Serrata Arrived!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

A few pictures showing the knife in different grips:

Overall a very comfortable knife to hold, although I haven't done any work with it. The slim handle feels a world apart from something like my Ontario RD-9 bush, which is also Micarta handled - sort of like comparing a sword to a scalpel!

Knife and it's included sheath:

Knife in sheath - note that I've removed the g-clip for now:

A precision fit:

I'm still not sure how I'll carry this. Clipping it on my belt places the knife handle too high for comfortable drawing and raises the real possibility of stabbing myself when trying to re-sheath! Some system is needed for the knife to ride lower down on my leg. One possibility is to just put it in my back pocket - this works extremely well with slanted pockets such as those found on my 5.11 pants:

On these trousers the knife + sheath will even fit in the knife pocket on the front!

Not that I would carry it that way...

That's all for now everyone. Congratulations to Sal, Stuart and the maker in Taiwan for this wonderful, affordable fixed blade. Just looking at it makes me want to go out and have an adventure!

Regards,
Bruno
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Glbpro,

Thanx much for the great pics and sharing info.

sal
ourgon

Post by ourgon »

I carry my Street Bowie on belt in kydex sheath, on right hip, with handle down. But custom kydex is very solid and I know that's will not coming off accidentally.
:spyder: Street Bowie
:spyder: Street Beat
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Starmate 440V
:spyder: Police SS
:spyder: Endura IV FG
:spyder: ClipiTool
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I held one at my local knife store almost 2 weeks ago because he finally got one in...and it feels like pure win. I'll definitely have one before the end of the summer, hopefully in time for my first summer camping trip.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

sal wrote:Hi Glbpro,

Thanx much for the great pics and sharing info.

sal
You're welcome Sal, thanks for reaching out to your customers in such a positive and consistent way. If your sailing travels ever take you near my small island please let me know ;)
Regards,
Bruno

glbpro

Post by glbpro »

ourgon wrote:I carry my Street Bowie on belt in kydex sheath, on right hip, with handle down. But custom kydex is very solid and I know that's will not coming off accidentally.
Hmm! I never thought of that :)

Does the handle get in the way when you sit down? What about driving with it in that position? And how do you re-sheath, seeing that it's impossible to see the mouth of the sheath? By muscle memory I suppose ;)

And what about drawing the knife - do you draw downwards into a hammer grip or a reverse grip? Or do you reverse your hand and draw into a conventional grip?
Regards,
Bruno

Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Nice thoughts there, Bruno...
Soooo...
Wadda ya cut yet? :D
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:Nice thoughts there, Bruno...
Soooo...
Wadda ya cut yet? :D
Haha! Thought you might ask me that ;)

The first thing I cut was some paper, mainly to test the out of box sharpness. I was immediately impressed - the blade glided through the paper with shockingly little resistance, especially the belly. I mean, this knife slices as well as my PM2, which is incredible considering the thickness of the stock - just goes to show what good blade geometry and distal tapering will do for you. The secondary bevel on this knife is not unduly wide, which shows how thin the maker managed to get the knife near the edge. Do you have any idea what grit the maker in Taiwan finishes these blades to? I think they got it spot on.

During this process I used my Cold Steel Recon 1 as a sort of control, mainly because a) it was handy, and b) I've done a lot of cutting with this knife so it gives me some basis for comparison. Not scientific by any means but this is much more fun :D

A picture of the two knives, lighting adjusted to show the secondary bevels. The Recon 1 has been reprofiled to the Spyderco standard 15 degrees per side with a 20 degree micro bevel. This particular Recon 1 was ground pretty thick at the factory, which is why the secondary bevel at the belly and tip is so wide!

Both of these knives are shaving sharp - the Serrata has its factory edge, the Recon 1 edge is spyderco white stone + stropping with yellowstone compound.

The next thing I cut was a bunch of cotton fabric - reducing old t-shirts to rags for cleaning my bicycle! Now this is where I found the value of the toothy edge on the cast 440c - it grabs the material and starts chomping through it immediately, unlike the polished edge on the Recon 1 which sort of slides around and then starts to cut.

The last thing was some 550 paracord - this was where the difference in the two edges was most apparent. The polished edge had a hard time getting started on the cord, requiring quite a bit of pressure and/or tension, depending on whether I was cutting chopping board style or pulling the blade against a loop of cord. The cast 440c latched on and went straight through with a very satisfying 'shick' sound, the likes of which I have never quite heard before.

So yeah I've cut a few things ;)

It's interesting that, running my thumb very carefully along the Serrata's edge, I can actually *feel* the micro-serrations, which goes to show just how sensitive the human sense of touch is.
Regards,
Bruno

ourgon

Post by ourgon »

glbpro wrote:Hmm! I never thought of that :)

Does the handle get in the way when you sit down? What about driving with it in that position? And how do you re-sheath, seeing that it's impossible to see the mouth of the sheath? By muscle memory I suppose ;)

And what about drawing the knife - do you draw downwards into a hammer grip or a reverse grip? Or do you reverse your hand and draw into a conventional grip?

I draw it with hammer grip, when I carry it on right hip and you can see where g-clip is pinned. IMO it's comfortable way to carry fixed blade with 5" blade when you walk or ride on bicycle/motorbike. This method is inconvenient option for car drivers IMO. And I don't carry such large fixed blade all the time, only sometimes. I carry Street Beat too, it's more friendly edc for man from city.
:spyder: Street Bowie
:spyder: Street Beat
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Starmate 440V
:spyder: Police SS
:spyder: Endura IV FG
:spyder: ClipiTool
SpeedHoles

Re: Serrata Arrived!

Post by SpeedHoles »

Bump for glbpros' awesome photos of the Serrata! :D
Going back to Caly.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

SpeedHoles wrote:Bump for glbpros' awesome photos of the Serrata! :D
You're welcome! :)
PiggyBackJack

Post by PiggyBackJack »

I carry mine horizontally on the right hip. This gives me an easy access to the blade while keeping it close to the body and out of the way when I move around in the woods. It also frees up my left hip for a large camp knife or a hatchet.

I have a bunch of pics of the Serrata from a camping trip a couple weeks back and I've promised to do a write up on the knife. Maybe I'll post it this weekend if I can find the time!

All in all it's a great design and it's quickly becoming my new favorite outdoor knife. :)
QM on the S/Y Modesty under Captain T.