Do you keep your stainless blades oiled?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JHR

Do you keep your stainless blades oiled?

Post by JHR »

I don't oil anything on my stainless blades except the pivots, but after I put an 8Cr13MoV Byrd in the dishwasher I noticed that there are some spots on the belly of the knife where corrosion popped up. Nothing major.

Is this because of a couple hours of moisture in a dishwasher or is it a result of the detergents used?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The magic word in your post was dishwasher. You never run quality knives through the dishwasher. Not only are the detergents used in them very abrasive, they heat up to dry the dishes which creates a perfect breeding ground for rust. Any steel with any amount of carbon is almost guaranteed to rust after that.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Bingo! A winner!

To the OP, just as you, only the pivot and any other moving parts (ball lock travel etc)

Ken
玉鋼
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would never put any knife in the dishwasher -except a butter knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

ive never put oil on any on my knives, whether they r stainless or not. (except for the pivot that is)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I use TufGlide/TufCloth on the blades of almost all my knives. It makes for a good cleaner and the extra bit of corrosion prevention is a bonus.

TedP
Titomake

Post by Titomake »

Hello.

The dishwasher is also bad for g-10 handles and bronze washers. You'd better avoid it for your blades.

Regards.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I use Tufcloth on my non-stainless blades, but I never oil the stainless ones. So far, no problems at all. I live in a very dry climate, though.
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Titomake wrote:Hello.

The dishwasher is also bad for g-10 handles and bronze washers. You'd better avoid it for your blades.

Regards.
Bronze washers (if they are really made of bronze, I don't know) are probably pretty soft so I could believe that. Except that they are sandwiched pretty good in there.

But I can't imagine G-10 ever being damaged by any number of runs through a touchless wash mechanism. Isn't this stuff supposed to resist acids and such?
willc

Post by willc »

On my high carbon steel blades I will use a thin coat of Frog Lube on the blade itself and that has helped with rust forming.
If the opening is rough I go with Tuff Glide or Super Lube.
LH Millie/ PM2 digi/ Tenacious/ Dragonfly/ Persian2/ Endura Super Blue
Cruwear Millie/ Manix2 XL/ Manix2/ Swick3/Gayle Bradley/ Delica SB/ Sage3
Invective

Post by Invective »

I only oil blades that see excessive amount of time in the pocket, like my Jester of LadyBug. I think I have very corrosive sweat so if anything will spend a few hours cooped up in my pocket, I just want to make sure the blade stays safe. I've gotten rust on all metal parts of my Jester before (blade, lockbar, handle screws) and sent it in to W&R to make sure it hadn't spread to the internals I couldn't get to with a qtip. Spyderco took care of it extremely well though but ever since then I oil down all my small knives to keep from inconveniencing them anymore :p
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I don't even oil my Superblue or CPM-10V blades
Mark in Oz

Post by Mark in Oz »

Yep, lightly over the whole blade each time I apply oil to the pivot, especially in Summer as I must sweat paint stripper, and any IWB carry needs protection. I use Inox, as its food grade.
arty

Post by arty »

I use wax (Lee Valley generic version of Ren wax) on carbon carbon steel blades in storage, but don't oil the blades of users. I occasionally oil the pivot, but never oil stainless blades. They just need to be wiped dry or cleaned after use.
Not all stainless steel is equally rust resistant, but I have never had any problems with rust or pitting on any of my knives.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

michaelm466 wrote:I don't even oil my Superblue or CPM-10V blades
this.

had my SB Delica in my pocket since it hit the stores. it's seen thousands of feet of cardboard, countless chemicals, food, etc... I even pretty much stopped wiping it off after use since it wouldn't even form a patina at the start. I think all the cardboard keeps it reasonably polished and rust free.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

It depends if you are talking about carry knives or collectibles stored in a safe. And also if you're talking about classic slip joints with Brass liners or knives of all Stainless construction. I never put a drop of oil on knife other than the ones I carry and then only on the pivot. Oil is the worst possible enemy of the Brass liners on slip joints because oil is what causes the tiny rust spots along the top and bottom edge of the liners about mid way. Oil attracts moisture trapping it under the oil and thus causing rust. That's why it's so hard to find a slip joint in mint condition that's thirty or forty years old.
DM11

Post by DM11 »

Yes I oil every knife blade regardless of steel type.
Hold Fast

David
Titomake

Post by Titomake »

bengaiser wrote:Bronze washers (if they are really made of bronze, I don't know) are probably pretty soft so I could believe that. Except that they are sandwiched pretty good in there.

But I can't imagine G-10 ever being damaged by any number of runs through a touchless wash mechanism. Isn't this stuff supposed to resist acids and such?
Hello:

Some detergents contain bleach and this can decolorate G-10 and micarta.

That's another reason to avoid diswashers even if the blades are 100% stainless.

Regards.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I keep them lightly oiled with Hoppe's #9, except for the H1 blades. I oil them only after I have given them a beating and put them through the sharpener and cleaned them.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
eric m.