Not Buying Another Spyderco....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tonie Nichols

Not Buying Another Spyderco....

Post by Tonie Nichols »

...until we get some word on the Pygmy Warrior or Mini-Hobbit or whatever it's being called.

Dagnabit, I saw the prototype at the April Eugene knife show and heard that it would be available around July. Heard something about the sheaths being made right then.

Here I am in November, snowed in, sharpening an old CRKT and feeling more than a little cheated that I don't have a Pygmy Warrior on my belt.

C'mon Spyderguys, isn't there something you can tell us?
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

I visited Spydeco HQ about three weeks ago. Sal offered the Pigmy should be ready very soon. He did not say but I'm thinking they really want to get the sheath right for the Pigmy. The sheath for the Spyderco Warrior, although a beautiful piece of Cordura work, does not work at all well using a synthetic insert and that's been a real sticking point (no pun intended) since the knife came out.

Sal is working on the folding Hobbit (I thought old REKAT had to re-name the Hobbit knives, courtesy of Disney's legal folks way back then, but I could be in error) and said he has to figure out how to incorporate the Spidey hole into the new rendition. I am hopeful they do a REKAT SIFU as that would be easier to "make Spidey" and is truly a very stalwart magnum folder. Compression lock for sure, I'm thinking.

I predict the Pigmy will blow the Spyderco Warrior out of the ballpark. Why? Because the Pigmy is truly replicated from the original Randy Wanner design of the Warrior. Sharpened upper point (enhanced penetration) leading to true sawtooth feature (for trapping/creating generous wound channel and organ/tissue damage), reversed double guard to ensure no hand slippage onto the blade regardless of conditions, and so on. The full size custom, Al Mar Knives and REKAT models were true battle blade size knives. The Pigmy is well considered "downsize" which will carry easier on current military body armor rigs or wherever else one wants or needs to hang one.

Hence the sheath having to be absolutely spot on out of the gate, IMHO.

And although I understand they are going to ship out the 60 page Warrior brochure with each Pigmy it also, like the Spyderco Warrior, was not influenced by Mike Echanis (other than his suggestion to Wanner that a serration be added - which became a sawtooth and not a serration but was still a more aggressive second edge - the serration on the Spyderco Warrior actually does reflect Echanis' original and only recommendation now nearly 40 years later) :)
GW
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

Greg,

Thanx for the save there. I was wondering who I was going to have to give my money too and ask them to buy me a knife if I didn't get a response. Kinda like the underage kid hanging around the liquor store, " hey Mister will you buy me a bottle...errr...knife?"

I totally agree on the issue regarding the sheath. I could only assume that the sheath meets some kind of military qualifications as opposed to the wants of the hobbyist practitioner such as myself. I actually carried my REKAT Hobbit for some time. At first it was standard strong side reverse grip but the wide end of the guard did painful things to my side. So I rigged an upside down behind the back carry, my version of Crocodile Dundee, which was surprisingly comfortable. Did have a rather nasty habit of cutting the waistband of my jacket on the draw.

Of course, as with the original Hobbit, the Pygmy will have the same issue of whether it's considered double edged or not. Here in Oregon the concealed carry laws can be easily interpreted to preclude any such piece. Kind of hard to argue that it's not. So it will stay at home, but it will be lovingly practiced with nonetheless.

As I've posted elsewhere in these forums I have a bit of history with the REKAT knives so Spydie versions would be an absolute delight.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Prototype REKAT Pygmy Warriors had no guard (did the sheaths for them) and the Spyderco version has none as well.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

****! That's a shame! I forgot to even ask to see the proto while visiting Sal.

Guess I'm so used to seeing Warriors and Hobbits (yes, and bears, too) with guards that the guardless Pigmy never registered.

Thanks for the correction, Mike!

I live in Oregon, as well, and as now long retired Oregon cop I can tell you the Concealed Carry law applies only to firearms.

If for any reason you'd get patted down and found with a Pigmy or any other similar knife tucked away all hidden like...there'd be questions at the very least.

Today I'm much more mellow :)
GW
emeliafaith

Post by emeliafaith »

Such cleaver work and reporting .Keep up the great works guys i've added you guys to my blog roll. This is a great .....