The best balanced small in size EDC knife for utility purposes?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gijoe945

Post by gijoe945 »

I carry a Karahawk in front pocket and Equilibrium in back. No problems.
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

gijoe945 wrote:I carry a Karahawk in front pocket and Equilibrium in back. No problems.
There you go, Officer Gigglez. That seems like a great choice.
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Ti Chaparral!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

FFG Delica lightweight. It'd be a good contrast to your waved Delica, and a far better slicer. I own both myself and they are that different. Very light and thin in your pocket, yet big enough to do most common tasks.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Dragonfly gets my vote. But I have a question are you an officer? If so then I would recommend an older rescue 79mm. It's pretty flat in the pocket and cuts like a chainsaw! It's a way better choice to extricate a person if your a first responder than the karahawk.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
taeji

Post by taeji »

Dragonfly or Manbug. G10 or FRN you can't go wronh.

Chaparral is on my short list and would likely do well there alsi
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Native5
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Dodge wrote:Dragonfly gets my vote. But I have a question are you an officer? If so then I would recommend an older rescue 79mm. It's pretty flat in the pocket and cuts like a chainsaw! It's a way better choice to extricate a person if your a first responder than the karahawk.
The Karahawk isn't for rescuing others. Its for rescuing me. And No, I'm not a cop just yet, but I'm pretty close to getting to the academy; I'm in college and working as a dispatcher.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Officer Gigglez

I think I'm going to go with a Cat or Dragonfly. Though I'm leaning toward dragonfly with a Spyderedge on it. I like the Pingo's looks, but I hate that it isn't one hand opening.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Gayle Bradley Air? :) Budget-buster, though, if you want <$50. A used D3 would be a great solution.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

yeah, for the money I'd choose Dragonfly. Your choice of plain edge or serrated.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Mister X

Post by Mister X »

Officer Gigglez wrote:The Karahawk isn't for rescuing others. Its for rescuing me. And No, I'm not a cop just yet, but I'm pretty close to getting to the academy; I'm in college and working as a dispatcher.
In your case as a soon to be Police Officer, it makes sense that the secondary utility knife should also be adequate to act as a back-up defensive weapon. The dragonfly and similar sized knives are fine for light simple day to day tasks for the average person, but they are really too small for defensive use or the possible extreme emergency cutting you might have to perform in your duty's as an LEO . A knife with around at least 3" length blade or so should be the minimum and you really need a knife that you can get all fingers on the handle as well as be able take a functional reverse grip on it. A serrated or even a combination edge on it would also make sense a lot sense.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I would suggest the D'Fly, in ZDP :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Officer Gigglez

DWW wrote:In your case as a soon to be Police Officer, it makes sense that the secondary utility knife should also be adequate to act as a back-up defensive weapon. The dragonfly and similar sized knives are fine for light simple day to day tasks for the average person, but they are really too small for defensive use or the possible extreme emergency cutting you might have to perform in your duty's as an LEO . A knife with around at least 3" length blade or so should be the minimum and you really need a knife that you can get all fingers on the handle as well as be able take a functional reverse grip on it. A serrated or even a combination edge on it would also make sense a lot sense.
My thoughts exactly. Both blades will be secondary to my sidearm of course, but the utility knife would certainly be my last ditch effort, while the Karahawk will be on my off side, in case someone feels its a good idea to try and take my firearm, which will lead to a sliced jugular. But again, those were my thoughts, which is part of why I chose to rule out the Pingo.
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Resilience
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

ParaMilitary 2 or Ulize? Not exactly cheap for either, but both ride nice in a back pocket (The Ulize especially is particularly slender and takes up minimal thickness in back pocket). On the cheaper end...look at a FRN Native...maybe even the Knife Center CTS-XHP version. My black FRN native shrugged a 275 foot fall (Closed) onto gravel with a mark so small that you'd never find it if I didn't point it out. Still functions flawlessly, and carries small. Not exactly large, but for what they cost and how well FRN holds up it would be the no brainer choice on a budget in my eyes.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Sage 1 is dope