Delica 4 too good?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrHanz

Delica 4 too good?

Post by DrHanz »

All my life I had a SAK in my pocket and was rather happy with that, but some months ago I decided to buy a Spyderco. A Delica 4 with plain edge in boring black FRN. Nothing special, nothing fancy. But man, what a fantastic knife this is! Everything just seems perfect. The grip, the size, the feel... It it is almost too good, I want to buy another Spyderco or Benchmade but all models I looked at just do not match all the things that make this Delica so great... What should be my next? Should I even buy a next?
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

You should defently check out the Caly 3 if you love the Delica :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
noddy

Post by noddy »

Just get right out there and buy the Southard flipper :)
DrHanz

Post by DrHanz »

Yes, I did look at the Caly 3 (and 3.5) or a Manix or Paramilitary 2. Or a BM Minigrip. But I did not quite see what the Caly has that the Delica does not but better handle material. Although I quite like the grip that the FRN gives me on the Delica. The Para seems to be an amazing knife, more tactical, but maybe too big for edc. And the Minigrip does nog give the same full fourfinger grip that the Delica does. So... I reserved the resources to go out and buy a second quality knife, but no knife made me pull the trigger, yet...
Holland

Post by Holland »

caly3 is amazing, better ergo, steel, and handle material than the delica
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Sounds crazy but get a serrated Tasman salt. You will never look back.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One does not simply "check out" a Caly or Para 2 over the internet. You will never see what there is to see with your eyes only.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I carried my Delica 3 exclusively for almost 7 years before I picked up my second Spyderco, the Caly 3. That was the knife that I thought good enough to kick the Delica out of my pocket and the Delica hasn't gotten much pocket time since. I'd also recommend checking out the carbon fiber Sage 1. Both are fantastic knives that aren't too large (considering you think the Para 2 might be too big). I'd also suggest looking at the H1 Ladybug hawbill. Probably 75% of my cutting can be accomplished with this very small, but very effective knife.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Try a Native frn. That will tell you which handle you prefer; a more slimline profile, or a more hand-filling one.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Evil D wrote:One does not simply "check out" a Caly or Para 2 over the internet. You will never see what there is to see with your eyes only.
Well put.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I say get a Stretch.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I'd say check out knives that are different than the Delica. A perfect example would be a Manbug for when you want a smaller knife than the Delica. Or the GB for when you want a knife bigger than the Delica. I carry all three. Except I don't have a Delica. My Chaparral is my knife that is your "Delica". However I have noticed something in the past month or two. If harder cutting chores are routine the Chaparral is not my favorite. The blade is thinner so when cutting something requiring a little more force it bothers my thumb. In my case I'd rather have my Sage4. So, my 3 knife EDC set is Manbug, Sage4 (or Chaparral) and Gayle Bradley. So, I'd suggest a Chaparral or any one of the Sages as a option other than the Delica. But, maybe you would be better suited to a smaller or bigger knife to "go along" with the Delica. Just a thought.

THere is a thread about which knife is carried most. The Caly 3 (or 3.5) is right at the top with a couple of others. So a Caly 3 would be a good choice I believe. It has been added to my wish list after I saw how many people pick it on a lot of mornings when they have several other choices as well.

Jack
PS edit:
Don't forget to look at the Dragonfly2. I have it also and it is definately a great smaller knife.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

How about we just say it's "right" good. It's a great all around knife - period, and I'll throw in a pic to boot...

- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi DrHanz,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for the kind words.

sal
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

jackknifeh wrote:However I have noticed something in the past month or two. If harder cutting chores are routine the Chaparral is not my favorite. The blade is thinner so when cutting something requiring a little more force it bothers my thumb. In my case I'd rather have my Sage4.
I'm curious, if you carry all three, why wouldn't the Gayle Bradley be your go-to knife in a harder cutting chore situation?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Just buy another Delica FFG in ZDP189 steel.And maybe a Paramilitary 2 for outdoor.That's all you need.These two are the best allarounders you could get.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

IG-88 wrote:You should defently check out the Caly 3 if you love the Delica :)

^^^^^^ I concur!! YEP!!!!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

If you like your Delica that much, you might try the G10 version of the Delica - just adds a bit of heft and grip, full of quality. They are discontinued but National Knives still has some.

Of course Spyderco offers *lots* of great choices for a "next" knife. Depends on your interests and size of your hands, Sage, Caly 3/3.5, Chaparral...
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hi. I know EXACTLY what the OP is saying ... after being dismayed by the poor quality of a Boker Plus knife, I sent it back and upgraded to a sabre ground Delica, which arrived just a couple of days ago.
After years of loyalty to Victorinox, I am just blown away by this great knife. The blade, the handle, the feel...
How can there be better? I can see that a larger blade would be handy for my camping trips, though. Endura? Manix? Paramilitary? Caly? How on earth do you choose?!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would probably look at the other FRN knives in the family. Stretch, Dragonfly, Ladybug, etc.

The classier G10 knives are amazing. Still, if you like the form-factor of the Delica you're pretty much guaranteed to love the siblings. Plus...they are very reasonably priced.