led flashlight built into scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Davidig

led flashlight built into scales

Post by Davidig »

Has the idea ever been knocked around of building a delica (for example) with a little LED flashlight in the scales.. I looked for something like this on the web and only saw some poorly executed pieces.

With technology what it is, I wonder if spyederco could do a little bulge in the handle and put a pressure activated switch, with a single led. Maybe they could team up with Streamlight or or Surefire. Maybe it could just be an accessory scale...
It sure would be handy.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I thought about trying to mod a scale by cutting out a section big enough to fit one of these stick on lights onto the liner, then the light would sit almost flush with the outside of the scale, but I'm too chicken to cut up a scale to try it. I think it's a good idea if a scale was made the right way with the light built in. An easier solution would probably just be a Photon light clipped on the lanyard hole.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
remnar

Post by remnar »

Spyderco distributed some G-Sakai knives years ago that were small keychain knives with a built in led. I have a couple laying around the house and a couple NIB put away somewhere. Victorinox does a good job on some of their knives with a built in led. None of these would be the equivalent of a larger knife like the Delica with an led. It would be really cool if done right.
Davidig

Post by Davidig »

I keep a Streamlight Nano to my keys. My keys are often in my bag but a knife is always in my pocket. I agree that putting one on the lanyard hole would be effective (and a good idea), but not as awesome.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very cool concept, but I imagine the handle would have to be quite a bit thicker than usual
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Davidig

Post by Davidig »

I dont know, if you look at the what's involved in modern led fiashlight, with button batteries (check out the link), there not much to them.
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=141
remnar

Post by remnar »

Davidig wrote:I dont know, if you look at the what's involved in modern led fiashlight, with button batteries (check out the link), there not much to them.
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=141
I agree. My Victorinox Signature Lite is a small keychain knife with very thin scales that contain the LED and battery. I bet most people wouldn't even know that the LED was even there.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You are pretty limited. Basically it would be a lithium coin cell direct driving an acrylic low-current 2mm or 3mm LED. A very diffused 5 lumens or so, probably not the greatest tint on the upper lumen scale either. It's better than not having a light but also not impressive.

High current modern LED's really need more space to work well. The most compact and powerful that most would consider "impressive" is Veleno Customs Quantum DD. It's a tiny Cree LED being direct driven off a 10180 cylindrical cell (1/3rd AAA lithium rechargeable). While you could probably find a way to get that inside the handle of a thicker Spyderco handle essentially it would have a large portion of dead space devoted to the light. On high you could get like 100 lumens for 6 minutes.

Really, small lithium batteries you have to charge have a new set of eccentricities. Button and coin cells are easy, cheap and safe. Most cell phones blow these little lights out of the water though. They are already equipped with Li-ion batteries and LED's. That and people are less likely to wash and disassemble their cell phones than knives. :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I think SOG had something like that...

Edit: Found it.

http://www.sogknives.com/bladelight-folder.html
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, back in the mid 90's, Spyderco marketed a small knife-flashlight combination from one of their Japanese makers, G Sakai, called the Hotaru (Japanese for Firefly). Not sure how an updated version of that, using the Delica, would sell. You're limiting yourself to someone who wants both in one package, needs both a new knife and a new flashlight, and likes that particular knife. OTOH, if some third party gadget maker could come up with either a light that mounts to one of the unused sets of holes on any Spyderco that uses the fairly ubiquitous 3 screw "hourglass' clip, or one that also acts as a viable replacement for that clip, the market would be considerably larger.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Blerv wrote: Image
Just get some epoxy and you'll be all set! It might be a bit "lumpy" in pocket, though... :rolleyes:

TedP
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Benchmade did that with their early version of the rescue knife now known as a Houdini. The LED light was a major fail. I am glad Spyderco is not pursuing that idea further, as there are so many better real flashlights out there to use in the off hand.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would like to see a quality pairing if anything. Native5 and Peak Eiger for example. Both trusted locally-made tools.
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Boom. Problem solved.

remnar

Post by remnar »

Fresh Eddie Fresh wrote:Boom. Problem solved.

That'll never work. Every time you try to use your knife in the dark you'll blind yourself, and every time you try to use the flashlight you'll stab yourself. :D
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Just turn the flashlight around and the problem is solved! HA, HA, HA!!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Monkeywrangler wrote:Benchmade did that with their early version of the rescue knife now known as a Houdini. The LED light was a major fail. I am glad Spyderco is not pursuing that idea further, as there are so many better real flashlights out there to use in the off hand.
Or those things you put on your forehead, headlamps?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I think SOG had something like that...

Edit: Found it.

http://www.sogknives.com/bladelight-folder.html
I might actually buy and use something like that for no other reason than to cut bait while night fishing.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fresh Eddie Fresh

remnar wrote:That'll never work. Every time you try to use your knife in the dark you'll blind yourself, and every time you try to use the flashlight you'll stab yourself. :D
eric m. wrote:Just turn the flashlight around and the problem is solved! HA, HA, HA!!!
CQI!

Any home invader would have to have second thoughts after staring down the business end of this sucker!

Special sneak peek at the sprint run... they have added a few features without taking away from it's overall tactical look and function:

Fresh Eddie Fresh

ok, it is really boring at work today. I spent about three minutes rigging this thing up and probably the next 45 minutes flipping the thing open and shut over and over.