How a LadyBug saved Christmas

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Son Tao

How a LadyBug saved Christmas

Post by Son Tao »

A dear friend of mine received a LadyBug from me for a birthday present. The tiny little knife saved Christmas! This was originally posted at www.thefiringline.com

Besides people emailing me and telling me to post this here, I thought I would share this experience with everyone because I am curious as to what everyone's reactions are. Friday night I started (yes started) some Christmas shopping at a local store in the area, kind of late at night.Well I came out of the store with this huge bag around my wrist, into the dark snowy parking lot, -40 degrees outside and I think it was around 10:30 it was late and cold thats all I know. As I am walking towards the car this guy bumps into me. I figured he must have slipped on the ice or something and was just about to ask him if he was ok when he tries to grab my bag!! I yanked it back and we were kind of doing a tug of war thing for a few seconds. Then he grabs my hair and kind of pushes my head down so my head was facing the ground. I still had one hand on the bag (well it was wrapped tightly around my wrist) and the other hand was free. So I took my right hand and reached into my jacket pocket and grabbed my spyderco knife, flipped it open, got a good grip on it pulled it out of the pocket and jabbed his wrist or arm I'm not sure what I hit but he let go and started walking away. All I wanted to do was get out of there so I hurried and got into my car, locked the doors and sped away almost hitting a parked car because I was in total panic. I tried to dial 911 on the cell phone when I got down the block but I guess its not 911 its *66 or something stupid like that (so I found out). So I just headed over to the police station to report it. After I told them what happened they asked for the knife which was laying on the floor in the car, so I went and got it and it had blood on it! Anyways to shorten this story as I did on the other boards, I couldnt give them an exact description because I really didn't see his face it was dark and he had a hat, gloves and I think a scarf on, smelled like booze and thats about all I could recall,so I wasn't of much help with that part. They did say they would call the local hospitals to see if anyone came in with a knife wound to the arm or wrist. I never heard anything so I guess it wasn't that bad of a wound.? Anyways, it was a pretty scary! I did get the bag though with all the presents in it, he didn't get nothing but a slice

So on the other boards I have had mixed reactions as to what I should have done. Some say I should have given the bag up, as my Father said as well. To be honest, I wasn't thinking, it was all like a natural reaction. I had a good grip on the bag so I yanked it back. **** I just shopped for two hours I wasn't about to let some moron have all my stuff. I didn't see a weapon either. Of course if he had a gun I would probably have given it to him, but from what I saw it was just me and him, no weapons of any sort (except mine). When I went to stab him, I didn't do it to kill him, I did it to free myself. I was shocked he backed off that easily, he was grabbing his arm as he walked but I didn't stick around to see if he needed assistance . So I was just curious if you all think I did the right thing. Personally I feel good about it, I wasn't hurt, I got my presents home in one piece, and my kid had a big smile on her face as she opened her presents. Thanks for the knowledge TFL, had this happened two years ago, that guy would be giving his family some nice presents this year.

Miss D
bjones

Post by bjones »

In my opinion you did the right thing. People have to protect themselves from human predators. The main objective is to get away and that's what you did.

B. Jones
toothed

Post by toothed »

Son Tao, what happened to the knife? If it was returned to you, how would you or did you clean it? What action did the police take against you? Is it possible that the BG could sue you? Just wondering.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Son Tao. Welcome to the Spyderco forum and thanx for the story.

The blade on a Ladybug is about an inch long. About the same size as a fang or claw, but much sharper.

It's always hard to know what was the "right thing to do" except in hindsight. I think in your case, it was the right thing, not only for you, but perhaps he'll think twice about assaulting another?

sal
Leo Daher

Post by Leo Daher »

Miss D:

IMHO, you did the right thing. I mean, what if he wanted more than just your bag? What if he started hitting you? Some crooks don't need a reaction to hurt their victims; they'll do it to intimidate them, or just out of plain meanness. The bottom line is, it worked. Congratulations on your courage!

Regards,

Leo Daher
crazy_horse

Post by crazy_horse »

Hi Son Tao,

You can tell Miss D that I for one think she did the right thing. If criminals learn that they can take anything they want without effort, they will do so. It is up to US to defend our liberty and make the average thug realize they might get hurt so maybe they should reconsider. It's just to bad she couldn't have hurt him more.
mario

Post by mario »

Hi Son Tao,
I'm very glad you are safe.
The real matter now is that a small blade makes damages like a big one, but if you have the big one, for Police, you are the bad guy! Even if it's only to defend yourself!
Let's take example from Tao: let's live the big blades at home, or for hunting, and let's lern how to effectively use the small blades.

EX ALTO FULGOR
akbell

Post by akbell »

Good for you!!! I refuse to be a victim. I always carry either my Chinook or CQC7 AND a Colt Govt model 45acp.