maker is such a person and we will grow together. Our customers reap the benefit of the combination of carefully created designs built to the very highest standards in specialty knife making.

I would suggest that you try to keep an open mind and think "person" rather than "country".

sal
Well put. Words of wisdom right there.
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I recently picked up my first Spyderco made in Taiwan, a Chaperral. It is excellent in both fit and finish. I see no difference in quality at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Spyderco madein Taiwan and certainly wouldn't rule them out.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

aquaman67 wrote:I recently picked up my first Spyderco made in Taiwan, a Chaperral. It is excellent in both fit and finish. I see no difference in quality at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Spyderco madein Taiwan and certainly wouldn't rule them out.
Tell me more about your Chapperral. It's next on my short list to get.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
BatCountry9

Post by BatCountry9 »

sal wrote:Hi Collector.

Welcome to our forum.

sal
thecollector,

I don't know Mr. Glesser personally, nor do I know those in charge of the Taichung plant, but when Sal speaks of personal relationships, he means it. When I hold my Gayle Bradley (made in Taiwan) in my hands, I feel like this knife was made especially for me. It doesn't feel like a production Spydie, or Benchmade or Emerson or ZT...it feels like millions of people slaved over this knife to make it absolutely perfect. The tolerances are perfect. The grind is perfect. The way it smells....is perfect. There are few knives you will encounter outside of a custom shop that will rival those that are shipped from Taichung, Taiwan.

Look, I love the "Golden, Colorado U.S.A Earth" stamp as much as anyone, but when I get a Spydie that has that Taiwan stamp and that special Bug style they use...I know i'm getting something special. Spyderco knives from Taiwan are unlike any other Taiwan-based knives in the world. They're gems, and they must be held and used to be appreciated.